Most likely to fight - Matthews, Marner, or Nylander?

which one is most likely to receive a fighting major in their career?

• Total voters

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Don't get me wrong, Matthews & Nylander are great players but Marner cares much more about being a Leaf.

He would absoutely fight someone to protect a teammate. He wrestled Ristolanen off Matthews if i Recall.

Reactions: Lauro and ULF_55

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Matthews has his angry moments, thought after the Sandin thing if he wasn’t the third man in that could’ve escalated to his first

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Nylander has had the closest thing to a fight out of all of them. Surprising that he's not picked.

Him and John Carlson inadvertently agreed to a wrestling match in the caps leafs series and Will got the takedown.

That's the closest thing I've seen to a fight out of any of them so I think he should win this poll.

Also poll should include Gauthier and Gardiner (wait nvm)

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
I think Matthews will have a few fights in his career. He and his opponent will throw a few punches that may or may not land, then they'll allow the refs to jump in.

Still waiting for Marner vs. Chara in game 7 of the next playoff, where Marner takes down "Goliath" and establishes himself as the league Alpha, en route to a big series win. :sarcasm:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Willie will do it out of the three. As he is the only one who got a little brother in the league, lol.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Matthews will have a few fights in his career. He and his opponent will throw a few punches that may or may not land, then they'll allow the refs to jump in.

Still waiting for Marner vs. Chara in game 7 of the next playoff, where Marner takes down "Goliath" and establishes himself as the league Alpha, en route to a big series win. :sarcasm:
Would rather watch Marner VS Marchand

Reactions: HabsInsider

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Probably Mathews (even though I don't see him doing it either). Nylander and Marner stay far away from the scrums as possible.

Really wish our star players played with more of an edge like Tampa's star players do

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think Matthews will have one moment, probably in a playoff game where he will lose his mind on somebody. He's also freakishly strong so it could end badly for the other guy. I dont see the other two doing anything.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Tough poll.

All three have very soft hands. Imo, If they ever fight, it'll be in the playoffs.

Auston is obviously the biggest one in size, stature, and value to the team. He would ideally be face washing, and wrestling his opponent down. I'd prefer if he never fights.

Marner might be someone who can use his edgework to evade initially, land a few quick jabs and then pull off a fast, sneaky move, and drop his opponent. I prefer he never fights too.

Nylander fighting would be similar to Semin's attempt. I prefer if he doesn't ever fight too. Swedes like him, are very even keel, they really only get aggressive when a teammate gets hurt. So, say in the playoffs a Leaf got boarded in front of his eyes. Ya, I think he drops em.

Winning fights is a big momentum boost. Can be 'huge' if done by the core players like Crosby, Ovi, etc. But too much risk.

I don't know if it's crucial to need it from core players, but the beauty of the big game and the emotions all make it a possibility one day, depending on how far they go.

Will you take the risk? If you are aggressive and land the first punch, you're the hero. The roof is on FIRE at SBA. But if you miss, you're on your ass, and now the momentum has shifted, and you're injured. SBA is dead quiet.

I'd prefer 'Boston angry Hyman' out of all of them. He would destroy anyone in the playoffs.

I'd like to see 'Boston angry Hyman' vs. Tom Wilson.

Reactions: LeafsRus

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I consider them all the same basically... Each of them we have seen get really pissed with Marner tackling someone, Matthews throwing a punch (and missing) and Nylander two handing a guy just because he was pissing him off

They all would prefer not to fight

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think all of them will eventually get in at least one fight in their respective careers. But voted Matthews as most likely, he gets pissed at times, and he’s a big, strong dude who could likely throw down decently.

Reactions: NHL WAR

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Probably Mathews (even though I don't see him doing it either). Nylander and Marner stay far away from the scrums as possible.

Really wish our star players played with more of an edge like Tampa's star players do
In terms of fights, Kucherov has 2 (0.29 per year), Stamkos has 5 (0.45 per year), and Point has 4 (1 per year)in their careers.

Is 1.74 fights per season from our top players really worth them possibly breaking their hands or getting a concussion from fighting? Definitely not.

I agree somebody on the ice should stand up when shady things happen but let somebody like Hyman or Muzzin or somebody do that stuff. They can handle themselves and know how to protect themselves properly.

Reactions: LeafsRus and Rogie

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I hope none of them. But I think Marner would be the kinda guy if you actually managed to get to him look out cause he will be a Tasmanian Devil at your face.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Thats like sayig "whats softer, a feather, a Q-tip or a cotton ball."

Just cause they don't bump and grind because they don't need to and shouldn't doesn't mean they aren't strong athletes that could still thump a lot of the big tough guys on these boards.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander has “dropped the gloves” twice already, it says something about those “fights” that neither was a fighting major though, couple of wrestling matches basically

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

Oh man the hilarity that would ensue should that fantasy ever come to life...Chara would never live it down lmao

Reactions: HabsInsider

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Barb Underhill fights before any of these guys do.

Gun to my head, I say Matthews, but Wendel would come over the boards to throw ‘em before that could happen....

member 300185

Just cause they don't bump and grind because they don't need to and shouldn't doesn't mean they aren't strong athletes that could still thump a lot of the big tough guys on these boards.

Yeah, so? I was making a comment about the op's question and making an analogy that they are all soft. Then you get all angry and shiite. I didn't say they weren't valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad