More points this year: Laine or Puljujarvi?

Who will have more points this year? Laine or Puljujarvi?

• Total voters

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Until Poolparty puts together a season like Laine has, this is Patty.

With that said. I like Jesse, and while I wish we had traded down, I'm happy he's on the team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Agreed with most, points wise Laine will probably still be higher, the Jets can surround him with enough playmakers and the right system on his line for him to hammer pucks since that still appears to be his bread and butter.

Puljujarvi would be the more versatile scorer (can score off the rush or use his size down low for jam plays and tips) and he'll be the better all-around winger but since you asked points it's probably still Laine (unless he and Hyman get tons of assists for Connor's goals).
I’m not sure if you realize this but Laine isn’t on the Jets anymore. He’s on Columbus. Which is a big reason why he doesn’t look like a great bet to put up a lot of points

Reactions: PettersonHughes

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm not a big Laine fan. Can still remember catching some heat from folks for saying Kyle Connor was going to be a better player a couple season ago.

That said, this is still Lolaine for me very easily. Laine is going to have a huge role in Columbus' offense this season - top line and top PP minutes for sure.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I would easily take this action given the odds would likely be tough. I'd pretty confidently choose Puljujarvi playing with McDavid at the price

Reactions: RSPens

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Pulj might score more because Laine is the guy in CBJ who will be bottom feeders and Pulj gets to ride wing to McDavid and Hyman. He'll be getting so many tap ins and easy assists, not really fair. Doesn't mean he is better than Laine.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Funny that if this poll had been done exactly a year ago when Laine was still a Jet this poll would of been a Laine win by a 95+% landslide.

How things have changed.

JoeMc

Sep 22, 2013
Laine should get way more power play time, so I'll go with him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A lot can change in a year or 2

less than 2 years ago, people claimed Laine would be a legendary NHL player and was without question the best player from the 2016 draft, capable of 80 goal, 150 point seasons.

The only people who thought anything close to that was that small group of Finnish fans who think every single good player coming out of Finland will be superstars. It's the same group who thought Granlund was going to be Patrick Kane and Pulkkinen was going to be Ovechkin (goal scoring-wise, not playstyle-wise).

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Funny that if this poll had been done exactly a year ago when Laine was still a Jet this poll would of been a Laine win by a 95+% landslide.

How things have changed.
While pool party is improving by the game, Laine is improving his COD skills by the hour.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Laine is way better even with his down play last year. To this point in their respective careers it’s not even close. Where they go from here will be interesting to see.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Hoping that Laine has a bounce back year without Torts. On the other hand looks like JP is ready to take off too. Anyways, Laine with correct usage would be my choice.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Laine is way better even with his down play last year. To this point in their respective careers it’s not even close. Where they go from here will be interesting to see.

You seriously think Laine was the better player of the two last season? How?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I am a Jet fan that is very glad that Laine is no longer playing on the Jets. That said I still think Laine is still the better player then Pulju. On the CBJ Laine will have to produce his own offence while Pulju will have McD doing all the heavy lifting to produce which give Pulju a major advantage. Laine is still the better player if he wants to be. Does he want to be? I think this season will determent if Laine want to be one of the leagues best or not?

Laine never produced offense on his own, literally not a single time. Jets had one of the strongest top 6 in the league for his whole career.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Laine with his worst year of his career last year was still on pace for better than Puljujarvi’s best year, how is this even a question? Laine is going to bounce back now that Torts is gone.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Laine with his worst year of his career last year was still on pace for better than Puljujarvi’s best year, how is this even a question?

Because Pulju can be even better this year than last year and Laine might not be? At this very moment they're not so far from each other so it's a legitimate question.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Laine with his worst year of his career last year was still on pace for better than Puljujarvi’s best year, how is this even a question? Laine is going to bounce back now that Torts is gone.
Yeah this is a dumb poll. I get the hope that Puljaarvi takes a step this year from his high of a 37 point pace last year but right now this shouldn’t even be a question.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I will go with Laine. I think we are just seeing the beginning of Puljujarvi though. You can definitely see maturity growing in his games. His confidence with and without the puck has grown greatly. His all around game is really strong, his passing has improved, his on ice vision, using his body and being more physical. He will play with McDavid which is always great but he is starting to create his own chances and chances for the other players on the ice, he isn't waiting around for other players to do something. I really like his play ending last season and through training camp thus far. He is really starting to make an impact.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Should be an interesting year for both. It's preseason, but if Laine can play like this, and is allowed to with Torts no longer behind the bench, he should bounce back this season with plays like these.

Reactions: Maximus

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Laine last year: 45 games, 21 points
Puljujarvi: 55 games, 25 points

It's a legit question IMO

Reactions: RSPens

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Simple question. We all know the different paths these two have taken since the 2016 draft. What happens this year?

I think Laine. He's playing very well on a line with Voracek and the two of them should be dangerous this year. I can see Laine returning to form a bit(in spite of terrible Centres on Columbus) and scoring 35-40 goals.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
From these comments you can clearly tell who saw Pulju playing last year and who didn't. He's the real deal.

LOL. Uh, yeah. 62 pts in 194 career games. He's awesome. Even being on a line with McDavid, he'll be the weak link.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Well one gets to play with the best player in the world and the other one plays for Columbus. Does that mean that Laine can't/won't put up more points? No, but he will have to do the majority of the work to get those points. Pulju could be a pylon on McJeebus's line and still put up 40-50 pts. Seeing as Pulju is actually a decent player that seems to compliment McDavid, he could very well outscore Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad