Most improved player this season

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I'm going with JVR - he's consistently good this year, whereas last season we just saw it in flashes. As well, he's really developed his skill game to go along with his front-of-the-net play. I think there's still room for him to grow as well - he's like a fast skating version of Dave Andreychuk.

Phaneuf has also taken his defensive play to the next level - he's eliminated the risk element from his game and become a genuine elite shutdown d-man. No more "#1 by default".

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Gonna have to give it to Bozak. I wanted him traded for the longest time, and was furious when Nonis signed him to a $4.2m/year contract, but I'm eating crow now, and am very happy to see him finally stepping up his game.

Hopefully this year isn't just an anomaly for him.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Wasn't on our team last year, but I'm guessing we are getting way more miles out of Gleason than anticipated.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Phaneuf. He's very quitely elevated his game and become an incredibly solid shutdown defenceman.

That being said, I'm surprised to see this as so much of a runaway for Bozak. He really isn't much different than he was last year, just joining the offence a little bit more.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
By looking at producion alone Bozak has exceeded everyone's expectations, even his biggest supporters but whether it can last I'm not so sure.

Went with JVR, he's been a beast this year, using his body alot more and I love how he's crashing the net protecting the puck in that awesome power move.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Bozak quite easily...now a poll of who regressed the most this year? I'd easily give that to Franson. That man toyed with our emotion with his superb showing during the Boston series and this year he's done a 180 and looks like a barely serviceable defenseman in the NHL.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Bozak followed by JVR.

Bozak has just been outstanding this year, he's been an impact player in almost every game he's played this season, and it shows on the scoresheet. 4.2M for that production is looking pretty sweet right now, hopefully he can at least manage to stay a 60 pt centre from here on out.

And JVR has just been unbelievable. I called it in pre-season, I KNEW he was going to have a great season when I watched him burn by everyone during the pre-season games, and now he's cemented himself as a consistent top line threat, while having great chemistry with Phil. It's been a treat to watch him this season, and he's my favourite player on the team behind only Kadri now. Hard not to love a player with all of his qualities.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
JVR cause he went from a 2nd/3rd liner undefined role to a legit first liner could hit 70 points but most valuable for his net presence.

Mar 26, 2010
Bozak has been simply awesome! He has really showed the haters what time it is.

Good for him. Classy guy and happy to have him in Toronto!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I voted JVR because I feel he's taken his game to the next level. On the cusp of becoming a superstar.

I've always liked Bozak and I don't think he's doing much different this year from last, maybe getting some puck luck but the kid's solid. Just shows how little some people around here know.
I don't know about that. He's been playing a really solid 2-way game for a few seasons now, but he's taken his game to another level this season IMO. Offensively, he's just playing with way more confidence. Really finishing his chances consistently, making quick decisions and great passes, stronger on the puck, just making more of an impact. He always did this in flashes before, but it was mixed in with periods where he was flubbing on prime chances, not really pushing into the heart of the defence with the puck, etc. Now he's playing well from start to finish of pretty much every game.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
JVR. He's crushing his career bests.

Bozak is playing the same way he always has, just on pace for an extra 15-20 points.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hard to argue with Bozak's offensive output. His skills in the shootout is also a major bonus. He's been clutch.

Bernier technically has taken the biggest step from the previous season, even if he wasn't on our team. He's played close to 50 games I believe all ready and sporting a pretty good record along with top 10-12 goaltending stats.

Rielly is getting there. He seems to finally have gotten the word defensve. It still needs to get better but it's been a lot better lately.

ForSpareParts*

I can't understand why there's so many votes for Bozak. He was a good player last season. The last 1/3 of the (shortened) season he was solid.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I can't understand why there's so many votes for Bozak. He was a good player last season. The last 1/3 of the (shortened) season he was solid.

Simple, he's surpassed his supposed absolute ceiling from last year! :nod:

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Not disagreeing with other's opinions, but I'm surprised Dion isn't getting more props here, he's transformed his defensive game so much.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
From that list I'd go JVR but IMO, Kulemin has improved the most over last year.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
How could this not be Bozak? If he can sustain this level of play, he's hovering around Pavelski territory. I.E Fringe #1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad