More Successful Team: Carolina Hurricanes vs. San Jose Sharks

Which team do you say is more successful?

• Carolina Hurricanes (1997-present)

• San Jose Sharks

• Can't decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As a fan of a franchise who had 40 years of irrelevance before Cup #1 and is looking to enter the dark ages yet again...

Give me the Cup every time. Only people voting Sharks here are Sharks fans and fans of teams who don't have a Cup.

Nothing compares. Not 10 years straight of "relative success" because you either win or you don't. It's binary. Second place feels just as bad--if not worse--than missing.

Now what the Sharks have done as far as staying competitive for so long is super impressive and deserves absolute props, it's very difficult to be that good for that long. But when this current crop falls off and they start missing the playoffs consistently, I bet the answer changes to "oh please give me a Cup" rather than "well, we lose in the playoffs every year, so take that, Carolina!"

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
As a fan of a franchise who had 40 years of irrelevance before Cup #1 and is looking to enter the dark ages yet again...

Give me the Cup every time. Only people voting Sharks here are Sharks fans and fans of teams who don't have a Cup.

Nothing compares. Not 10 years straight of "relative success" because you either win or you don't. It's binary. Second place feels just as bad--if not worse--than missing.

Now what the Sharks have done as far as staying competitive for so long is super impressive and deserves absolute props, it's very difficult to be that good for that long. But when this current crop falls off and they start missing the playoffs consistently, I bet the answer changes to "oh please give me a Cup" rather than "well, we lose in the playoffs every year, so take that, Carolina!"

My thought process was there could be fans of teams who, even though they experienced winning a Cup, they have had to endure years (decades) of failure since that Cup win... clears throat... like (most especially) my own fan base. A few others like the Flames, Canadiens, Maple Leafs... who crave some winning seasons, even if it didn't mean winning a Cup.

Then I could see others, most especially Sharks fans, who would say they would give up all of that consistency just to win 1 Cup.

I was going to ask as a requested condition of the response to also include which team you are are fan of.

I am an Oiler fans who lived through the heydays of the Oil... and I voted the Sharks. The past 15 years as an Oiler fan has been unbearable... especially with social media now and the punishment we take on this site (sometimes deservedly so)... it would be so nice to have some success and consistently make the playoffs for a decade.

... but then again... my team has won a Cup and maybe that why I voted for the consistency... you want what you don't have. :laugh:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Give me the team with the Cup. It's the ultimate measure of success.

Reactions: BHD

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Sharks

but Canucks, Sharks and other cup-less teams would rather be Carolina

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Even though it was over 12 years ago, I still remember the pure bliss of Justin Williams scoring the empty netter to seal the deal then watching Brind'Amour lift the Cup. The years since outside of the 2009 run have been pretty painful, but I'm pretty sure making the playoffs every year and never winning the Cup would not be anywhere close to the feelings Canes fans had in 2006. I feel bad for the Canes fans who became fans after that though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
In hockey terms i would say Carolina since they have the cup.

In terms of health of the franchise, one cup and then non stop losing wears on a fanbase and may have financial impacts. In that case San Jose.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If Roloson goes down vs San Jose instead of Carolina, this is likely not even a question. He was the only reason they came back and won that series.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
That’s a very good question. Went with Sharks

My mind was telling me the Hurricanes but I just couldn’t do it

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If Roloson goes down vs San Jose instead of Carolina, this is likely not even a question. He was the only reason they came back and won that series.
Perhaps, but it didn't happen and it doesn't make me feel any differently about our Cup. And in another decade or two, basically no one will remember stuff like this at all.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
1 cup > 0 cups.... math don't lie

They have that title for eternity, nothing can ever change that. plus they have 2002 where they somehow won 2 games against a team stacked with HHOF'ers.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Cup winner for me as well.

It's a totally different question if one would make a poll about regular season success or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad