Morgan Rielly breaks Bobby Orr's modern points record for the first 5 games in a season

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Rocket Richard was the first 50-goal scorer, and he did it in far fewer than 82 games. Matthews is really good, but he's not quite legendary.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
No doubt about it my man. Fella loves the city of Toronto and hockey and wants to win here. He'll be adding some cap flexibility for our other stars and gets his future paycheck with a handshake agreement. You know, the way true leaders like Thornton operate?

In the cap era, if Toronto's star players get too greedy they'll be held responsible for the loss of talented teammates. It seems to be happening as we speak.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
That's cool for Rielly and all the Leafs players having a crazy start. But this happens basically every year. Ovechkin scored 7 goals in his first 2 games last season. People thought he would break new records. He ended up scoring 49 games, which is awesome, but yeah, he couldn't keep up the 3.5 goals per game pace :laugh:

Pietrangelo led the NHL in points last season too, after 4-5 games.

It happens every year, every player have hot streaks during a season, but when it happens at the start of the season, people notice it more.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Reilly to his credit isn’t getting caught up in it it seems. Haven’t heard boo from him about anything silly. Head down, just playing. I’d imagine a list of dmen with 12 points in 5 games at any particular point in a season is relatively long one, the fact that it happens to be from game one doesn’t seem all that important other then it’s an interesting statistical anomaly.

No complaints here though, great start is a great start.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
do people think some leaf fan went and looked up this stat?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
In the cap era, if Toronto's star players get too greedy they'll be held responsible for the loss of talented teammates. It seems to be happening as we speak.
That's only because the Toronto media is hyping the "Leafs will lose all their Players" and leaving teams in worse cap situations (Jets, Lightning) alone.

Toronto media is biased over the Leafs they say?

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Th
Best dman PPG over this year and last:

1.Carlson .86 (3:46pptoi)
2.Karlsson .86 (3:24pptoi)
3.Gostisbehere .83 (3:42pptoi)
4.Klingberg .82 (3:37pptoi)
5.Barrie .82 (3:47pptoi)
6.Burns .80 (3:42pptoi)
7.Hedman .80 (3:26pptoi)
8.Rielly .79 (2:12pptoi)
9.Krug .78 (3:26pptoi)
10.Jones .73 (2:42ppptoi)

The next person that says Rielly isn't a number 1 Defensmen needs to be kicked of the island.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Should be noted that it isn't Bobby Orr's record to break. He passed Bobby for second all time. He beat the Modern Era record, but let no one forget the unbeatable Harry Cameron with 9G 6A in 5 games.

Reactions: Dustin

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The next person that says Rielly isn't a number 1 Defensmen needs to be kicked of the island.
Offensively he is but overall he isn't strong enough to be considered a true #1. I still view him as a #2.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I wouldn’t be surprised if a Leaf breaks the 10 points in a game record this year

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I feel pity for the guy. How do you deal with being compared to Bobby Orr?

I think he will hit 60 points this season (only has to score 48 in the last 77), and maybe have a shot at 70... which every Leafs fan should be thrilled about. Maybe he even gets some Norris consideration for his great offensive skills. After scoring 52 points in 76 games last season he definitely looks like he has continued to take the next step and looks like a true #1D. Hopefully he proves this is the case, because most Cup contenders have an elite horse on the blue-line (even if their defense as a whole is spotty), and Morgan Rielly evolving into that player for Toronto would really help their chances for a deep playoff run.

And to think at one time I worried the LEafs had destroyed his development, dumping him into a top-4 role as a teenager. Now as a 24 year old he is becoming the player the Leafs desperately hoped he would be when they drafted him.

Also, he is signed for $5million until 2022. So nice :)

Reactions: Dustin

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Offensively he is but overall he isn't strong enough to be considered a true #1. I still view him as a #2.
Then Carlson is not a #1. Neither are quite a few listed as #1 DMen on here.
Rielly is without a doubt a top 20 at the very least overall DMan.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Jealous of how the Leafs have started.

As much as I would hate it, it would be nice to see them excel this season. As long as I avoid all sports news and journalism.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Great achievement. He went 5th overall. Lol at the idiots who drafted the Defensman before him at #4 overall.

Lol....

I remember Burke saying that he would have taken Reilly first overall if he had the chance. However, don’t worry your joke didn’t go over this head.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Before I make any more rediculous comment about Reilly to my coworkers. I would love to see him, (again) get 50 points this year then I can be comfortable calling him a 1D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad