Most dissapointing season?

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Hey all, I am a writer for http://alongtheboards.com/, and I am currently working on a 30 teams article about the most disappointing season since 2000 for different franchises.

I don't have many people to discuss the Hurricanes with, so I figured I would come straight to the source here and see what you all thought was the most disappointing season since 2000. To me something like the 2012-2013 lockout season was a big letdown for the Hurricanes, given how the team looked on paper and how the year started, but there are likely better options than that during the cup run years.

I would love to hear some thoughts, thanks again.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
What year was it that Tampa beat us in the last game? A game that meant the season to us, nothing to them, yet they beat us anyways? That season.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What year was it that Tampa beat us in the last game? A game that meant the season to us, nothing to them, yet they beat us anyways? That season.

07-08 was worse. Same situation, but with Florida as the last game. Florida, the team we had beat over and over again that year. Plus, we had led the division for almost the entire year, until Washington made a ridiculous run at the end of the year and took it on the last ****in day.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
For me, the most disappointing season was 2002-2003. We went from Stanley Cup finalist to dead last in the league (61 points). We lost a lot of momentum as a franchise.

Missing the playoffs in 2007 after winning the cup in 2006 is also a huge disappointment.

We just seem to always fail on building something special.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This. I had never felt broken after leaving a hockey game before, that was awful.

I still can't listen to "In the Air Tonight" because they played it before that game and it just brings up bad memories. Though if there's one good thing that came from that game, I believe they retired the Jurassic Park T-Rex roar "Get Loud" clip after that game.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
07-08. With the way the Hurricanes had control over the playoff race all season, control over the division all season, just to see it taken away at the very end, against a team that up to that point in franchise history we had seemingly done nothing but *****slap at every given opportunity.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
07-08 was bad. Watched on TV and punched a wall afterwards, but i am weak so it just hurt my hand really bad.

10-11 was bad because i traveled to atlanta to see the second to last game in which we destroyed the thrashers to set up the lightning game.

05-06 was bad because it set unrealistic expectations that we could actually make the playoffs in years like 07-08 and 10-11.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
07-08 for sure. The 14 year old me was crushed that we lost to the lowly Panthers, a team that (at the time) we had continually beaten every time we played them at home.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I still can't listen to "In the Air Tonight" because they played it before that game and it just brings up bad memories. Though if there's one good thing that came from that game, I believe they retired the Jurassic Park T-Rex roar "Get Loud" clip after that game.

They did not. It appeared several times after that. But yeah, for me it's '06-'07 or '07-'08.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
For me, the most disappointing season was 2002-2003. We went from Stanley Cup finalist to dead last in the league (61 points). We lost a lot of momentum as a franchise.

Missing the playoffs in 2007 after winning the cup in 2006 is also a huge disappointment.

We just seem to always fail on building something special.

02-03 as well, for me. To have momentum going in one direction, and then do that quick of a 180 wasn't fun.

07 was a bummer, but we got to see them win the cup in '06, which was a good enough feeling to make the losing not sting so much.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
02-03 I looked at as an aberration at the time because of how banged up the team was.

It wasn't.

But that season wasn't QUITE as disappointing to me, I knew it was over when Weekes and Brindy were hurt.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
07-08 was worse. Same situation, but with Florida as the last game. Florida, the team we had beat over and over again that year. Plus, we had led the division for almost the entire year, until Washington made a ridiculous run at the end of the year and took it on the last ****in day.

07-08 was definitely the most heart breaking. Going into that game the Hurricanes had not lost a home game to the Florida Panthers since 2002. The Canes had won 14 straight games at the RBC Center vs the Florida Panthers. All we had to do was WIN the game and we would clinch the playoff spot. I remember that game so clearly. The Canes out worked and out hustled the Panthers like crazy that night. Unfortunately some bad luck with some highway robberies of saves by the Florida goals, a few shots off the posts, and an off night from Cam Ward the outcome didn't side our way. The Canes outshot the Panthers 46-17 that night... The Canes had 9 power play opportunities, and didn't even let the Panthers go on the power play that night. You could say that hockey gods were not on our side that night...

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Most of you are saying 2007-2008 and that may be true but the ending of the 2010-2011 season was the worst. If I'm not mistaken, when we lost the season finale in 2007-2008 we still had a shot if a game not involving us the next night went a certain way. 2011, it was as simple as win or go home. I was so amped, especially because I was there... what a major letdown it was. We haven't been that close since.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
10-11 is the worst for me just because I was there. Win and you're in and they didn't even show up. The 2-hour ride home was pretty bad.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2007021213

2007-2008 was EASILY the worst I've ever felt about hockey. Easily. I felt worse about losing to Florida then losing to the Red Wings in game 5 of the 2002 finals, or to the Devils in the 2001 playoffs. We outplayed the Panthers to an absurd degree. Cam Ward was beyond terrible in that matchup and Craig Anderson started to get hot at the end of Florida's meaningless season. He made his career in those few games.

I went home and felt depressed. I woke up the next morning and felt depressed. I felt depressed that night (the day after the game) when Florida played the Caps and sucked ***, and felt cheated that the Caps made the playoffs because of it. I felt depressed the next day too.

The only other games to ever affect me to the degree of the 2008 Florida Panthers toxic ****fest was a certain game 7 on June 19th, 2006, and when we beat the New Jersey Devils in overtime in game 2, 2002 when Joe Vasicek scored the winner and Kevin Weekes had my favorite save of all time. But those feelings were happy.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
10-11 didn't affect me as much because I came into the arena expecting a loss. I came into the final game of the 07-08 season expecting a win. At the time, I felt it was as close to a given as possible. Even when the Canes fell behind, I wasn't worried, because they had come back against that same team (from multiple goals, no less) at least two other times that season.

It wasn't until the shorthanded goal, where Matt Cullen completely ****ed up at the point, that I realized they had a very real chance of losing that game.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
07-08 crushded mah soul and I has never been da same since. Not even larosey's smile can make it right.

Feel free to quote me for your article.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
10-11 for me. I just remember it much more sharply than 06-07.

I was so ****ing invested in 10-11.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
07-08 and it's not even close for me. The team played great down the stretch, it wasn't that far removed from the Cup and I had no doubts they'd win that game. Never felt worse walking out of the arena (even felt worse than I felt after Pisani's OT goal in game 5). I also felt if they made the playoffs, they could do some damage because of how well they played down the stretch, with a number of injuries. I had no confidence they'd win in 10/11..and I felt they wouldn't go far even if they made it.

Disappointment is a mis-match between reality and expectations. Because of my expectations, my disappointment was much worse in 07/08

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
07-08 w/o a blink. Even though we would have faced the Flyers, I do believe that team could have done some damage in the playoffs that year. And I've said it before and will repeat, I still think this franchise has not fully recovered from that night. Was also Glen Wesleys last season and just not a good way to end what was a great and underrated career.

10-11 we were in a playoff spot and out most of the season. But of course laying an egg like that didn't sit well with me.

06-07 was a disappointment too, was so looking forward to that season, only to be aggravated by the outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad