Morgan Rielly vs. Shea Theodore

Who is better?

• Total voters

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
For the reported price and Tanev's injury history, it's understandable why Dubas decided to go with Muzzin. Muzzin has been a great 3D since he got here so no complaints there.
But not a partner for Rielly like Tanev proved to be for Hughes. Maybe Rielly should be able to carry his own pair though, regardless if his partner? Theodore seems to do that.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
But not a partner for Rielly like Tanev proved to be for Hughes. Maybe Rielly should be able to carry his own pair though, regardless if his partner? Theodore seems to do that.
I mean Rielly just carried 38 year old Hainsey for a full season to a top-5 Norris finish and 70+ points like I said.
Rielly's D-partners over the years on the top pairing:

Hainsey (borderline 4-5 D-man) Rielly as mentioned finished top 5 in Norris voting, 70+ points at age 23
Ceci (LOL)
Zaitsev (I don't know how he's doing with the Sens but he was a top 4 D-man his 1st season with Leafs and then quickly became a 5-6 D in the following years)
Marincin (LMAO)

I highly doubt you're willing to say 38 year old Ron Hainsey or any of the guys listed are better than Tanev or even close to peak Tanev. And Rielly finally got his partner with Brodie

Overpaying for a guy who's last healthy season prior to last season came in 2014-15. Tanev has never played a full season and only played 70+ games just once in his 10 year career. He's only played 60+ games in 4 out his 10 seasons.

Paying a premium for a guy who can't play 60+ games for the majority of his career is not ideal.

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Rielly's been better every year except for last year. Theodore was a top 10 dman last year and was better than Rielly. I think Theodore is just starting to break out. He was dominant in the playoffs. Voted him going forward. Its close though.

Pretty spot on. Rielly was bad last year, however it seems his injury issues have passed. If he can return to form I take Rielly, if not then Theodore.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Should be a telling year. Theodore needs to not be sheltered and see what he can do.

Morgan needs to do less of everything cause it's not working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad