More expensive future: Michael McCarron or Nikita Scherbak

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Scherbak looks like he could become a great top line forward and if not a really good top 6 forward... McCarron looks like hes gonna be a 4th liner and if were lucky occasionally a 3rd liner

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Scherbak looks like he could become a great top line forward and if not a really good top 6 forward... McCarron looks like hes gonna be a 4th liner and if were lucky occasionally a 3rd liner

If McCarron can wrap his head around the type of player he needs to be (I'm thinking Bertuzzi type). He can play on a second line and make space for our speedy forwards. If he thinks he will play a perimeter game and take a lot of outside shots, he never makes the NHL.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal

Well if we're lucky we could end up with a Brian Boyle.
Boyle's first 2 years in the NCAA wasn't too good either, so Im not giving up on McCarron just yet.

PricePkPatch*

Boyle's first 2 years in the NCAA wasn't too good either, so Im not giving up on McCarron just yet.

I dont think anyone has given up on McCarron... They are just underwhelmed by his progression.

Anyome calling him a Bust at this point is clearly out of their mind.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I dont think anyone has given up on McCarron... They are just underwhelmed by his progression.

Anyome calling him a Bust at this point is clearly out of their mind.

The test for McCarron's development this year will be what he does in London. Last year he came in a bit out of shape and unprepared, now he knows what it takes plays he will get more minutes. He needs to be a force out there, dominate physically and put up pretty good numbers(60-70 points). I wouldn't mind seeing him throw his weight around in exhibition also, I can understand not wanting to run over future teammates at rookie camp, exhibition there is no excuse.

PricePkPatch*

The test for McCarron's development this year will be what he does in London. Last year he came in a bit out of shape and unprepared, now he knows what it takes plays he will get more minutes. He needs to be a force out there, dominate physically and put up pretty good numbers(60-70 points). I wouldn't mind seeing him throw his weight around in exhibition also, I can understand not wanting to run over future teammates at rookie camp, exhibition there is no excuse.

I do remember last year, his training camp was underwhelming but his exhibition games were fantastic..

Ohhh.. I hope we put Weise, Tinordi, McCarron against the Bs..

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
WTH is 'more expensive future'?

Voted McCarron because he's a big boy and his weekly shopping bill must be a nightmare. Scherbak does look the type to favour hot tubs full of bikini clad supermodels in expensive hotels though....

Prospector

Aug 28, 2004

Voted McCarron because he's a big boy and his weekly shopping bill must be a nightmare. Scherbak does look the type to favour hot tubs full of bikini clad supermodels in expensive hotels though....

I Lol'ed

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Billionaire owners are shuddering at the thought of how these two future millionaires might be able to shop for groceries and babes one day.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Where's the "It depends upon which player works the hardest, has the passion to be the best at his position and wants to win, more than anyone else!" answer? Impossible to predict, without knowing the people and their workouts, attitudes and passion to be #1.:nod:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Judging by the webcast, it sure looks like McCarron has trimmed up. He looks good and it seems his wheels have picked up considerably. That's good news. If he can continue to grow into his frame with muscle and he keeps progressing, I don't see why he couldn't compete for a bottom 6 spot for us down the road. I like that the kid is really putting in the work. Speaks volumes.

I get to see this Scherbak kid all the time and there is zero doubt he has a ton of offensive talent. Smooth skater and even a bit of a nasty streak in him. I thought this was a great pick at the draft and in a couple of years, he'll be right up there in the lineup with the big boys. He's Russian by birth, but he's Canadian at heart. I have no worries about this kid and his drive to be a NHL player.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

I'm not giving up on McCarron, but its important to point out that there are a lot of examples of 18 year old forwards struggling in the NCAA who go on to be productive NHL players. There aren't a lot of examples of 18 year old forwards putting up the level of production McCarron did and going on to productive NHLers.

Thats the nature of one league featuring 16-19 year olds (with three 20 year olds per team) vs a league featuring 18-24 year olds.

An 18 year old struggling against a bigger age group can happen and can be overcome. An 18 year old where he's in the upper half of the league's age group (especially one whose size literally makes him a man amongst boys) not producing is a red flag.

Hopefully he has a big year this year.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Judging by the webcast, it sure looks like McCarron has trimmed up. He looks good and it seems his wheels have picked up considerably. That's good news. ...

Good. I have advocated this many times, including posts 50 and 52 of this thread. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1648317

It's the same as Ovechkin, who was more explosive around 220 than 240. It's just physics. He benefits from stronger legs, but otherwise carrying less bodyweight.

That said, this is the most one-sided poll I've ever seen on these boards. :laugh:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Who cares what they're paid? It doesn't come out of our pockets. Le Canadien is a very profitable enterprise. As for Scherbak and McCarron, Scherbak seems to have the more certain future in the NHL. However, it's not impossible for McCarron to have a good career as well. He's not Lurch from the Munsters or Dr. Frankenstein's monster, you know.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
McCarron is criminally under-rated on these boards.

I just don't get it.

That being said, I think Scherbak.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
McCarron is criminally under-rated on these boards.

I just don't get it.

That being said, I think Scherbak.

His season last year was a complete flop by any measurement.

He needs to be a lot better this year.

Amongst all forwards (all 7 rounds of the draft) only 5 guys were drafted, played in the CHL, and had a lower PPG than McCarron... They were taken in the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th rounds respectively.

On top of that, since the 90s, only a handful of forwards have put up a similar PPG in their post draft season in the CHL, and gone on to have productive NHL careers. Even the vast, vast majority of third and fourth line grinders are PPG players at that age.

Yes there are some exceptions... but I cant find a single CHL guy drafted in the first round who fits that description going back to the early 90s.... I can only find late round picks and undrafted players who are getting less than 0.55 PPG in their 18/19 year old season, and still go on to become good NHLers (non-goons).

That doesn't mean he's a bust... but that certainly means that expectations have been tempered quite a bit after that season.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't understand this thread, what does it matter?

Me neither. I just don't get it.

OP, you know these guys might not even make it to the NHL? And even if they do and are great players, they're gonna get paid what they are worth. What's the problem?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure some posters around here have a wet dream of winning a cup with a bunch of 1st-2nd round picks still on their ELCs with a team right at the cap floor. :laugh:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Is this thread a joke?

It's Scherbak and it's not even close. He's the only prospect we have with legit first line potential.

Koivu 11

Jul 23, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Is this thread a joke?

It's Scherbak and it's not even close. He's the only prospect we have with legit first line potential.

my thoughts exactly...and how irrelevant? They don't even have entry level deals (that are active)...let alone know that they will make the NHL lol either way even after all that, its still ridiculous cause obviously its scherbak as a WAY more skilled player...

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Judging by the webcast, it sure looks like McCarron has trimmed up. He looks good and it seems his wheels have picked up considerably. That's good news. If he can continue to grow into his frame with muscle and he keeps progressing, I don't see why he couldn't compete for a bottom 6 spot for us down the road. I like that the kid is really putting in the work. Speaks volumes.

I think the Hunters explained pretty darn clearly to McCarron that he won't make the NHL on his skill alone, no chance. If he makes it, it's because he's going to put twice the amount of work the talented kids are putting.

Good on him to actually understand this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad