Morgan Rielly or Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Who would you take going forward?
They're both pretty much the same age.

Many people do think that Seth is a better defender than Rielly because he is "bigger" than him. But, in that case, Rielly is faster and can better defend scoring chances off the rush, where as, Jones has an advantage at the boards.

Offensively, I do think Rielly has the edge here, he is a better playmaker than Jones, and, has a high IQ on offense.

Which player would you have on your team moving forward, and, why?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Be better if there was a poll attached. Jones is one of my favorite players in the league who can dominate a game in pretty much all assets of the game. I choose jones.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I'm a huge Leafs fan and even I would take Jones. I love me some Mo Rielly but it's Seth 6 times out of 10.

hmm. make that 7 times

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Many people do think that Seth is a better defender than Rielly because he is "bigger" than him. But, in that case, Rielly is faster and can better defend scoring chances off the rush, where as, Jones has an advantage at the boards.

Offensively, I do think Rielly has the edge here, he is a better playmaker than Jones, and, has a high IQ on offense.

It has nothing to do with Seth Jones' size. People think Seth is a better defender because he does everything right back there. He covers a lot of ice with his quickness and wingspan, and has textbook angles and gaps. His reads are as good as it gets. Jones isn't that heavy, and I wouldn't say his boards play is his strongest aspect.

Also,

--Seth is one of the fastest players, right up there with Rielly. McDavid said at the NA Young Stars camp that Jones was maybe the fastest player on the team (McDavid was the fastest, but you get the idea).

--Rielly has improved a lot in the last couple years but his angles and gaps are not a selling point yet. He doesn't defend the rush better than Jones. Rielly's compact build is a plus in some respects, Jones can get off balance, and his lankiness doesn't help in shot blocking.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Who would you take going forward?
They're both pretty much the same age.

I don’t think your analysis of why people think Jones is a better defender is even close to accurate, nor do I think Rielly is better at defending scoring chances off the rush.

I think people feel Jones is the better defender because, well, he’s the better defender. Size may contribute to him being better defensively, but it isn’t why people think he’s better defensively. His on-ice play does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad