Most eye-popping/ highest stats at any level?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Tony hand has some ridiculous seasons too - 216 pts in 35 games in a professional League, mind you a very low tier professional League.

He's considered the UK's Wayne Gretzky and even had a chance to play with him but went back home after getting home sick and the oilers sent him to the WHL to develop for a season....he had 8 pts in 3 WHL games.

I think Messier was quoted saying aside from Gretzky he had the highest IQ of anyone at oilers training camp that year. Definitely a big what -if for the oilers and the NHL in general

You have to consider that while Hand had outrageous totals, he was far from the only one to do so in the British leagues. Your 216 point season, for example, he finished second overall in the league, to a teammate even (who had 242 points in 34 games).

As I understand, the British league of the 1980s (when Hand played) was very dependent on Canadian imports for their top lines, while there seems to have been restrictions in terms of import goalies. The results led to lopsided scoring as players coming from AHL/IHL (and even some NHL experience) background feasted on players who were far less skilled. Eliteprospects backs this up: the 1986-87 season (the one in discussion here), has exclusively British goalies in the top 20 for save percentage, while the top scorers are mainly Canadian. It is because Hand, a Scottish player, consistently placed among the imports that he gained notoriety.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
You have to consider that while Hand had outrageous totals, he was far from the only one to do so in the British leagues. Your 216 point season, for example, he finished second overall in the league, to a teammate even (who had 242 points in 34 games).

As I understand, the British league of the 1980s (when Hand played) was very dependent on Canadian imports for their top lines, while there seems to have been restrictions in terms of import goalies. The results led to lopsided scoring as players coming from AHL/IHL (and even some NHL experience) background feasted on players who were far less skilled. Eliteprospects backs this up: the 1986-87 season (the one in discussion here), has exclusively British goalies in the top 20 for save percentage, while the top scorers are mainly Canadian. It is because Hand, a Scottish player, consistently placed among the imports that he gained notoriety.
fair enough, he did lead that league in scoring a few times though like in 95' when his 207 pts was 40 more than the next top scorer, for example.

But yeah , it was basically always him and a bunch of Canadians in the top 10, all of whom would put up like 150+

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
fair enough, he did lead that league in scoring a few times though like in 95' when his 207 pts was 40 more than the next top scorer, for example.

But yeah , it was basically always him and a bunch of Canadians in the top 10, all of whom would put up like 150+

Totally, and I don't want to say Hand wasn't good by any means. That he was able to keep up with guys who had solid North American experience, often including some NHL games, is a testament to how good he was. Few Brits were doing the same thing at the time.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I like seeing those players that put up a ton of points and pims in the same season.... Like for instance Shanahan in 93/94 when he got 52g. 50a 102 pts. and 211pims

there were alot of those types of stats back then

I like those stats as well. How did they get all those points while being in the penalty box half the time.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Tony hand has some ridiculous seasons too - 216 pts in 35 games in a professional League, mind you a very low tier professional League.

He's considered the UK's Wayne Gretzky and even had a chance to play with him but went back home after getting home sick and the oilers sent him to the WHL to develop for a season....he had 8 pts in 3 WHL games.

I think Messier was quoted saying aside from Gretzky he had the highest IQ of anyone at oilers training camp that year. Definitely a big what -if for the oilers and the NHL in general
Just to put those numbers in context though:

Gary Unger, at the end of his NHL career, playing with the high scoring Edmonton Oilers scored only 23 points in his last 87 NHL games.

That same 40 year old Gary Unger (after being retired from pro hockey altogether for 3 and 1/2 seasons, scored 238 points in only 30 games (7.93 PPG).

Tony Hand had 215 points in 35 games (6.14 PPG) in the same league that same season, and was half Unger’s age.

Gretzky never said Hand had the highest IQ…I believe it was Glen Sather however that paid him a huge compliment when he said “other than Gretzky, Hand is the most intelligent player on the ice“ (at the Oilers training camp).

Edit:

Here is the exact quote:

Hand," said Sather, "is the most intelligent player on the ice - bar Gretzky, of course."

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
There is only one that stands above all.

6.02 ppg

71-72

Brantford Nadrofsky Steelers
League: Midget
GP: 85
G: 378
A: 139
TP: 517

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad