Morgan: Barroway in discussions with investors [Mod Warning Post #50]

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
To piggy back this, if you read the BOH on the Phoenix objective, there is a poster claiming that the potential suitors are of asian decent.

You could be onto something, my friend.
Yes, not to mention, I saw two women of Asian decent at the game Sunday!
I jest

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Karmanos 2.0

What I CAN see (as I said over in the Necrotic Horse Assault Forum) is possibly some Chinese interest in building a new barn, based on the inroads the NHL has made in that area. But if the NHL were nervous about any of the AZ tribes hosting an arena and/or investing in the franchise, why would they be any more sanguine about such a significant foreign investment?

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What I CAN see (as I said over in the Necrotic Horse Assault Forum) is possibly some Chinese interest in building a new barn, based on the inroads the NHL has made in that area. But if the NHL were nervous about any of the AZ tribes hosting an arena and/or investing in the franchise, why would they be any more sanguine about such a significant foreign investment?

Yeah I don’t get that either. The Salt River Community seems like such a natural fit. And this market needs as much local involvement as it can get.

Reactions: Heldig

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Necrotic horse assault forum made me laugh for damn near a minute.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah I don’t get that either. The Salt River Community seems like such a natural fit. And this market needs as much local involvement as it can get.
While local involvement would be nice, I don't give a damn where it comes from. :)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
While local involvement would be nice, I don't give a damn where it comes from. :)

So you wouldn’t care if some city or other entity got pillaged into subsidizing the franchise just so you can have a team to gripe about??

:skeptic:

The NHAF would love you.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So you wouldn’t care if some city or other entity got pillaged into subsidizing the franchise just so you can have a team to gripe about??

:skeptic:

The NHAF would love you.
Pillaged to you might seem like a good deal for others.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think there are some good legal reasons (mostly question marks) for not getting involved on the rez, but with MLB putting its foot in the water, that may allay some of the fears a bit. Preferable to leaving, IMO, but I doubt it's their first or even second choice.

Reactions: SniperHF

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
The Chinese are interested in investing with the team, start the "Coyotes move to China rumors!". We should get that one going just to throw it back in the "Make it eight" crowd's face.

I am not expert in these matters, but where is the value of investing in the Coyotes for a foreign entity? It has to be all about selling the franchise and making a profit then, right? This kind of ownership does not inspire confidence in me, but I guess it is better than no money flowing through the team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I am not expert in these matters, but where is the value of investing in the Coyotes for a foreign entity? It has to be all about selling the franchise and making a profit then, right?

Not necessarily. You would assume that foreign investors would be purchasing non-reservation land in the highest-value real estate in the Valley. If they build the arena and own it, they receive all non-hockey revenue from it. And there would have to be some quid pro quo from the NHL on the table as well, the same NHL that is working to help China build their national hockey program (and, I've heard from a couple of sources, exploring the possibility of a possible pro league there). A lot of B2B possibilities there, and China certainly doesn't lack the money.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pillaged to you might seem like a good deal for others.

Not the point. You made a very flippant commment that would have been ripped apart in a real discussion.

Coyotes aren’t going to get another deal like the one they squandered in Glendale..... ever. Not unless they pony up a significant amount of capital of their own up front. So the question is does Barroway have the resources for that?? Smart money says no.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The 202 South Mountain Freeway is due to open in late 2019, could cut 30+ minutes off the GRA commute for SE Valley fans (Chandler, Gilbert, QC, etc).

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
The 202 South Mountain Freeway is due to open in late 2019, could cut 30+ minutes off the GRA commute for SE Valley fans (Chandler, Gilbert, QC, etc).
30 minutes? How do you figure that? How much would milage be truly cut down?? Still literally impossible to bring your kid to a weekday game

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
The Chinese are interested in investing with the team, start the "Coyotes move to China rumors!". We should get that one going just to throw it back in the "Make it eight" crowd's face.

I am not expert in these matters, but where is the value of investing in the Coyotes for a foreign entity? It has to be all about selling the franchise and making a profit then, right? This kind of ownership does not inspire confidence in me, but I guess it is better than no money flowing through the team.
Chinese what now?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chinese what now?
If you're ever in Chandler, stop by Chou's for the soup dumplings. Amazing. The soup is IN the dumplings for crying out loud. XLB baby. Or by China Magic Noodle for some hand-pulled noodle soup to order. I recommend the sliced-beef with soup noodles. Both spots have a glass window into the kitchen so you can watch the prep. A meal AND a show!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad