More Successful Team: Carolina Hurricanes vs. San Jose Sharks

Which team do you say is more successful?

• Carolina Hurricanes (1997-present)

• San Jose Sharks

• Can't decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
On one hand you have the Sharks, recently acclaimed as the 3rd fastest franchise to reach the 1000 win mark in the regular season and so consistently making the playoffs, but without ever capturing the Holy Grail.

On the other hand you have the Carolina Hurricanes, who have had limited success in the regular season but have won the Cup.

Which would you say is the more successful team...

Note: Try to ignore the business aspect of the franchises.

:canes
Carolina Hurricanes (since moving to Carolina in 1997)
1997-current (20 seasons)

Regular Season
GP - 1606
W - 707
L - 659
T - 86
OTL - 97
Pct - 0.497

Playoffs
Out of Playoffs - 15 times (75%)
Made Playoffs - 5 times (25%)
Won Stanley Cup - once
Lost in Finals - once
Lost in round 3 - once
Lost in round 2 - never
Lost in round 1 - 2 times

:sharks
San Jose Sharks
1991 - current (26 Seasons)

Regular Season
GP - 2066
W - 974
L - 829
T - 121
OTL - 82
Pct - 0.521

Playoffs
Missed Playoffs - 6 times (23%)
Made Playoffs - 20 times (77%)
Lost in finals - once
Lost in round 3 - 3 times
Lost in round 2 - 9 times
Lost in round 1 - 7 times

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd say the Sharks because a couple of outlier seasons don't mean too much overall

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
San Jose and its not even close. The Sharks have been a really good team for many many years. Carolina has made the playoffs 5 times, that is pathetic.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that it's the Sharks. I value consistent good performances higher than a Cup. After all, NHL is a form of consistent enjoyment and the day-to-day product is what truly matters, even if it's cool talking about a cup while having a couple beers with a buddy. Consistent good performances also sell tickets far better than whatever it is the Canes are doing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure how 100% of the votes don't go to Carolina, the goal is to win a championship and they have.

SJ Hasn't.

Carolina has also been to more finals

There is no argument for SJ it doesn't exist

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm not sure how 100% of the votes don't go to Carolina, the goal is to win a championship and they have.

SJ Hasn't.

Certainly, you’re entitled to your opinion. But I personally value the last 12 years of near-consecutive playoff runs more than one Cup nearly 15 years ago and complete irrelevance ever since. Perhaps Canes fans feel different.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The goal for each team is to win the cup. Out of the two teams, Carolina is the only one to win the cup, thus Carolina is the answer.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Succesful- probably Carolina...

But I'd prefer to be a fan of San Jose... TBH, being fan of Carolina must be very frustrating, and no- cup from 100 years ago doesn't compensate for longestplayoff draught in the league, relocation rumors and no bright future on the horizon... I'd take a steady playoff team instead...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
From a fan perspective, I'm not sure why you'd want years of watching crap for one cup. Bragging rights? Maybe if the Sharks were constantly out in the first round, but they've had multiple deep runs including playing in the finals and have always been respectable since their 3rd year. Would an extra 2 wins in '16 really change things that much? If so, you probably need to get out more.

Fan enjoyment and success is a little different, but I think they are interrelated. Yes, the goal on the ice is to win the cup, and ultimately the Canes did that, but teams are still a business and putting a consistently entertaining product on the ice is going to be better for business long term. As well, the problem with using the cup as the basis for success is that often luck is prominent in winning and losing. The Sharks had teams capable of winning it all, and perhaps would have in another timeline. I think they had better odds of winning the cup in this time frame than the Canes, but the Canes just managed to beat those odds. Realistically then I think sustained play and giving your team multiple chances is the best measure of success on the ice. Add to that the success of fan entertainment, and I think this is the Sharks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clowe Me

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Cup allows you to die happy as a fan, going with Canes here. Definitely been funner to be a sharks fan the last 10+ years tho. Still cup > everything and if you disagree i don't know what to tell you.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I normally would say Cup trumps all but I can't vote for Carolina over San Jose here

Reactions: mmvvpp

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

SJ Hasn't.

Really tho? Let's be real playoffs are a bit of a crapshoot. Canes won the Cup in the weakest SCF I can remember and promptly returned to mediocrity the next season. No San Jose hasn't sealed the deal but they've put themselves in a position to succeed and maintained that position for like two decades, which is all you can really do. I don't fault anyone for picking Carolina but no argument? Come off it.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
More successful, you'd have to go with the Cup. As a fan? It's tight, but I'd prefer San Jose's success to the shit we've had to endure.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Canes have the cup, but the Sharks have been a consistently better team. Homer vote, but I could see people valuing the cup higher.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Sharks have been better regular season team obviously but they haven't won a Cup. Also Hurricanes have made the Stanley Cup finals 2 times to the Sharks 1 time.

I know how hard it is for a team to win a championship so Hurricanes over Sharks.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I guess the Islanders have been a rousing success since the 1982-83 season, after all they did win the cup. The Oilers too are a tale of great success starting from the 89-90 season, once again they won a cup.

A few cup runs do not make up for years of pathetic results.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Really tho? Let's be real playoffs are a bit of a crapshoot. Canes won the Cup in the weakest SCF I can remember and promptly returned to mediocrity the next season. No San Jose hasn't sealed the deal but they've put themselves in a position to succeed and maintained that position for like two decades, which is all you can really do. I don't fault anyone for picking Carolina but no argument? Come off it.

You come off it, the goal is cup, one team has obe 1 team doesn't

simple as that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad