Most improved player this season

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Which current Leaf do you think has improved the most this season from last?

The contenders:

Kessel: just keeps getting better and establishing himself as an elite offensive player

JVR: has established himself as a bonafide first line player, finally living up to draft position

Bozak: after being labeled a 3rd line center, is playing at nearly a ppg clip this year and is a borderline #1 C / hi-end #2

Phaneuf: previously known for his great offense and defensive brain cramps, on pace for his best +/- season ever has been one of the league's best defensive defensemen.

Bernier: a backup goalie last season, playing like a top 10 starting goalie in the NHL now

MOD:This is not a Kadri thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I'd say Bozak. But JVR has really turned it up this season as well but that potential was always there. Bozak has really figured out his role and played well

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Bozak quite easily for me.

Defensively we aren't as strong I would say so wouldn't really say any of them have improved.

Kessel and JVR have improved, but not at the level of Bozak. All the other forwards I would say are the same/worse. Anyone else like Bernier or Bolland or Rielly we didn't have last year so can't say they improved from last year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bozak seems like a new man this year. In the past it looked like he was settling into a kind of Matt Stajan type vanilla player who didn't do anything particularly well other than faceoffs but where did this good under pressure and much improved scoring touch come from?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Bozak, Gunnarsson, & idk if he counts but Rielly has improved a ton.

I left Rielly off since it's hard to quantify the improvement from a lesser league to a higher level.

I thought about including Gunnar in the poll, but to me he's just been his usual reliable self.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I went with Bernier. He had a lot to prove and through 65 games has met, if not exceeded everyones expectations.

Phil was at this level last year. Dion has been criminally underrated for years.

I suppose Bozak is my runner up, although its not really unexpected.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
JVR is finally putting it together this year. But he always was 6 foot 3, strong, good shot, fast, great hands, elite around the net, etc... So that being said Bozak actually looks like a completely different player, voted him. It almost seems like he's faster this year, but I think he's just more noticeable all around

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tough question, obvious choice is Bozak, but I think he is playing just the way he did last season with the exception of the points. He was always a good 2 way player.

Think Kessel may be the choice, he has taken his game to even a higher level, and all that is in question is if he can maintain it to the end of the season.

Looking a bit tired of late, hopefully he can get his second wind for the home stretch.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Not that I've been able to watch him much in years previous to this one, but a case could certainly be made for Troy Bodie. Don't see how he could have ever played like this and not carved out an NHL career yet.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Definitely Bozak, he's proved me wrong. I only thought of him as a third liner before hand, but he's valuable with Kessel and JVR.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
JVR last year was a good player but not a game changer. He's clearly faster and more creative this year. Much more of a pure force than just a finisher/net presence.

Bozak, Gunnarsson, Kessel, Bodie are honorable mentions.

Bernier was always good, he just couldnt beat quick.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Kessel has been a force this year.... JVR has been amazing and just keeps getting better.... Bozak is turning into a #1C.... Bernier has been terrific and single handedly stolen us points....Rielly has improved just about every game along the way.... Phaneuf has been a defensive horse...Kadri is making smarter plays and is now beginning to look like he too can add a next level to his game

Hard to say who has improved the most but it's great that we have so many players improving and bringing this team to a new level. Gotta say I'm excited about the next few years as this group is gonna continue to improve. We have a solid young core just entering their prime.

But it's all about the playoff run... I'm hoping that these guys have another gear to give, if they do then we are gonna challenge for the conference. That ultimately will show just how much this team has improved as a group.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Kessel and Phaenuf have been outstanding, but they were awesome last year. For me it's definitely between Bozak, JvR and Bernier. I went with Bozak, who has made massive strides in his game. While still not a dominant #1, star centre, he has progressed into a really good top 6 centre with a very complete game. Up until this year I've thought "we really need to find a legit #1 C for Phil", but I no longer feel that way, Bozak has matured into a solid long-term option.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I voted JVR, he is becoming much more dangerous in all situations and is constantly pushing himself to try new things.

I understand voting Bozak but I've always thought he was a good player so I am not overly surprised by his year. He is essentially the same Bozak with more confidence, I don't think he has changed much.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Cocoon Bozak offensively. Still hasnt got a clue defensively but his offense is coming along.

Rielly should definitely be mentioned. His defensive play the last 10 games has been exceptional and is really cutting down the costly errors. His offense isnt there yet, and probably wont be for a few years, but the fact that his defensive game is coming along is far more important.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd have to go with Bernier.

He established himself as a NHL regular starting goalie and has done so successfully in front of one the weakest defensive NHL teams.

That makes Leafs MVP on the season and thereby the most improved.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think Kessel and Bozak are doing pretty much what they did last season, perhaps Bozak have taken another step forward. Gunnarsson have improved but that is mostly because his hip injury does not affect him as much this season.

My vote went to JVR who I think looks dangerous every game he plays, more or less.

Kadri have also shown that he can handle a more exposed role pretty well. He plays almost two more minutes per game this season.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bozak for me clearly, since the other big contributers have previously shown closer to their current level of play. I would qualify that with "most improved season" since he would have to perform like this for 80ish games or more to validate this as a sustainable level of play.

He is shooting more in big games and is being held shotless less often, indicating not lucky bounces but more participation in the attack and less watching it. This is a new and repeatable aspect to his game and if he continues, it makes it much tougher to shut down the line by just collaring Phil.

Honorable mention to Bernier, who did look like a young stud in LA and always had the rep, but he has survived in the shooting gallery and shown up on many nights when the skaters haven't. By the numbers still not any better than Reimer last year though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bozak AINEC.

Only one who comes close is Bernier.

We saw this level of play from JVR last season

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Defensively Gardiner has improved a ton since last season so I would've picked him. Still has the turnovers but he has become very solid in his own zone and along the boards.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I voted JVR because I feel he's taken his game to the next level. On the cusp of becoming a superstar.

I've always liked Bozak and I don't think he's doing much different this year from last, maybe getting some puck luck but the kid's solid. Just shows how little some people around here know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad