Injury Report: Morgan Rielly on LTIR (update: expected return Dec 29)

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Funnily enough in terms of defensive impact losing Muzzin and then Brodie were much bigger losses, and the leafs D managed to handle those by committee fairly fine this season. The teams.steuggles this season have mostly been offensive underperforming+goalie injuries.

Now that Samsonov and Murray are returning to play things may not be as dark as things expected. The team is just going to keep playing tight defensive hockey to offset the losses to the top 4

Everyone needs to step it up now, no pucking around! Our injury prone Murray is going to be facing more rubber... here is to hoping that everyone steps up their 200ft game! I feel that Dumbass will sign a defenseman in the very near future, how can't he? But ... I guess we will see what tomorrow brings, when they face a red hot Devils team.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hot Take:
Gio-Sandin depth chart is better defensively than Rielly-Muzzin

Obviously we are screwed when it comes to Riellys transition game

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Undoubtedly Knies and Minten get high interest from other organizations.
Hope he doesn't touch Knies he has potential to be a power forward with skill which is hard to find, hope he stops robbing the cupboard of whats left, trade Engvall and Kerfoot for a decent D man, heck I would even trade small potatoes to get Schenn back he is a hitting beast and has played real decent for the struggling Canucks and it shouldn't cost much at all

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Hope he doesn't touch Knies he has potential to be a power forward with skill which is hard to find, hope he stops robbing the cupboard of whats left, trade Engvall and Kerfoot for a decent D man, heck I would even trade small potatoes to get Schenn back he is a hitting beast and has played real decent for the struggling Canucks and it shouldn't cost much at all
If Engvall and Kerfoot are as terrible as this board make them out to be, there is zero chance you are trading them for help on the blueline.

Reactions: egd27 and Racer88

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Its my take right. I don’t like the player. I think he is absolute crap especially for his cap hit. Time will tell whether I am right or wrong. I can see the PP getting way better without Rielly. Rielly’s defensive game is abysmal so its not like we are losing a lot there. Lets see what happens when others are given an opportunity rather than constantly giving it to someone who routinely shows up year after year without improving any of his skillset. (same muffin shot, same bone head decision making and positioning in his own zone, not physical) Gonna be an interesting next month and a half.
Reilly is over rated on these boards. Dumb as nails, muffin shot, can't defend & newly signed to a long term deal. Should have been traded....He's a #3/4 on a top notch team.....imho....going to be very interesting as you say!

This take is why Italy is not in the world cup, again. That's the bad it is.
No team would be better without a player like Rielly.
We'll see....Italy has won many,many cups.....

• Haha
Reactions: mclaren55

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
This is simply not true. Fans are not preventing the Leafs from winning in any capacity.
Stop buying tickets, stop worshipping players, stop buying sweaters and you will put pressure on the owners to put pressure on management.
Remember what an a?? Harold Ballard was as was Stafford Smythe.
Of course fans have an impact. Nobody on this management team has the guts to trade one of the untouchables to finish building a winner.

Reactions: Al14

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I liked the Benn and Mete signings in the offseason, knowing that having quasi-NHL depth in the AHL is important. But I didn't expect that Benn would be as good or as necessary as he suddenly is.

Please just trade for Chychrun now. He'll fit perfectly with this team. If Knies has to go, so be it.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Hate to see this. I hope to see Liljegren make a jump here. He’s got a lot to offer and we’re just scratching the surface me thinks.
Lily is clearly ahead of Sandin and it's not close. Kind of makes Sandin's little holdout even more ridiculous.
Not only did he get exactly the contract Lily got, he messed up the start of his season by missing camp.

That agent should be getting the pink slip.

1547420604471.gif

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I liked the Benn and Mete signings in the offseason, knowing that having quasi-NHL depth in the AHL is important. But I didn't expect that Benn would be as good or as necessary as he suddenly is.

Please just trade for Chychrun now. He'll fit perfectly with this team. If Knies has to go, so be it.
Here's the crazy thought, how about at some point trying to draft and develop a Benn type? You'd then have them while they're in their prime and not in their twilight after they've been tossed in the NHL trash bin.

That Dubas thinks he can outsmart the league by drafting nothing but tiny dmen and forwards...good luck in the playoffs bud. Where exactly do Abramov, SDA types fit in this lineup????

Reactions: geo25 and ToneDog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Stop buying tickets, stop worshipping players, stop buying sweaters and you will put pressure on the owners to put pressure on management.
Of course fans have an impact. Nobody on this management team has the guts to trade one of the untouchables to finish building a winner.
That can never work here. The fanbase is too large and new fans are born everyday that havn't suffered the heartache. 100 year old franchises don't suddenly have revolutions against them. It's why the Cubs and Red Sox sold out every game despitr not winning in 100 years.

In smaller markets I agree the fans could do that but impossible here

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Nah. Sorry, I love hockey, and I love the Leafs. I highly doubt the Leafs are willingly leaving millions in pure profit on the table, they just have been a bunch of f*** ups.

In general, I like your take, but I don't think it will happen.

Here's the crazy thought, how about at some point trying to draft and develop a Benn type? You'd then have them while they're in their prime and not in their twilight after they've been tossed in the NHL trash bin.

That Dubas thinks he can outsmart the league by drafting nothing but tiny dmen and forwards...good luck in the playoffs bud. Where exactly do Abramov, SDA types fit in this lineup????

Lou and Hunter drafted a lot of Benn types. Unforuntately, we ended up with 3 or 4 seasons with almost 0 picks turning into NHL players.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nah. Sorry, I love hockey, and I love the Leafs. I highly doubt the Leafs are willingly leaving millions in pure profit on the table, they just have been a bunch of f*** ups.

In general, I like your take, but I don't think it will happen.

Lou and Hunter drafted a lot of Benn types. Unforuntately, we ended up with 3 or 4 seasons with almost 0 picks turning into NHL players.

So the answer was to stop drafting them completely ?? Yes, he drafted Knies finally.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You're confusing 'incompetence' with 'Indifference'.
What is it you think this 'pressure' will do? They'll flip a switch and try and win?

To think they don't want to win because they already sell tickets is pretty dumb, IMO.

Reactions: egd27

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Its my take right. I don’t like the player. I think he is absolute crap especially for his cap hit. Time will tell whether I am right or wrong. I can see the PP getting way better without Rielly. Rielly’s defensive game is abysmal so its not like we are losing a lot there. Lets see what happens when others are given an opportunity rather than constantly giving it to someone who routinely shows up year after year without improving any of his skillset. (same muffin shot, same bone head decision making and positioning in his own zone, not physical) Gonna be an interesting next month and a half.

U are right, he is over rated on these boards. Im also interested to see the PP without Reilly, Reilly telegraphs every pass and is scared to shoot. He doesnt seem to understand the concept of shooting just to mix up the sequence on the PP. Reilly is a soft dman and not interested in winning puck battles, rarely throws a hit. This is not a playoff type of dman. The d zone is secondary to him, he over pinches and doesnt seem to sense when its safe and not safe to go.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

For Chychrun? Hell no. That guys become next-level overrated around here.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

I don’t want Dubas making any significant trades. I don’t trust him, especially if he appears to be desperate. Let’s ride out these injuries and see who can step up, it might do wonders

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The way this team is assembled, Morgan Rielly in one of the few players lost to injury that Leafs can't afford to have nor able to absorb without it impacting the bottom line. IMO

MO Riells generates offense off the rush for the forwards and while no the best defensively still manages to get the job done.

Getting the puck out of Leafs zone and moving up the ice I believe will be noticeably weaker.

Reactions: CDN24

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Chychrun is very overrated. He isn't what we need and the asking price is crazy

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mete is truly awful, even in the AHL. I would like to see Hofenmeyer get a look, he has been the Marlies best defensemen at the games I have been at.

Hoefenmayer has been pretty good offensively for sure for the Marlies. I've liked some of Rifai's game as well. Mete wasn't terrible for us, in the three games he played for the Leafs though.

Entitled....55 years since I saw a team win. I am entitled to expect a management team committed to winning, not being nice, not trying, but actually succeeding.
If you don’t expect or demand they win, then you are the type stopping us from winning. Potential is not enough for me but must be for you.

See, another post where you've completely missed the point, and then spun it to throw your agenda out there.. The post I'd quoted, was talking about your personal need to be informed, that the team had made complaints to the league about the knee on Matthews. That you feel you are owed to be informed about such actions is entitled.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sandin wanted opportunity. Here it is. If we start a real losing streak, then something has to be done. Rielly is so undervalued. Give Lijegren and Sandin the ice time. I wouldn’t mind a trade for another Big stay at home D instead of a offensive one. Or a hybrid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad