Morgan Rielly vs. Shea Theodore

Who is better?

• Total voters

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Rielly's been better every year except for last year. Theodore was a top 10 dman last year and was better than Rielly. I think Theodore is just starting to break out. He was dominant in the playoffs. Voted him going forward. Its close though.

Reactions: Dutronc

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rielly's been better every year except for last year. Theodore was a top 10 dman last year and was better than Rielly. I think Theodore is just starting to break out.
Last year with the exception of the Leafs qualifying series against Columbus, Rielly was playing hurt and was never 100% before suffering another injury that caused him to miss 23 games. When he returned to the lineup after that injury he got to play only 1 more regular season game on March 10, 2020 which was Toronto's last regular season game before everything got suspended.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Tough to say. Mostly rielly but close last year. Theodore younger so also gives him a bump going forward.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Right now it is Theo based on Reilly's down year last year. Career wise, pretty easily Reilly.

It wasn’t as much of a down year, as it was a regression. Every advanced stat pointed to Rielly’s 20 goal season as unsustainable and it proved to be correct.

This is Theodore, and moving forward it’s not very close at all.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Reilly. Theodore has his team to thank for their insane puck possession abilities.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Last year with the exception of the Leafs qualifying series against Columbus, Rielly was playing hurt and was never 100% before suffering another injury that caused him to miss 23 games. When he returned to the lineup after that injury he got to play only 1 more regular season game on March 10, 2020 which was Toronto's last regular season game before everything got suspended.
[MOD] What in there has anything to do with Rielly being better right now? Let me guess, you’re now going to talk about 2 years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It wasn’t as much of a down year, as it was a regression. Every advanced stat pointed to Rielly’s 20 goal season as unsustainable and it proved to be correct.

The goal numbers were unsustainable, but Rielly's underlying effect on the team's offense is huge even outside of that year. His effect on xGF and CF is similar to Theodore, the problem is he's also a drag on the defensive side of things, whereas Theodore is generally a positive, albeit in pretty soft minutes.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I agree that there would have been some regression in Rielly's game last season compared to the 20 goals and 72 points he had in the 2018-19 Season.

However I'm sure when he was playing hurt and not at 100% did not help and part of the reason for his production.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Post advanced stats plz

upload_2021-1-10_0-56-57.png

upload_2021-1-10_0-57-30.png

Theodore is probably a littele overrated according to these stats but he is still better. Both of them are cream of the crop offensively but Theodore doesn't give up anywhere near as much defensively.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
I really like Theodore but it’s Mo for me. I think playing injured all season has a lot of people down on him and he’s going to come back to his 18-19 form quite nicely. I wouldn’t expect 20 goals again but I didn’t expect 20 goals that year either so who’s to say.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

You couldn't be more wrong lol. He played injured all year and has had absolute garbage D partners his entire career. He'll be playing with Brodie this year and Rielly looks fully healthy. He will finish as a top 10 D man.

Advanced stats, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5