More points this year: Laine or Puljujarvi?

Who will have more points this year? Laine or Puljujarvi?

• Total voters

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I predicted before they played in the NHL that Puljujarvi would turn out to be a better player. Didn't look too good at first. Now I think there's a chance it'll happen.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I predicted before they played in the NHL that Puljujarvi would turn out to be a better player. Didn't look too good at first. Now I think there's a chance it'll happen.

Well they were neck and neck leading up to the draft so that isn't too bold - now Puljujarvi has a long way to catch up though

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean Pulju has a decent way to go to catch Laine and his career so far.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pulju is already the better overall player. Defense included. The offense is just starting to come, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pulju showed to be more dynamic than Laine offensively starting this year.

Reactions: snipes

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I mean Pulju has a decent way to go to catch Laine and his career so far.

Well they were neck and neck leading up to the draft so that isn't too bold - now Puljujarvi has a long way to catch up though

For certain. These guys are 23 years old and who knows how long each of them will be in the NHL. My prediction always was a long shot but the odds look better every year.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I am a Jet fan that is very glad that Laine is no longer playing on the Jets. That said I still think Laine is still the better player then Pulju. On the CBJ Laine will have to produce his own offence while Pulju will have McD doing all the heavy lifting to produce which give Pulju a major advantage. Laine is still the better player if he wants to be. Does he want to be? I think this season will determent if Laine want to be one of the leagues best or not?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Laine is in one of the worst spots to produce while Puljujarvi is in one of the best. If they switched places Laine would win this in a landslide. Columbus looks like they’re going to struggle in that division and they don’t have a 1C for Laine to play with.

Puljujarvi due to his scenario

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Puljujärvi is going to have a breakthrough year playing the best hockey of his career and Laine will be struggling with same issues than last year. Voted for Pulju but it could go either way. If Pulju gets PP1 time like Laine, it's Pulju all the way. But likely Laine will play all the powerplays and Pulju on the other hand will see just the end of the PP's at the most so it's hard to say.

Puljujarvi has 62 career points. Laine has 3 seasons where he scored more than 62 points.

So? Puljujärvi is just realizing his potential right now and Laine seems to be getting worse.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulju is going to have a massive breakout season and he actually gives a shit about being a pro hockey player.

I love his two way play, he’s an elite defensive player and the analytics match the eye test.

Only one preseason game but Hyman-McDavid-Pulju were Globetrotting on the Kraken in the one game they played together he should also get more PP time this year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In Laine’s best season he paced for 76 points. Puljaarvi’s best is a 37 point pace.
I understand the optimism of some Oiler fans that he can have a breakout season playing with McDavid but until proven otherwise the answer is Laine.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
In Laine’s best season he paced for 76 points. Puljaarvi’s best is a 37 point pace.
I understand the optimism of some Oiler fans that he can have a breakout season playing with McDavid but until proven otherwise the answer is Laine.
Remember when Ty Rattie looked amazing on McDavid's wing for a preseason game and Oilers fans were penciling him in for 30 goals? :laugh: I sure do. The answer to this is Laine far and away. Probably double. Potentially triple.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Remember when Ty Rattie looked amazing on McDavid's wing for a preseason game and Oilers fans were penciling him in for 30 goals? :laugh: I sure do. The answer to this is Laine far and away. Probably double. Potentially triple.

From these comments you can clearly tell who saw Pulju playing last year and who didn't. He's the real deal.

Reactions: McAsuno and snipes

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A down season for Laine is a breakout for Puljujarvi in terms of points. Puljujarvi was a really effective overall player 5v5 last year and probably the better 5v5 player between them if it continues, but I just don't see the finish to be much more than a 45-50 point player, especially if he's not going to be on PP1, which seems like it will go to Hyman. I don't expect Laine to have a great season in Columbus on what should be a low scoring team, but he likely will get lots of offensive opportunity with a new coach and tons of PP time, so I'd be surprised if he was under 50.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
From these comments you can clearly tell who saw Pulju playing last year and who didn't. He's the real deal.
The thread is about points production not whether a player is a good player or not.
If he puts up more than 37 points then he will get more recognition imo. Until then he’s being rated fairly imo as a good two way player but not a high end offensive one.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

In fairness, the offence has yet to fully come for him yet despite all the other areas away from the puck he does so well.. He’s an elite defensive forward and did much of the heavy lifting defensively for McDavid last year. He’s an absolute puck hound and uses his good skating, size, and stick work in the defensive zone to shutdown passing lanes and offensive opportunities for the other team.

We love our two way forwards on HF so I suspect he’ll get a lot of love for his defensive play if he doesn’t already, which is miles ahead of Laine.

I think he looks poised for a massive breakout year offensively though, he seems comfortable and in the right place.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Laine is better at video games than he is at hockey nowadays
Why can't he be good at both. That said, we aren't comparing his video game career to his hockey career. We are comparing Pulj to Laine and I think Laine is better at both.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Agreed with most, points wise Laine will probably still be higher, the Jackets can surround him with enough playmakers and the right system on his line for him to hammer pucks since that still appears to be his bread and butter.

Puljujarvi would be the more versatile scorer (can score off the rush or use his size down low for jam plays and tips) and he'll be the better all-around winger but since you asked points it's probably still Laine (unless he and Hyman get tons of assists for Connor's goals).

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Agreed with most, points wise Laine will probably still be higher, the Jets can surround him with enough playmakers and the right system on his line for him to hammer pucks since that still appears to be his bread and butter.

Puljujarvi would be the more versatile scorer (can score off the rush or use his size down low for jam plays and tips) and he'll be the better all-around winger but since you asked points it's probably still Laine (unless he and Hyman get tons of assists for Connor's goals).

Did you not follow hockey for an entire calendar year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad