Most "Clutch" NHL Players Since 1980 - #2

Who's the second most clutch NHL player since 1980?

• Jaromir Jagr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alex Ovechkin

• Ray Bourque

• Chris Pronger

• Nicklas Lidstrom

• Steve Yzerman

• Sergei Fedorov

• Denis Potvin

• Bryan Trottier

• Mike Bossy

• Johnathan Toews

• Mats Sundin

• Joe Nieuwendyk

• Glenn Anderson

• Ed Belfour

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The whole concept of clutch is pretty much a myth. Given a large enough sample size, almost everyone achieves a highly similar result in playoff games - or any other big games - as they do in the regular season.

Of this generation:

Crosby leads PPG in regular season, also playoffs. Very good goal scorer in the regular season. Very good in playoffs.
Ovechkin leads in regular season GPG, also playoffs. Is 3rd in PPG in regular season, also third in PPG in the playoffs.
Malkin is second in PPG in regular season PPG, also second in playoff PPG. Very good goal scorer in regular season and playoffs.

So on and so forth.

Gretzky is the greatest regular season performer all time. Also wins this poll. That is not a coincidence. The best player = the player who is most likely to score = the player who is most likely to score at a big moment = the player who appears to be clutch.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think clutch is simply being good in the playoffs, I look at it as how you perform in do-or-die situations.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
my vote is with him right after Patrick Roy

Assuming you're talking about Justin Williams, probably more than half the guys on this list (including Ovechkin) have a better PPG and GPG as Mr. Game 7 in game 7s.

What makes Justin Williams different is expectations are lower, and he's in the minority of players who have a slightly higher PPG and GPG in the playoffs than the regular season. (.65 vs .63 PPG and .26 vs .25 GPG - neither of which are remotely impressive in an all-time sense).

He doesn't belong anywhere near Patrick Roy.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Mario because 76G 172P in 107GP in the playoffs is better than anyone, by far

add: Brodeur, Coffey, Stevens, Niedermayer, Keith, Williams, Franzen

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Assuming you're talking about Justin Williams, probably more than half the guys on this list (including Ovechkin) have a better PPG and GPG as Mr. Game 7 in game 7s.

What makes Justin Williams different is expectations are lower, and he's in the minority of players who have a slightly higher PPG and GPG in the playoffs than the regular season. (.65 vs .63 PPG and .26 vs .25 GPG - neither of which are remotely impressive in an all-time sense).

He doesn't belong anywhere near Patrick Roy.

What?! I agree that hes not next, or even that soon, but Williams has 7G 7A in seven game 7s (2 PPG)

You think half the list has 2PPG in game 7s?? (let alone seven of them)

Reactions: Beau Knows

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
Will add him next time.

Isn't Williams close to 2 PPG in Game 7s?
In a game 7 in his prime Williams just score. thats it.

Lemieux in my book is the goat. (beat me up for this one idc)
Game 7 I take the grinder with 3 rings.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
There wee several years when Colorado was on the brink of elimination and Patrick Roy went into business for himself. He carried the puck up to center ice and was way out of his net. Inevitably the opposing team scored on the empty net and Colorado was eliminated.

Does that qualify as clutch play?

Reactions: Iapyi

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Everyone has their own definition of clutch, which is a problem.
If you ask the question as "its game 7 - who do you take" the answer is Lemieux.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
"Clutch" needs to be defined for this poll. Guy like Lemieux who scores 1000 pts in the reg season and then scores 1000 pts in the playoffs is not clutch imo. He does what he always does. Is Martin Gelinas more clutch then everyone on the list for scoring the series ending goal in 3 straight series in 04? I voted for Roy because I dont remember him being the best goalie in the league every year (especially when Hasek was around) but playoff Roy was a whole different thing. My next vote would be Yzerman/Sakic/Messier

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
"Clutch" needs to be defined for this poll. Guy like Lemieux who scores 1000 pts in the reg season and then scores 1000 pts in the playoffs is not clutch imo. He does what he always does. Is Martin Gelinas more clutch then everyone on the list for scoring the series ending goal in 3 straight series in 04? I voted for Roy because I dont remember him being the best goalie in the league every year (especially when Hasek was around) but playoff Roy was a whole different thing. My next vote would be Yzerman/Sakic/Messier
by your definition shouldnt Justin Williams be more clutch than Yzerman and Mess?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
No Billy Smith? Goaltender 4 cups, 19 playoff series victories all in a row. Shut down the 83 Oilers (4 games to 0, Smith gave up 6 goals in the entire series). And people are talking about Justin Williams? I'm not saying Smith should be the next one chosen but he deserves to be an option more than half of the people on the list-including his 3 mentioned teammates.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Guys like Williams, Claude Lemieux etc could easily be the answer as they are much more valuable in the playoffs than the regular season.

Sakic is the most clutch playoff OT skater ever.

Mario is clearly the better than any other player on the list.

Given how subjective the questions is, everyone can have a different definition of what the most clutch player really means.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Justin Williams #1.

Regular season career:
797 points in 1264 GP - .63 PPG

Game 7s in playoffs as of 2014
14 points in 7 GP - 2.0 PPG
With a record of 7-0 in game 7s

Difference of +1.37 PPG in playoff game 7s over regular season PPG average.

Three Stanley Cups.

Wears #14. Conn Smythe winner in 2014.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
How do we define clutch? Is someone who's 0.5 ppg in the regular season and 1 ppg in the playoffs more clutch than someone who's 1 ppg in both?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Justin Williams #1.

Regular season career:
797 points in 1264 GP - .63 PPG

Game 7s in playoffs as of 2014
14 points in 7 GP - 2.0 PPG
With a record of 7-0 in game 7s

Difference of +1.37 PPG in playoff game 7s over regular season PPG average.

Three Stanley Cups.

Wears #14. Conn Smythe winner in 2014.
Sir, it is the year 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad