Most likely to fight - Matthews, Marner, or Nylander?

which one is most likely to receive a fighting major in their career?

• Total voters

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I’ve noticed a bit more bite to Matthews’ game as he gets more comfortable in the league. I vividly remember Nylander taking Carlson down in the playoffs. I mean, Mitch is fearless too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’d take the light heavyweight here in Marner. The guy needs to get bigger again too. Get in the gym Magic. I think he’s decided or someone has decided this 175 is a good weight for him for his frame. I think extensive core,leg is fine but would like him more at 185 for his height.

He might scrap when he gets bigger but lol right now the refs could beat him ;)

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Even Sundin dropped the mitts once or twice in his career, and he basically just bearhugged his opponent into submission. I could see Matty doing something similar at the end of a playoff game.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The comments in this thread about Nylander show how real the bias has developed against him.

As it stands, he's the only one of the three that's gotten into a physical on ice altercation. Both times stopped short of a full fight, but it's happened. Matthews can lose his cool once and awhile, but overall him and Marner are no where near scrums.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great poll. Fun. My vote would be none if that choice existed. Mitch is really calm kid but based on genetics I would take him. But it would have to be defending a team mate. I have never seen him go when provoked to go.

Reactions: WillyNy

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
I could see Mitch surprising us and having a good scrap sometime, kind of like Nuge did the other night

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Marner would be the most likely to do it for fun. Matthews has some moments where you can tell he's seeing red. In the right circumstances I could see him going off on someone.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Initially I thought Nylander would, but there's something about Marner that makes my gut feel he will be in the first fight at least.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I went against the grain and voted Marner.

Remember, this is who is most LIKELY to fight, not "who might be best suited" to fight (in which case it's obviously Matthews).
I went with the more emotional player, the more "true blue" hockey player who has shown the most desire and actual grit. And Marner knows, especially if it was playoffs, how the team would respond if he went into a situation throwing punches, all hell would break loose.

Great idea for a poll btw, kudos.

Reactions: WillyNy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Last week against Dallas we saw Matthews in that scrum after Sandin got hit from behind into the boards and that's as close as we seen to him getting into a fight.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Why be pessimistic? Fighting is well on the way to becoming weird, as it ought to be, like it is in other sports.

I for one am optimistic that we are in the Golden Age of Leafs management and so we will seek skill and speed above all else, know that for the Leafs, toughness leads to penalties, especially in the playoffs, and so hopefully neither of them will ever fight.

Think of it as a feel -good story: Moron Man might want Patrick O'Thuggo here, but our GM does not!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Matthews throws some good hits every now and then and stands up for himself well in scrum situations. He's big and strong and should be fine assuming he selects the right opponent.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Nylander is the only one of the 3 to even get involved in scrums and has bodied a few people, yet he's in last place.. Really makes you wonder what those Canadian blinders do to ya.
Marner get in a fight? He's been in less scrums in his career than Kessel had in his injury shortened first year as a leaf.. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But don't boost up Marner, he's soft ice cream.

Nylander > Matthews >>> Marner

(No slight on any of them as players, they are all fantastic)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad