Value of: Morgan Rielly

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With the Leafs being in a cap crunch for a couple of seasons and Rielly needing a new deal after next season, was wondering what Rielly would be able to fetch.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With the Leafs being in a cap crunch for a couple of seasons and Rielly needing a new deal after next season, was wondering what Rielly would be able to fetch.

So what are you after though?
A younger cheaper LD with top 4 potential + picks/prospects?
That would likely force Muzzin to top pairing, is that feasible?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So what are you after though?
A younger cheaper LD with top 4 potential + picks/prospects?
That would likely force Muzzin to top pairing, is that feasible?

I'd be looking to get some cheaper depth. I don't know if Muzzin is feasible, but Rielly certainly isn't. He will flourish on a team where he can free wheel, and Toronto already has 5-6 guys that fit that description.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'd be looking to get some cheaper depth. I don't know if Muzzin is feasible, but Rielly certainly isn't. He will flourish on a team where he can free wheel, and Toronto already has 5-6 guys that fit that description.

The whole Leafs system is based around puck possession and pushing offense. He is able to free wheel and often jumps up in the play. I’d rather they didn’t trade him “for depth” as he’s the closest thing we have to a top pairing defenseman. For a team in a competitive window I don’t see them trading their best defenseman.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Rielly is the heart and soul of the room, this management group will not trade him.

Unless you can get a nearly equivalent RHD who can play top pair, in a similar age range, there is no proposal that makes sense. A team that is RD heavy but weak on the left might consider that, but how many teams are in that situation? Very few.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Just think the timing of this deal right now doesn't make sense.
TOR needs to make the 2nd round or better and taking away from that defense seems counterproductive.
Off season seems more likely, especially if they dont get to 2nd round

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Just think the timing of this deal right now doesn't make sense.
TOR needs to make the 2nd round or better and taking away from that defense seems counterproductive.
Off season seems more likely, especially if they dont get to 2nd round

Rielly has been our 4th best defender. I've lost faith in his ability to defend. I am not sure he makes our defence considerably better than it would be with the younger guys moving up. We'd lose his offence (1pt in 6 games so far) but we would gain defensively.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Rielly is the heart and soul of the room, this management group will not trade him.

Unless you can get a nearly equivalent RHD who can play top pair, in a similar age range, there is no proposal that makes sense. A team that is RD heavy but weak on the left might consider that, but how many teams are in that situation? Very few.
Tyler Myers

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Rielly has been our 4th best defender. I've lost faith in his ability to defend. I am not sure he makes our defence considerably better than it would be with the younger guys moving up. We'd lose his offence (1pt in 6 games so far) but we would gain defensively.

I hear ya.
Try Holl on top pair with Rielly before you move him though. Been really impressed with Holl
Split up Rielly and Brodie?

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Brodie

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I hear ya.
Try Holl on top pair with Rielly before you move him though. Been really impressed with Holl
Split up Rielly and Brodie?

Rielly - Holl
Muzzin - Brodie

I would rather isolate him lower in the lineup and try to give him his minutes vs weaker opponents and on the PP. Holl has been very good, putting him out there with Rielly would drag him down.

Mar 26, 2010
99% that Toronto is not trading him. He has struggled this season though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would rather isolate him lower in the lineup and try to give him his minutes vs weaker opponents and on the PP. Holl has been very good, putting him out there with Rielly would drag him down.

Fair enough, only thing is it may lower his trade value by dropping him down instead of letting him work it out, he could definitely drop 2 mins of TOI right now, see if he just needs time to work back up to 25mins a game. Less is more?
Will be an interesting storyline going forward.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
why not?

Muzzin Holl
Dermott Brodie
Travis Dermott to replace Rielly? I like Dermott a lot, but that’s a laugh and a half. We finally get a defense that’s playing well and now (some) people want to trade Rielly? How about we keep him and keep defense as a strength? He’s elite offensively and costs $5m right now. He’s also one of our team’s strongest leaders, there’s a reason people call him “Captain Morgan”.

This whole premise is ridiculous.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Travis Dermott to replace Rielly? I like Dermott a lot, but that’s a laugh and a half. We finally get a defense that’s playing well and now (some) people want to trade Rielly? How about we keep him and keep defense as a strength? He’s elite offensively and costs $5m right now. He’s also one of our team’s strongest leaders, there’s a reason people call him “Captain Morgan”.

This whole premise is ridiculous.

I never said he is a good as...

You have to factor in growth of Liligren and Sandin. Trade Morgan now, get cap space and continue to grow from within.

His game is flawed.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Doubt he gets traded. They'll skim somewhere else.

Unfortunately the forwards bent Dubas over and these problems arise.

Still, they'll find a way.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The flashy points never made him a legit top pairing dman
You're right, of course. It was never just the flashy points, it was the average to slightly below average defensive results while facing elite competition combined with the flashy points that made him a legit top pairing defenseman. Rielly isn't great defensively, but he's okay enough that the massive offense that he generates far outweighs any of the negatives. Rielly tilts the ice in the Leafs favour and has been doing it at #1 levels for almost four years.

That's what the Leafs need, less top 4 Dmen with reasonable contracts.

He's our #1D on a reasonable contract.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
The flashy points never made him a legit top pairing dman
He was actually really solidly defensively for awhile. I’d debate there was a period where he was certainly top pairing if not number one. He’s not looking quite so hot this season or last season after his injury. That said I’d rather keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad