News Article: Morgan: The Trouble with Tanking, Part II

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
...and I respect you for admitting that..

So if we finish last, is it due to our incompetent management? Or our fiendishly clever management?

The lady or the tiger?
No one should ever be credited for finishing last at anything (accept for 1st/2nd grade developmental basketball cuz the coach currently typing is probably going to finish last at that, but what does he know about basketball anyway?) regardless of the reward. I will not look at missing the playoffs 4 years in a row (2 past, 1 current and likely at least 1 to come) and think "that Maloney, he sure did a good job getting McDavid/Eichel."

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
No one should ever be credited for finishing last at anything (accept for 1st/2nd grade developmental basketball cuz the coach currently typing is probably going to finish last at that, but what does he know about basketball anyway?) regardless of the reward. I will not look at missing the playoffs 4 years in a row (2 past, 1 current and likely at least 1 to come) and think "that Maloney, he sure did a good job getting McDavid/Eichel."

So you have experience developing youth then. Are you already signed to coach again next year, or still considering other offers?

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
1. Would you like to trade Vermette and Michalek for less established, younger pieces some time before the deadline?

2. Would you like to trade Yandle and Hanzal for younger, less established pieces some time before the deadline? At the draft?

3. Heading into next season, would you like to continue focusing primarily on youth, trading older pieces, and signing fewer veteran players, all in an effort to secure a top five pick in next year's draft also?

Checking in a little late with my survey response:

1) Who wouldn't?

2) This one is trickier. Had I been asked this last year when the team was more competitive and I was concerned about playoffs; I would have been ready to trade Hanzal. His missed games every year, and the team's difficulty winning with him out, drives me nuts. However, over the last few seasons he has been everything to this team. The biggest most physical centre, the centre of the line expected to most drive the offence, and the centre of the line expected to be most responsible defensively; while playing on both special teams. That is a hell of a lot to replace, and no wonder his body is breaking down. Part of me says trade him and start breaking up that ridiculous role into smaller roles and move forward. The other part says rebuild around him and get some centres to take some things off his plate and see how he and his health responds. That said, I wouldn't be sad if a doctor told him he would benefit greatly from going on IR and taking the rest of the season to rest and heal.
As for Yandle, I think he is needed; the guy never misses games and seems like he'll go on for years. He would be great to have with better players around him. If I was Maloney, I would have already spoken to his camp about contract numbers for his next deal and filled them in on the future plans and direction of the team. If he is on board, and the numbers seem workable; he stays. If not, trade him at the deadline also, with no hard feelings on either side.

3)In past offseasons I felt like Maloney had to sometimes make signings simply to get warm bodies and fill out a roster card; the Gretzky/Bankruptcy/Wheeler/Mueller fiascos had made the roster that thin. Now the team is in a position that that is not necessary. This offeseason the ufa pickings are pretty slim. What I want Maloney to do going forward is identify specific needs on the team, look to see if they can be met internally and if not, then look outside of the organization to fill them.
For instance, someone needs to replace Michalek; it looks like there is no one on the depth chart to do that, so in the summer get a RHD. By contrast, no LW's that play above the 4th line need apply, we're set there.
If Smith rebounds, our young players continue to progress in their roles and Maloney can solve the centre problems, great. If that results in a playoff spot or in another bottom 5 finish I don't care. The important part is Maloney committing to a plan and seeing it through.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

Next year is going to be special for this franchise, when Matthews will assuredly be the top or near the top pick. I don't think we can give that chance up for an outside shot at the playoffs (and an early exit if we make it).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00