Player Discussion: Morrissey's quiet redemption

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course it is "do-able," but do you think Maurice will do it?

And former AHL defenseman of the year continues to sit.

Difference between a talented offensive Dman and a 'responsible' defensive Dman there.

Reactions: Spock

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017

Samberg is an unproven at the pro level, and it probably wouldn't be the best thing for his development.

So yes, I think Maurice would do it.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

It was all fine and dandy being on the Niku bandwagon a few months back, but he's been atrocious and the Jets worst defender since his recall.

Game in game out, Sami continues to display why others should be playing in his place, and considering the lack of depth the Jets have at D, that says a lot.

And the AHL Defensemen of the year accolades can stop since few that have ever won that award have ever went on to a NHL career. The only positive thing that get be said about that award in Sami's case is he won it at 21 whereas the overwhelming majority of recipients of the Eddie Shore award are AHL journeymen. The most recent winner in 2018-2019 was Zach Redmond who has played a grand total of 3 NHL games since 2016.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It was all fine and dandy being on the Niku bandwagon a few months back, but he's been atrocious and the Jets worst defender since his recall.

Game in game out, Sami continues to display why others should be playing in his place, and considering the lack of depth the Jets have at D, that says a lot.

And the AHL Defensemen of the year accolades can stop since few that have ever won that award have ever went on to a NHL career. The only positive thing that get be said about that award in Sami's case is he won it at 21 whereas the overwhelming majority of recipients of the Eddie Shore award are AHL journeymen. The most recent winner in 2018-2019 was Zach Redmond who has played a grand total of 3 NHL games since 2016.
This is just hyperbole and narrow thinking. It's barely worth discussing something when such outlandish statements get made.

I'm still on the bandwagon, his game is improving and continuing to play him is important. The skill set he brings is something none of the other plugs playing in front of him can bring, so develop it. It also suits the make up of the team to keep giving ice time to a puck moving defenseman who can help with transition, which is what this team is built to do. He's not costing us games out there, it's a tired meme.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Niku is a bit of a puzzling character --I'm sort of 50-50 on him. At times he looks brilliant in the offensive zone, he's a good skater, good playmaker, with decent speed and makes fast, smart decisions.

If he could ever develop to be solid defensively, we may have ourselves a great defensman in Niku. If he continues to struggle in the defensive zone, I don't think he'll hang around at the NHL level.

In a nutshell --it's all up to him. I think he should try to put on some muscle, and add some strength and work on his defensive game, and I'm sure he's been told that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This is just hyperbole and narrow thinking. It's barely worth discussing something when such outlandish statements get made.

I'm still on the bandwagon, his game is improving and continuing to play him is important. The skill set he brings is something none of the other plugs playing in front of him can bring, so develop it. It also suits the make up of the team to keep giving ice time to a puck moving defenseman who can help with transition, which is what this team is built to do. He's not costing us games out there, it's a tired meme.

Both of these posts are basically true. That award means little. Sami has been weak defensively and has not asserted himself enough offensively to compensate. But he is getting better. How much ability he has to improve is an unknown. He is at an age where he needs to do it very soon or his time will have passed.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Niku is a bit of a puzzling character --I'm sort of 50-50 on him. At times he looks brilliant in the offensive zone, he's a good skater, good playmaker, with decent speed and makes fast, smart decisions.

If he could ever develop to be solid defensively, we may have ourselves a great defensman in Niku. If he continues to struggle in the defensive zone, I don't think he'll hang around at the NHL level.

In a nutshell --it's all up to him. I think he should try to put on some muscle, and add some strength and work on his defensive game, and I'm sure he's been told that.

I doubt he has been told that. Size is not his issue. He is not small. Bulking up will just hurt his skating and quickness.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

It can take time..

Enstrom didnt really take of until his mid 20s i believe.

Reactions: GNP

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

He sits because his puck protection and defensive game isn’t quite at an NHL level. He can get outmuscled for pucks, but his offensive game is NHL ready. So Mo sits him because he doesn’t trust his game, and likes guys that can compete physically in the bottom pair.

Which brings us to Samberg. He’s 6’4 220 lbs. can skate, defensively aware, battles on pucks, physically imposing, and is an effective puck mover at college and world jrs level. His game translates to playing playoff hockey more so than Niku.

I think if he’s signed before the season ends, demonstrates he can handle the speed of the NHL game in April, and Jets are in a playoff spot, he gets in. He may get in to simply rest a guy nursing something, a Sbisa or Beaulieu. And once he’s in and plays well, or better than the guy he replaces, it will be hard to take him out of the lineup.

That’s why I think they pair him with a guy like Pionk, who has been solid all year. If he signs after the playoffs start, it will be very difficult for him to get in.

Reactions: surixon
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
He sits because his puck protection and defensive game isn’t quite at an NHL level. He can get outmuscled for pucks, but his offensive game is NHL ready. So Mo sits him because he doesn’t trust his game, and likes guys that can compete physically in the bottom pair.

Which brings us to Samberg. He’s 6’4 220 lbs. can skate, defensively aware, battles on pucks, physically imposing, and is an effective puck mover at college and world jrs level. His game translates to playing playoff hockey more so than Niku.

I think if he’s signed before the season ends, demonstrates he can handle the speed of the NHL game in April, and Jets are in a playoff spot, he gets in. He may get in to simply rest a guy nursing something, a Sbisa or Beaulieu. And once he’s in and plays well, or better than the guy he replaces, it will be hard to take him out of the lineup.

That’s why I think they pair him with a guy like Pionk, who has been solid all year. If he signs after the playoffs start, it will be very difficult for him to get in.

Minnesota Duluth is ranked 4th in the nation and predicted to be in the Frozen Four, potentially winning their third consecutive national title. Tourny begins April 9th and with the NHL regular season concluding three days prior it's not likely he plays any regular season games.

Should we make the playoffs it would be quite the gamble to throw him into the line up.

As for Niku, perhaps playing with Buff (which was what I thought was going to occur) would have presented a better opportunity to grow into a meaningful NHL role. Growth is all about reps and Niku isn't going to get that opportunity this season unless paired with a legitimate partner.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
guy has fallen off something fierce

posted this a year ~1.5 years ago

Thought's on his play quarter of the season in sans Trouba?

had huge hopes for Morrissey to certify himself as an elite all-around dman league wide. high iq player who was primed to be the catalyst offensively and defensively from the back-end. a bit of a disappointment based on my expectations so far (lots of season left though) however he's been overall solid based on my eye-test. He's had some big gaffes that have led to goals earlier on in the year (VGK and TBL games come to mind), but i think this has been cleaned up a bit recently. Him and Trouba were eerily similar in RAPM rating for a while too lol.
was a bit more positive in this post since it was a couple weeks into the 19-20 year, but
seems like he just got worse and worse onward

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
guy has fallen off something fierce

posted this a year ~1.5 years ago

was a bit more positive in this post since it was a couple weeks into the 19-20 year, but
seems like he just got worse and worse onward
He was pretty good last night at least!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
IMO all the rotating partners he's had and lower caliber partners has significantly hurt him and his results. I don't think him or Trouba were guys who can take anyone under their wing and make it an effective pairing like Buff did with Chariot. IMO give him one partner to play with & build chemistry, team him up with a capable top 4 guy and Josh will be more then fine. Keep rotating his partners and expecting him to carrying bottom pairing guys and we will be disappointed in his results.......Josh is a solid top 4 guy, but isn't Buff like in his mentorship ability.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Keep him away from other teams top players and off the top pp and he will be fine. He’s just way over his head trying to match skill with top line players. He also panics almost every time he is in a offensive situation. For example last night we had an a icing and the oilers were sucking dirty pond water. We won the face off and he one timed it immediately. He looked over and the camera caught his face and you could tell he knew he panicked. Should of held on to it and kept the tired oilers running around.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
IMO all the rotating partners he's had and lower caliber partners has significantly hurt him and his results. I don't think him or Trouba were guys who can take anyone under their wing and make it an effective pairing like Buff did with Chariot. IMO give him one partner to play with & build chemistry, team him up with a capable top 4 guy and Josh will be more then fine. Keep rotating his partners and expecting him to carrying bottom pairing guys and we will be disappointed in his results.......Josh is a solid top 4 guy, but isn't Buff like in his mentorship ability.
Or even Pionk has Pionk has made forbort look good.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It’s a Morrissey thread but my Niku take is his puck moving skills are overrated. Haven’t seen him be productive moving up the ice yet, he’s ok in the O zone. Seems like he’s working hard to improve and that’s why he was qualified and re-signed, but he’s going to keep dropping down the depth chart if he doesn’t show something in the NHL immediately. There’s 3 guys on the Moose who are better prospects now.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Or even Pionk has Pionk has made forbort look good.

Not sure I would say Forbort looks good, just not the wording I would use. I would say Forbort has been very solid defensively, which was his MO even before he arrived here. But offensive plays die on his stick constantly, that being said I'm happy with his signing.

Reactions: DRW204

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not sure I would say Forbort looks good, just not the wording I would use. I would say Forbort has been very solid defensively, which was his MO even before he arrived here. But offensive plays die on his stick constantly, that being said I'm happy with his signing.

Pionk and Forbort do mesh well stylistically. I think they counter each other and that works out well... but you'd definitely want a better player overall than Forbort if Pionk is going to be top 5v5 mins against tough match ups.

I think optimally you'd want a player like Forbort being the steady partner for a rookie being brought innto the third pair, or being the ying to the yang of a 3rd pairing player who is similar to Pionk stylistically.

Reactions: voyageur and ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Forbort has played really well imo, and that's exclusive of who his partner is. he's made some nice individual plays on the defensive side, and has spurts of good puck moving abilities. he's not fast though, which shows up when watching, and gets him into trouble, but overall he's been great given the cap hit. he's like our 2nd goalie out there too :laugh:

i was anticipating eventually samberg takes over for him this year, but can't be mad at his play so far

oh this is a JoMo thread :naughty:

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Pionk and Forbort do mesh well stylistically. I think they counter each other and that works out well... but you'd definitely want a better player overall than Forbort if Pionk is going to be top 5v5 mins against tough match ups.

I think optimally you'd want a player like Forbort being the steady partner for a rookie being brought innto the third pair, or being the ying to the yang of a 3rd pairing player who is similar to Pionk stylistically.

Completely agree

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think Forbort had pretty good success playing with Doughty, and the most Doughty like player we have is Pionk, maybe not as edgy defensively, but skating wise. Forbort's been beaten off the edge a few times though, and that's always a concern. But I like the communication between the two, that's helped Pionk grow his game this year.

Since this is a Morrissey thread, what can we say about him? Don't think he is playing as bad as his stats. Don't think he's playing as good as he could. Not looking confident on PP1, not looking confident on PK2. It's a big responsibility being the leader of a defense, with a letter on your sweater, taking over from a larger than life guy like Byfuglien. There's some growing pains, and he hasn't had a steady chemistry with anyone on defense since Trouba left. I think you are right to say that he is more of a top 4 d-man than a top -2. I also think confidence is such a huge part of hockey, and once he starts playing with it, the results will come.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Despite tonight's game, Morrissey is still a solid dman. He's being overused and would be best as a #3. Unfortunately Chevy hasn't been able to aquire a number 1 dman that can be consistent with 25+ minutes a night. They aren't easy to come by, so fingers crossed he can bring in atleast at top 4 at the deadline.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad