More Epic Disappointment, Again

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I was 12.

Oh, sorry that was the last time they actually won a deciding game.
13 myself.

I have been watching a lot of Flames this year. Their core seems to have a good combination of skill and grit/heart. It is refreshing and also sad as their core is/will be probably half of what our core is... Also notice how their core came through in game 7 - Tkachuk scored and Gaudreau scored the OT winner.

For the first time in 26 years as a fan, I only watched about 60-70% of the regular season games. This year, I am watching 0%, and not likely watching a playoff game until it's the deciding game (e.g., 3-1, 3-2, 3-3). I want 7.5h hours/week of my life back lol.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Unfortunately Leafs management and fans are obsessed with have the 4 shiny stars and that’s a problem.
pits ok to have 1 or 2 of them but 4 paid what they are is crippling this team.
3-11 million dollar players and we are going golfing,myet teams without these shiny toys but better balanced teams are moving on………6 years in a row. I can’t believe that there is anyone that thinks this model deserves another run thru.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I’ve been a fan for 60 years and for the first time ever I didn’t watch a single game this season. I haven’t stopped being a fan, but I just can’t watch any more. The stress and pain are too much. I watch the highlights and read the accounts, but that’s it, and my life has been better for it. This franchise is cursed and terrible refereeing hasn’t helped matters.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’ll be back

But less of a watcher

My brother has already stopped watching regular season games

I think I’m gonna tune in if I have the time, but I won’t not make plans due to the games

I don’t bother with games on Sportsnet or TSN anymore, stopped after last season.

Got rid of cable, can’t be bothered to stream during the eeek. I just watch Saturday night games on CBC. And CBC has all the playoff games.

This is my hope being let go, not completely but enough that I don’t live and die on a night to night basis anymore

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Unfortunately Leafs management and fans are obsessed with have the 4 shiny stars and that’s a problem.
pits ok to have 1 or 2 of them but 4 paid what they are is crippling this team.
3-11 million dollar players and we are going golfing,myet teams without these shiny toys but better balanced teams are moving on………6 years in a row. I can’t believe that there is anyone that thinks this model deserves another run thru.
If they actually choked like they did last season I'd understand this line of thinking. They finished with 115 points and got rewarded with a date against the back to back cup champs who had 110 points while missing Kucherov for half the season and Vasilevskiy playing far below his standards. They were the better team for the most part in the series and had some bad breaks go against them at key points (goal taken back in game 7 on interference that Tampa got away with all night including at least one of their goals, 5 on 3 in game 6 for TB to tie it on an embellished high stick that didn't even touch the player above the shoulders and a high stick where Hedman lifted Kerfoot's twig into his own face etc.)

The funny thing about this is if we won a round against a weaker team like Capitals or got that one break we needed to win this series everyone here would be going on and on about how much promise this team is showing and how great of a job Dubas and Keefe are doing etc.

It's fine if people want one of the core 4 gone but they also have to understand that you are probably not going to get an equivalent immediate impact back on the return and the team likely gets further from winning the cup next season.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If they actually choked like they did last season I'd understand this line of thinking. They finished with 115 points and got rewarded with a date against the back to back cup champs who had 110 points while missing Kucherov for half the season and Vasilevskiy playing far below his standards. They were the better team for the most part in the series and had some bad breaks go against them at key points (goal taken back in game 7 on interference that Tampa got away with all night including at least one of their goals, 5 on 3 in game 6 for TB to tie it on an embellished high stick that didn't even touch the player above the shoulders and a high stick where Hedman lifted Kerfoot's twig into his own face etc.)

The funny thing about this is if we won a round against a weaker team like Capitals or got that one break we needed to win this series everyone here would be going on and on about how much promise this team is showing and how great of a job Dubas and Keefe are doing etc.

It's fine if people want one of the core 4 gone but they also have to understand that you are probably not going to get an equivalent immediate impact back on the return and the team likely gets further from winning the cup next season.
The threat of change is a bad thing, isn't healthy. To be afraid of change isn't healthy.

Let's say we trade someone and we're not as good. Does that mean losing in 6? Or 5?

What difference does that make?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

In my opinion the fact that they gave it all the had this year is as concerning as last year.
This year showed that their best simply isn’t good enough. No other team has a core like our core 4 yet 8 of them are moving on and 1 is going to win the cup. I don’t think we should be afraid to move on from one of them. Good teams have been built without those 4. No reason why we couldn’t do it.
in my mind the real problem is who do you get rid of.
Nylander doesn’t give enough return or cap relief
We all know you can’t trade Tavares……even though that’s the 11 million that is killing us
So it becomes 1 of Marner or Matthews. That said I don’t see then trading either of those 2…….nor do I necessarily think they should. Basically we are screwed by the way Dubas built the core.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The threat of change is a bad thing, isn't healthy. To be afraid of change isn't healthy.

Let's say we trade someone and we're not as good. Does that mean losing in 6? Or 5?

What difference does that make?
At the end of the day I want the team to win the cup. If they can actually do it by trading one of the core 4 then great. Seeing Matthews' contract is up in 2 years I highly doubt they win the cup within that time frame if they do go down that path though.

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
In my opinion the fact that they gave it all the had this year is as concerning as last year.
This year showed that their best simply isn’t good enough. No other team has a core like our core 4 yet 8 of them are moving on and 1 is going to win the cup. I don’t think we should be afraid to move on from one of them. Good teams have been built without those 4. No reason why we couldn’t do it.
in my mind the real problem is who do you get rid of.
Nylander doesn’t give enough return or cap relief
We all know you can’t trade Tavares……even though that’s the 11 million that is killing us
So it becomes 1 of Marner or Matthews. That said I don’t see then trading either of those 2…….nor do I necessarily think they should. Basically we are screwed by the way Dubas built the core.
I don't really agree with this though. Sure 8 are going to the next round but how many of them would beat Tampa to do it? How many of them actually make it to game 7 against them? I wager if we played like we did in this series against anyone else save Colorado we win. God knows with even a tiny amount of luck we would have won this series in game 6.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
I'm your age OP. Since the CBJ loss I haven't gone out of my way to watch a game or "woo" goals. You will feel much better once you detach yourself somewhat. As you get older its kinda cringe anyway letting a group of millionaire kids have such an impact on your life. Hardcore fandom is so cringe once you're over 30. Lots of things in life that just matter a lot more.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
I’ll be back

But less of a watcher

My brother has already stopped watching regular season games

I think I’m gonna tune in if I have the time, but I won’t not make plans due to the games

Ill be back come playoffs time till then I will not watch a single regular season I dont care if Matthews get a hat trick every game of the regular season.
my disappointment is through the roof

This was me, this year. I didn’t watch the regular season. Didn’t go to one game (STH). Last years loss to Montreal was the last straw for me. The way we lost, in grand Leaf-only like fashion, to the most hated team, with the most arrogant and ignorant fans who have been in my face since elementary school, high school, university, and adulthood - close friends who have no ties to Montreal yet cheered for them their whole life —- I just Needed a break after almost 50 years.

Watched the playoffs. Went to game five. Lost my voice on Tavares’ goal, only for the goal to be called back.
And in the end, as Triumph once sang, “it’s the same old story, all over again....”

I will always be a Leaf fan, but maybe just not as fanatical as I used to be. So sad to say, but they lost me. I don’t anticipate watching regular season games again next year. Yes the effort was better this year than past core years, but there’s always an excuse. I’m just tired.
This is the way

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't really agree with this though. Sure 8 are going to the next round but how many of them would beat Tampa to do it? How many of them actually make it to game 7 against them? I wager if we played like we did in this series against anyone else save Colorado we win. God knows with even a tiny amount of luck we would have won this series in game 6.
Deja Vu
Unlucky
Lost to the "......"
Excuses

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
I watch hockey because I like it.
It's a great game.

I dont like the leafs losing but I also
dont set my self up for disappointment.

Leafs have a good team but they are flawed
Dubus is getting there but handcuffed with some of them contracts.

Defense wins cups

I will enjoy the rest of the playoffs because the leafs are out and now I dont care who wins just get to watch some great hockey and hate watch the soilers

Reactions: ToneDog

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This stuff hasn't happened in a vacuum. They can look world class over and over again in any high tempo regular season game. They can sleepwalk through a "routine" regular season game staying only a goal or two down then strike fast in the 3rd period to pull off a win. That's because they're insanely skilled.

But put them in a big game, a game that means something more to the opponent as well, they repeatedly lay an egg. It isn't just the inconceivable (and not statistically random) 9 straight losses in playoff series win opportunity games. It's the loss of most "big games". They laid an egg at the outdoor game against a very bad Buffalo team in front of an enthusiastic mostly partisan crowd celebrating the return to attended sports events. They got smoked in their "statement" game against Tampa in April.

This isn't about them failing to take an uber-talented team the entire distance, this is about a team that fails every time at the commencement of the journey. They seem tantalizingly close to something big but we all can feel it in our bones that this group hasn't got it. It's worst kind of Faustian deal where the team is a perennial playoff qualifier teasing and punishing its loyal fanbase every Spring without even one fluky series win.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Winning a cup - how about a round?
If people want to pretend this team sucks because they lost a nail biter to Tampa that's their prerogative. Just have the integrity to try and understand that not all first round opponents are equal. But hey if they lost to Tampa after beating a shitty team in round one they're a better team in your eyes right?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If people want to pretend this team sucks because they lost a nail biter to Tampa that's their prerogative. Just have the integrity to try and understand that not all first round opponents are equal. But hey if they lost to Tampa after beating a shitty team in round one they're a better team in your eyes right?
Yeah we're not going to see eye to eye or have meaningful dialogue..... I'll move on.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You know which game cemented my lack of faith in the Leafs?? The epic collapse against Florida.
Teams that win rounds don't allow the opposition to come back on them like that, winners finish those games off.

Leafs are composed of timid guys, there's no killers on this team. The only guys that are physical are complete liabilities (Simmonds/Clifford). They need to offload the p***yes and bring in some men.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm late 50s and only remember cup from what my dad said as I was a lee lad .. but at least I was alive for a Cup .. bottom line for me is COVID and playoff performances past 6 years have changed things for me .. although I did go to see all playoff games against Tampa live in arenas except game 6 .. it was mothers day weekend and my parents have Tampa seasons so it made sense to go anywho to games 3 and 4 (not sure I would have went if my mom was not there) .. I will keep my Leaf seasons and hopefully sell them at a profit like many others do to get a return on investment on da license .. but I now worry based what I read on here a lot of you younger guys with recession kicking in now will not shell out $$$ for aftermarket tickets like years past with a young core .. so maybe next year will be 1st year where da financial paradigm changes (this may be for best anywho) and we get back to being able to pick up $50 tickets on game day in front of arena .. and subscribers start to scream at their account managers at MLSE .. likely this is what is needed to bring about corrective action from board .. last 2 years have been financially rough for Leafs due to pandemic and next 2 will be recessionary issues and bottom line maybe da paradigm shifts and Leafs are no longer da cash cow of past .. to me this is da really only chance to see real change .. da NHL will hurt too when Leafs hurt .. from what I heard on Sunday Sportsnet's TV numbers dropped off a cliff so that will affect things too

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Isnt that what real fans are about? You support your club through thick and thin.

You do, but most importantly I support the Crest :leafson the front as the priority #1, not the name on the back, which is where Leaf Nation differs greatly on belief of support.

Players come and go and management comes and goes over the years, so I support the idea that the goal as a Fan is to cheer your favourite team year after year, and decade after decade on to victory, and the goal of the team is strive to hoist the Cup with each year. :stanley:.

Trust me there has been a lot of thick and thin, and bitter disappointment in the past 55+ years, through Ballard years and even now 18 years (nearly 2 decades) without a single playoff series win.

I'm holding up my end of the bargain in loyal support of the Toronto Maple Leafs since the 1960's, so I've seen hundreds of players come and go and management come and fail and then move on, but also expecting the team I support to hold up their end of the bargain, and bring in new management and thus new players as needed to achieve WINNING which is in both sides best interest.

When the team doesn't win then I expect Ownership to make changes in Management and Player Personnel in an effort to strive to achieve that goal of winning the championship and hoistiing the Stanley Cup.. So whatever and whomever that takes is fine by me, I don't need to support the manager being fired or the player being traded if the objective is to produce better Team Results to be considered a true Leaf Fan.

So criticizing ones own team when things are going wrong, and the team is losing and failing is not about not being loyal to the crest, like some perceive doesn't make you a true fan, its all about the results of the team with WINNING the #1 objective.

This is how long I've been a loyal Leafs fan, the name on the back the reason for support, and you can figure out the # of years of Disappointment since with simple math. :)

1652712523768.png

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
13 myself.

I have been watching a lot of Flames this year. Their core seems to have a good combination of skill and grit/heart. It is refreshing and also sad as their core is/will be probably half of what our core is... Also notice how their core came through in game 7 - Tkachuk scored and Gaudreau scored the OT winner.

For the first time in 26 years as a fan, I only watched about 60-70% of the regular season games. This year, I am watching 0%, and not likely watching a playoff game until it's the deciding game (e.g., 3-1, 3-2, 3-3). I want 7.5h hours/week of my life back lol.

Sutter's team even has high scoring players, including 2 with over 100 points.

So yes, he's old school, but he hasn't stifled them where they can't be offensive.

Maybe the biggest difference is they have a #1 in net.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
What I find hilarious:
People talking about how this team is really good, and "need to run it back" etc...The ultimate goal is to win a Cup, we're here begging to win ONE series in now goin on 18 years. Imagine trying to win 4 of these in one Cup run?

I'm more convinced than ever it'll never happen lol.

Reactions: Leafblooded

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Stick with the process keep the GM and coach the Lightning failed in the playoffs a lot because winning a few cups it’s a long process to get there and the leafs will be there in the future.
Leafs playoff runs with current core (Matthews/Marner era):
- 2016/17: 1st round loss
- 2017/18: 1st round loss
- 2018/19: 1st round loss
- 2019/20: 1st round loss
- 2020/21: 1st round loss
- 2021/22: 1st round loss

Lightning playoff runs with current core (Stamkos/Hedman era):
- 2010/11: Conference finals loss
- 2013/14: 1st round loss
- 2014/15: Stanley Cup finals loss
- 2015/16: 2nd round loss
- 2017/18: Conference finals loss
- 2018/19: 1st round loss
- 2019/20: Stanley Cup finals win
- 2020/21: Stanley Cup finals win
- 2021/22: TBD

The current Lightning core have only gone out twice in the 1st round, there’s really no comparison. They have had a few years where they’ve missed the playoffs, but they’ve been interleaved with deep playoff runs. 6 seasons after drafting Hedman, they’d had a trip to the Stanley Cup finals, and another to the Conference finals.

We’re 6 seasons into our core without a single playoff round won, this is a serious concern warranting major changes.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm almost 34 years old. I've watched this team for nearly 30 years, season in, season out. Every fall they get my hopes up, and every spring they crush them. I promised after Montreal last playoffs that I wouldn't let them play me like this again. Yet, somehow they lured me in with their regular season success, again. I beleafed again. I supported them again. I rooted for them again. I cast a blind eye to all the obvious problems and glaring deficiencies, again. I excused them, again. Again and again and again, leading to another epic disappointment and another crushing defeat... Again. I don't know how much longer I can keep supporting this f***ing trainwreck of a team... I'll say it, again. Yet, I know I'll be back next year... Again. Until then, f*** this team, AGAIN!
After yet another choke job last season, and no management changes I decided to take the year off because I am convinced nothing’s going to change without change. I was right, and going forward, if management changes aren’t made I’ll do the same next season. Eventually ownership will have to come to the realization that Shanahan is a incompetent President who hired a GM who’s concept of cap management is utter madness. So I’ll hang around until ownership either fires or backs the current management at which time I’ll either be back or crawl under the rock I’ve been hiding under………..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad