Most improved player of 2023-24

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As far as Ottawa is concerned:

Drake Batherson was -35 playing on a line with Alex DeBrincat last season (-31) which was good for 3rd worst in the NHL among forwards.

This year, he's hit career highs in goals (28), points (63) and his plus/minus is back to a more reasonable -8 on a team that is struggling overall.

All for just under $5M.

Jake Sanderson would be another candidate in terms of emerging as Ottawa's #1D as a sophomore. Part of that is obviously due to struggles from Chabot and Chychrun.

Reactions: Felidae

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Lucas Raymond went from a small young guy that struggled with puck battles that benefited from playing with Larkin to a guy that's seeking out and winning puck battles and is driving his line.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And every time Hab fans would propose Drouin to Avs, Avs fans would laugh us off.

23a2fe8541338b21873b2c2054d02af43e3627e4.gif

That said, I'm really happy for Drouin. Most Hab fans (myself included) knew he would thrive in a quieter market. Hope he gets to 60 pts.

Of course? He was literally worthless before this year. Soft, oft-injured, one dimensional player. Of course Avs fans and the Avs had no interest in trading any value for him.

Just points to yet again how good the Avs coaching staff are at getting the absolute best out of those sorts of players. 9 months ago not even the most optimistic Avs fans thought Drouin had this ability in him away from the puck.

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Jake Neighbours deserves a mention as he took a step forward this year.

JT Miller having a career year at 31 for points as well as almost double his career +/- wasn't on the prediction list.

Last edited:
Reactions: alasania94

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I came here to say this. A career 40-45 pts 3rd liner who suddenly becomes a ppg guy at 34 years old. Congrats to anyone who saw this coming.

I didn't predict it but I'm not as surprised about Gus Nyquist as some.

He was sensational when he broke into the league with 28 goals in 57 games.

Listen to Wings fans anticipation when he gets the puck.

But he had a bad shoulder injury early on which dogged him throughout what would have been his prime years. Oh what could have been.

It slowed him down and made him a softer player. We had threads here about how bad he was in the playoffs, which were overstated but he still wasn't very good.

After his first year in Columbus he had major shoulder surgery and took the following year off to recover. After a few months back you could tell how much stronger he was, impossible to knock off the puck. He had a great second half. Then last year he looked good, though he didn't have regular linemates and not a lot of scoring, until he had a separate shoulder injury which cost him several months.

Gus was great for the Wild at the end of last year, 5 pts in 3 regular season games and then actually had the best playoff series of his career last Spring with the Wild, 5 assists in 6 games. I'm not super surprised that he can play the way he does with a strong center and another point per game wing opposite him, Gus is a really smart player who is very difficult to knock off the puck.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Danton Heinen - He was an early-season PTO for the Bruins and did not get into any games until later on. No team wanted him, eventually he made his way to the top line and has been very good this year, playing for the league minimum.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Saw Nyquist's totals a few days ago and was surprised to see him bloom so late. Felt like he always had the potential.

TB's candidate would likely be Darren Raddysh. At 28 years old, he seemed like a career AHLer (at least to me). Now he has 31 points as a defenseman and plays 19 minutes per night on our top pair.

Honorable mention to Brandon Hagel, who's 9th in ES scoring, league wide, on a team that's been objectively bad 5v5.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
As far as Ottawa is concerned:

Drake Batherson was -35 playing on a line with Alex DeBrincat last season (-31) which was good for 3rd worst in the NHL among forwards.

This year, he's hit career highs in goals (28), points (63) and his plus/minus is back to a more reasonable -8 on a team that is struggling overall.

All for just under $5M.

Jake Sanderson would be another candidate in terms of emerging as Ottawa's #1D as a sophomore. Part of that is obviously due to struggles from Chabot and Chychrun.

Jake Sanderson has been very impressive. That was an excellent pick by Ottawa.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Seguin is having his best statistical season since 2018-19 on the lowest TOI since his rookie year (16:32). Didn’t have a bad season last year, but just looking really good this season.

IMG_0902.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

At 5 v. 5, there are 11 players in both the Top 30 players in both goals/60 and points/60.

In order of TOI:
Panarin
Matthews
Point
Pastranak
Hyman
B. Tkachuk
Johnston
Hischier
Seguin
Hoglander
W. Karlsson