Morgan: Barroway in discussions with investors [Mod Warning Post #50]

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's astounding the number of people (not in forum 40) who wonder why Barroway is interested in partners when he bought out the previous partners.

Newsflash: maybe the old partners sucked.

It's like living with roommates. Then you kick out your roommates. Then you live by yourself a bit but are open to new roommates in the future. Just because the old roommate sucked doesn't mean the new ones will.

The George Gillett name is intriguing, even if he's out. That's a serious high roller. Hopefully the other potential partners are of the same ilk.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's astounding the number of people (not in forum 40) who wonder why Barroway is interesting in partners when he bought out the previous partners.

Newsflash: maybe the old partners sucked.

It's like living with roommates. Then you kick out your roommates. Then you live by yourself a bit but are open to new roommates in the future. Just because the old roommate sucked doesn't mean the new ones will.

The George Gillett name is intriguing, even if he's out. That's a serious high roller. Hopefully the other potential partners are of the same ilk.
Barroway likely wanted control of decision making and he couldn't get it with his existing partners. The only way to get it was to buy them out. Now that Barroway has control, he can try and cut an arena deal and look for a financial partner that will allow him to maintain control of decision making. It will be interesting to see who the new partne might be, but I suspect at this level any new partner with a significant investment would want some control.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That's fair. I really like Barroway. He just needs a couple more zeroes added to his net worth.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Arizona's billionaires, according to Forbes:
  • Mark Shoen, Amerco, net worth of $3.2 billion, No. 729 overall
  • Joe Shoen, Amerco, $2.7 billion, 887th place (tie)
  • Bennett Dorrance, real estate developer and Campbell Soup heir, $2.7 billion, 887th place (tie)
  • Bob Parsons, founder of GoDaddy Inc., $2.7 billion , 887th place (tie)
  • Arturo Moreno, owner of Los Angeles Angels, $2.5 billion, No. 965
  • Ernest Garcia II, owner of DriveTime Automotive, $2.2 billion, No. 1103
  • Stewart Horejsi, Berkshire Hathaway investor, $1.8 billion, No. 1339 (tie)
  • John Kapoor, founder of Insys Therapeutics, $1.8 billion, No. 1339 (tie)
  • Jerry Moyes, founder of Swift Transportation, $1.7 billion, No. 1394
  • Peter Sperling, former Apollo Education Group executive, $1.4 billion, No. 1650

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Arizona's billionaires, according to Forbes:
  • Mark Shoen, Amerco, net worth of $3.2 billion, No. 729 overall
  • Joe Shoen, Amerco, $2.7 billion, 887th place (tie)
  • Bennett Dorrance, real estate developer and Campbell Soup heir, $2.7 billion, 887th place (tie)
  • Bob Parsons, founder of GoDaddy Inc., $2.7 billion , 887th place (tie)
  • Arturo Moreno, owner of Los Angeles Angels, $2.5 billion, No. 965
  • Ernest Garcia II, owner of DriveTime Automotive, $2.2 billion, No. 1103
  • Stewart Horejsi, Berkshire Hathaway investor, $1.8 billion, No. 1339 (tie)
  • John Kapoor, founder of Insys Therapeutics, $1.8 billion, No. 1339 (tie)
  • Jerry Moyes, founder of Swift Transportation, $1.7 billion, No. 1394
  • Peter Sperling, former Apollo Education Group executive, $1.4 billion, No. 1650

didn't SR say that one of the guys AB is talking to is a "big dog pharma guy"? Could it be John Kapoor.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
From his wiki page:

2017 arrest
In October 2017, Kapoor was arrested in Arizona and charged with RICO conspiracy, conspiracy to commit wirefraud, and conspiracy to violate the Anti-Kickback Law.[7] The charges stem from allegations he participated in a scheme to bribe doctors to prescribe a fentanyl-based cancer pain drug, an addictive synthetic opioid.[8] U.S. Attorney William Weinreb said the charges reflected authorities' commitment to combat the opioid epidemic.[8] Kapoor is also alleged to have conspired to defraud health insurance providers.[7] Shortly after the charges were announced, Kapoor resigned from the Board of Insys Therapeutics.[9]

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I saw the Shoen boys at the top of the list and always thought of them as UHaul.... well a quick google showed they provide real estate services to UHaul via Amerco. Just found that interesting.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
From his wiki page:

2017 arrest
In October 2017, Kapoor was arrested in Arizona and charged with RICO conspiracy, conspiracy to commit wirefraud, and conspiracy to violate the Anti-Kickback Law.[7] The charges stem from allegations he participated in a scheme to bribe doctors to prescribe a fentanyl-based cancer pain drug, an addictive synthetic opioid.[8] U.S. Attorney William Weinreb said the charges reflected authorities' commitment to combat the opioid epidemic.[8] Kapoor is also alleged to have conspired to defraud health insurance providers.[7] Shortly after the charges were announced, Kapoor resigned from the Board of Insys Therapeutics.[9]
An NHL shoe in then! :laugh:

Fentanyl - VERY bad situation around that from the pharma abuses to the rampant death's through street abuse.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I saw the Shoen boys at the top of the list and always thought of them as UHaul.... well a quick google showed they provide real estate services to UHaul via Amerco. Just found that interesting.

Yes, the BoH dinguses find that amusing as well. Won't even have to pay anyone to move the team.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It was expressed to me in similar words of a recent Phoenix transplant with deep pockets (billions) in the pharmaceutical field.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The guy that started Discount Tire was the richest guy in AZ at like 7 billion but he died a few months ago. What a genius move it was to name it Discount Tire. Everyone automatically thinks they are cheaper even though that's not the case. Maybe he has a kid that inherits his cash that likes hockey and will buy the team. We have to catch a break eventually right?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
From his wiki page:

2017 arrest
Ideal. Guy will do whatever it takes. Like a lioness protecting her cub. We need a ruthless owner right now. Perfect fit.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just my own speculation here...

I Googled "Arizona billionaire pharmaceutical" and one name I came across was Patrick Soon-Shiong.

He made his money in biotech and has a net worth of about $8 billion. He's been a minority owner of the LA Lakers since 2010.

His wikipedia page also shows he's done some projects with ASU and U of A in the past.

Also this from June, from the Republic, "Plans to massively expand Arizona State University’s footprint on the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus with the help of a billionaire doctor are off, university officials confirmed Wednesday. ASU no longer is negotiating the development of about seven acres of city land with NantWorks, the company led by Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, a university spokesman said in a statement."

I have no idea if this guy is local, and again, just my own speculation, but there are some interesting connections there for sure. At at $8 billion he'd be one of the richest owners in the NHL.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The guy that started Discount Tire was the richest guy in AZ at like 7 billion but he died a few months ago. What a genius move it was to name it Discount Tire. Everyone automatically thinks they are cheaper even though that's not the case. Maybe he has a kid that inherits his cash that likes hockey and will buy the team. We have to catch a break eventually right?
I've had some interaction with the Halle Foundation. Involved in a slew of projects locally (from museums, to shelters, to education and arts). Not sure they're altruistic enough to buy the Coyotes haha But first class family, and Bruce was as nice a fellow as you have ever met. If I run across Diane, Michael, or Jr, I'll make sure to drop a throwaway line about seeing the Coyotes play recently. Haha

Reactions: RemoAZ

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Just my own speculation here...

I Googled "Arizona billionaire pharmaceutical" and one name I came across was Patrick Soon-Shiong.

He made his money in biotech and has a net worth of about $8 billion. He's been a minority owner of the LA Lakers since 2010.

His wikipedia page also shows he's done some projects with ASU and U of A in the past.

Also this from June, from the Republic, "Plans to massively expand Arizona State University’s footprint on the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus with the help of a billionaire doctor are off, university officials confirmed Wednesday. ASU no longer is negotiating the development of about seven acres of city land with NantWorks, the company led by Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, a university spokesman said in a statement."

I have no idea if this guy is local, and again, just my own speculation, but there are some interesting connections there for sure. At at $8 billion he'd be one of the richest owners in the NHL.

To piggy back this, if you read the BOH on the Phoenix objective, there is a poster claiming that the potential suitors are of asian decent.

You could be onto something, my friend.

Reactions: Grimes

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Stick to the topic please.... if you have a comment about Barroway searching for investors (or arena related news) fine. There are plenty of other threads available for player discussions

Whatever you think will happen to a thread, kindly keep it to yourself...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00