GDT: Most Extreme Hockey Challenge - 7:00 PM - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I looked at the Carter goal again, it was definitely kicked by the standards they set against us multiple times earlier this year

If it hit PO Joseph's skate, it was merely a redirect and not a kick. I don't think the Devils have been screwed on any kick goals this year.

I knew they wouldn’t overturn it, but wasn’t Haula guided into the goalie by the defender? Is that not part of the rule?

Sure, but I don't think Haula's path was altered. If Haula were taking a different route and was pushed into the goalie then yeah, but that's not really what happened.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If it hit PO Joseph's skate, it was merely a redirect and not a kick. I don't think the Devils have been screwed on any kick goals this year.

Sure, but I don't think Haula's path was altered. If Haula were taking a different route and was pushed into the goalie then yeah, but that's not really what happened.

Hamilton did the exact same thing, turning his skate to redirect a puck into the net. This was deemed a “distinct kicking motion” and the goal was taken away. They didn’t even look at this goal.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Hamilton did the exact same thing, turning his skate to redirect a puck into the net. This was deemed a “distinct kicking motion” and the goal was taken away. They didn’t even look at this goal.

No, he didn't. These are not remotely the same. That said, they should've looked at this one, but they would've deemed it good.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
I looked at the Carter goal again, it was definitely kicked by the standards they set against us multiple times earlier this year
NHL trying to cover their ass awarding the goal to Carter pretending he got another touch to it

No, he didn't. These are not remotely the same. That said, they should've looked at this one, but they would've deemed it good.
Too bad we don’t have a super slow mo that I’ve seen, but definitely looks like POJ propels it forward which the NHL (usually) rules a kick. Carter does not touch it with his backhand after even though his stick is close

Reactions: My3Sons

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Lots of great Haula talk. This player frustrates me almost as much as any Devil (with Brendan Smith in the conversation).

I get that Ruff wants someone who is defensively responsible and can take faceoffs to play with Hughes. However, he has ONE goal on a line with one of the most electric, playmaking centers in the NHL. The term “snake bitten” does not apply here with nearly a half season sample size. Haula is just a poor offensive player at this point.

I’m not saying Haula is devoid of value. However, if this team is going to make a serious run, he needs to be on the third line and Hughes needs a scorer to ride shotgun.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dougie is not a liability. He’s not perfect, because he’s not Makar or whatever and he makes the occasional mistake like every defenseman in the league, but he is a net positive at preventing pucks from going in our net. True defensive liabilities don’t run numbers like he does, sorry.

And it’s a lot easier to find a dude to PK than it is to find a dude to dominate every other game state, so who cares at ALL about pk time when talking about him.

Dougie has his flaws, including that he’s a bit soft. We paid market price for him as a top UFA too, so the best we can expect is him being worth his deal and he is now. He is what he is.

He’s immensely valuable, that’s how he got 9m and you don’t hear anyone other than some contrarians here saying it’s a terrible contract now. (He got questioned a bit last season due to injury and us sucking but that faded.)

We aren’t remotely in the same position without him. You aren’t a top team, or even very good team, offensively without a lot of production from the blue line.

That was a major reason this team was offensive deadzone for years, we never got any production from a very non-dynamic blueline. Sorry but defensemen have done more than defend since Bobby Orr just as forwards have can have big defensive roles.

And offensive creativity from defensemen is not bad either, good lord.

I really like Severson (I do!) but he’s had a habit of turning off his brain around our net since forever. It’s the one criticism I really do have of him and one thing I won’t miss. And that doesn’t come from some boundless offensive creativity either.

Losing Severson will be tough though, he’s showing his value right now. People don’t seem to value PMD even though teams run through them.

That said, even before we got Marino I couldn’t imagine signing Severson to a long term deal at 6.5m or whatever and being thrilled when he’s 30 and knowing he was locked up for another 4-6 years.

You have to be more careful about defense spending, the position’s budget is much smaller. And I won’t miss him doing dumb shit around our own net (our fans wanted to give Marino the Norris mainly because he did smart things around our net).

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I could probably find videos of Matthews whiffing on shots. I definitely agree Jack’s shot has improved dramatically but it was never as horrible as it’s being portrayed imo.

That was the 2nd goal of his career.

I don't disagree, I just love that highlight :laugh: Like, that would 100% be me trying to take a slapshot lol

Reactions: Devs3cups

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the whole puck kicking rule has to be changed, it’s way too ambiguous. either make every goal off a skate count, or make none of them count. there’s very little consistency right now.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
the whole puck kicking rule has to be changed, it’s way too ambiguous. either make every goal off a skate count, or make none of them count. there’s very little consistency right now.
You can’t let guys wearing knives on their feet kick things. They can make the rule better though. Maybe allow the goal if the skate stays on the ice?

Reactions: MartyOwns

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
just caught up on the game!

vanacek really bailed us out, love to see it. sometimes u need ur best players to be ur best players and that was the case tonight in my opinion. jack nico and hamilton all crushed it.

defense was incredible tonight, but i thought it was more a problem with pittsburgh. for the life of me i could not figure out why they kept putting ty smith on the first Pp when clearly it wasn’t working. maybe it’s cuz we all have seen him for years, but they could’ve put someone better up top even with letang out. put doumilin there or something.

i couldn’t help but really analyze it, but ty just went for the shot most of the time which is good on paper, but he wasn’t feeding crosby or malkin at all.

either way, gutsy performance by the boys, they played so calm going into the third and to the final minutes. loved it.

Reactions: Bleedred

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With all this Severson talk, I'm gonna miss that guy when he probably walks in UFA next summer. He was one of better players in our worst era (yes even worse than the 80's), you can make the case he didn't help but he had some pretty good offensive years behind some trash forwards/defenses. Not to mention that cataclysmic goaltending we had last year. Hopefully he signs out West so we don't have to worry about him within conference or cup chases somewhere. Kinda of a shame we're on the uptick on his last year here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad