Morgan Rielly or Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
Jones is my answer.

Rielly is a splendid player as well, but Jones has that "30 mins a game in all situations if needed" type of fibe in him.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Jones but it's not some massive difference like everyone in here is saying. Rielly is very good and has never had a good defense partner in his career thus far.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Definitely Jones, but Rielly is one hell of an excellent "consolation prize". If he ever gets a partner worthy of his skill, watch out.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Why do you say Jones is better than Rielly? Most people say "Oh because Jones is bigger than Rielly"

Did you not see Rielly shut down the Boston Bruins last game? Meanwhile, quarterbacking the Leafs to 4 goals? And he lead all skaters on the ice for TOI.

IMO Rielly is better than Jones, he is faster, his offensive IQ (Part of the reason why he had 20 goals this season) is higher than Jones, he sees plays before anyone else.

And, he makes the perfect play whenever the puck gets dumped in and the other team is on the forecheck.

When you look at Mo. Rielly, you think of Playoff Duncan Keith --- (I think Rielly is a better defender than Keith IMO, but, Keith is probably better offensively a little). Morgan Rielly commands the ice, just look at the Bruins game for example, he sets the tone for the leafs BOTH Defensively & Offensively!

I know posters on HF-Boards just look at statistics and have blatant homerism --- but, the fact that you think Jones blows Rielly out the water is Laughable! Rielly is a true game changing defensemen. I rest my case.

Also, it's hillarious that you "hockey gurus" think that Jones is FAR SUPERIOR than Rielly when infaact

Rielly - Hainsey vs Jones - Werenski

Werenski is far superior to Hainsey, ---- Rielly is a much better 2-Way D than Jones, IMO.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Seth Jones, not particularly close...

Morgan might be a little better offensively but Seth is just so much better all around, IMO.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Seth Jones, not particularly close...

Why do you think he's better?

Rielly defends the rush much better than Jones AND is far superior offensively due to his IQ.

You also gotta look at the fact that
Jones has a higher TOI because his partner is Zack Werenski

Rielly's partner is Ron Hainsey.

Zack werenski carries the load offensively while Jones carries the load defensively.
Rielly carries the load BOTH offensively & defensively.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019

Rielly defends the rush much better than Jones AND is far superior offensively due to his IQ. Also, Rielly's 20 goals were not by luck, they were due to his high IQ.
And please --- I bet you don't even watch the Leafs, I watch both columbus and toronto.

I'm a Leafs fan buddy...

Morgan Rielly does not defend better than Seth Jones, whether it's off the rush, off the cycle, in the neutral zone, 1 on 1 down low....Jones is better in every facet of defending. He's better at retrieving the puck and transitioning the play.

He's just better at most things in the game than Rielly. It's not a knock on MR, they're both great but SJ is just better.

Reactions: majormajor

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Why do you say Jones is better than Rielly? Most people say "Oh because Jones is bigger than Rielly"

Did you not see Rielly shut down the Boston Bruins last game? Meanwhile, quarterbacking the Leafs to 4 goals? And he lead all skaters on the ice for TOI.

IMO Rielly is better than Jones, he is faster, his offensive IQ (Part of the reason why he had 20 goals this season) is higher than Jones, he sees plays before anyone else.

And, he makes the perfect play whenever the puck gets dumped in and the other team is on the forecheck.

When you look at Mo. Rielly, you think of Playoff Duncan Keith --- (I think Rielly is a better defender than Keith IMO, but, Keith is probably better offensively a little). Morgan Rielly commands the ice, just look at the Bruins game for example, he sets the tone for the leafs BOTH Defensively & Offensively!

I know posters on HF-Boards just look at statistics and have blatant homerism --- but, the fact that you think Jones blows Rielly out the water is Laughable! Rielly is a true game changing defensemen. I rest my case.

Also, it's hillarious that you "hockey gurus" think that Jones is FAR SUPERIOR than Rielly when infaact

Werenski is far superior to Hainsey, ---- Rielly is a much better 2-Way D than Jones, IMO.

You’re back to the size argument again.

Seems more like an argument you are making, than one other people are making. Size isn’t why Jones is viewed as better defensively. He’s viewed as better defensively because he’s better.

Also, after reading your posts in this thread, you’re in no position to accuse others of homerism, or not watching other players. Like, at all. Your entitle post screams “Rielly is better because I say he is, and everyone else is wrong.”

Reactions: Viqsi and Snowman

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Also, I think Rielly is a very smart player, but using goals as an example when he’s shooting at 9% is probably not your best argument of that intelligence, especially when he started off the season at an even more insane shooting percentage. That percentage is a drop, after starting the season at something like a 36-goal pace in his first 20 games. Those weren’t sustainable numbers.

Great player, mind you, but not a good argument for you.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Rielly defends the rush much better than Jones AND is far superior offensively due to his IQ.

You also gotta look at the fact that
Jones has a higher TOI because his partner is Zack Werenski

Rielly's partner is Ron Hainsey.

Zack werenski carries the load offensively while Jones carries the load defensively.
Rielly carries the load BOTH offensively & defensively.

Just stop. You clearly haven't watched enough Jones to have an informed opinion.

Your words here -- "Most people say "Oh because Jones is bigger than Rielly"", I've seen these players compared for years and I've never heard someone say Jones is better because he is bigger. Not most people, not anyone. He's better because he's better at every aspect of defending.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Mo is great and should get a some Norris recognition but Seth Jones is one of my favourite D Men in the league. Still so underrated for how good he is. Hes arguably a top 5 DMan in the game.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
most people say that Zdeno Chara is better defensively than Cody Ceci because he's bigger but did you guys know that Ceci is faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia