More Epic Disappointment, Again

Mar 14, 2011
You're better than I am! I can only say that for the 2012-2013 season. :)
Not really part of the Kessel era but 15/16 was also pretty fun as after JVR and Bozak went down, it felt like the Leafs were purposely trying to fill the roster with AHL players to surround Kadri and Parenteau with, was really hoping Lou would trade PA so the forwards would pretty much be Kadri + a bunch of 4th liners/AHL players. Also the optimism for Babcock at the time was still very high.

Reactions: Buds17

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'm 43 and a true diehard. I never miss a game (usually watching clad in Matthews jersey) and have indoctrinated my now-11-year-old son into the religion of the blue & white. It's unfathomable to me to imagine a world where I'm not hard-core. I'm pretty certain I'll still be living and dying with every shift 50 years from now when I'm in the nursing home, regardless of whether they ever get out of the first round again. It just means that much to me.

But I'm getting old here! I have long felt that all this heartbreak will only make it that much sweeter when we finally climb the mountain. But of course there's no guarantee we ever will get there. I was 25 the last time they even got out of Round 1. A lifetime ago.

And I can remember those 93 and 94 teams (when I wasn't much older than my son is now) and the runs we had in the Quinn years when I was in university. Nikolai Borschevsky in overtime...Dougie's wrap-around...Kerry Fraser...Garry Valk...Cory Cross...Stumpy...Mats...Cujo...Nieuwendyk lighting up Lalime in Game 7. The memories of those runs--dusty as they are--sustain my love for this team. I know how incredible it is when Toronto gets swept up in a playoff run and it's like nothing else.

I worry about what this tsunami of failure in the last 20 years means for the current generation of Leafs fans and prospective Leaf fans. It's been so damn long since there's been any moments of significance in the playoffs for this franchise that we're becoming worse than a punchline. Worse than a doormat. We're f***ing irrelevant.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not really part of the Kessel era but 15/16 was also pretty fun as after JVR and Bozak went down, it felt like the Leafs were purposely trying to fill the roster with AHL players to surround Kadri and Parenteau with, was really hoping Lou would trade PA so the forwards would pretty much be Kadri + a bunch of 4th liners/AHL players. Also the optimism for Babcock at the time was still very high.
The epic race to the bottom of the standings!

Scion

May 25, 2012
I'm 32 and watch every game and I probably always will, but the excitement isn't what it used to be. In fact I've turned into a really negative fan that isn't much fun to be around during games.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Leafs until I die no matter how much heart break. Onto year 7 for shanny era. Game 1 in October, I'll be ready with renewed confidence this is our year :laugh:

That's why I self proclaim I can talk as much shit as I want when I succumb to dark moments. My loyalty allows me this freedom. Engvall is getting wrecked this summer. If you like him put me on ignore from now.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Leafs until I die no matter how much heart break. Onto year 7 for shanny era. Game 1 in October, I'll be ready with renewed confidence this is our year :laugh:

That's why I self proclaim I can talk as much shit as I want when I succumb to dark moments. My loyalty allows me this freedom. Engvall is getting wrecked this summer. If you like him put me on ignore from now.
Haha I like this and agree, the loyal fans who have stuck by this team through all the disappointment, have earned the right to talk as much shit about this team as we want

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
22/23 season starts in May 2023,

Matthews could score 100 goals, Mitchy could hit 150 points, Tavares could get leg transplant surgery and learn how to skate...nothing matters until the playoffs.

even the playoffs don't matter anymore. you f*** up so many times does it even matter if you deliver at a certain point anymore

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I’m not planning to watch any playoff game in the future unless it’s a game where the Leafs have a chance to win the series. We’ve seen everything else and it always ends with the same result. No sense watching and getting optimistic when they go up 2-1 or 3-2 in a series anymore with their track record. Only thing worth seeing now is that fourth win which at this rate will happen maybe 20 years from now.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I just enjoy the regular season and the artistry of Matthews/Marner.
I barely watched the playoffs and just checked out this forum.
I still love the game but have no playoff expectations for this organization.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
This loss stung more than the rest for me, but I fully expected it. But deep down I had a bit of hope that the boys would pull out the W. All for nothing.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
See I never bought into the hype that this team and this year would be different, because a Leopard never changes its spots.

You can't just speak Killer instinct into existence, that is something you're born with and you either have it or you don't.

This team is now 0-10 in series clinching games over the past 6 playoff years, with a now proven pattern of not being able to compete and win under pressure when required.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" .. So I said the Leafs would have to PROVE IT to earn my trust, and just as expected they failed and while that is disappointing. it was also expected all the same so that tempered the emotional roller-coaster ride.

Such is the life of a Leafs fan, and sadly you can't change support as the heart wants what the heart wants so you learn to live with the heartache.

Last edited:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
See I never bought into the hype that this team and this year would be different, because a Leopard never changes its spots.

You can't just speak Killer instinct into existence, that is something your born with and you either have it or you don't.

This team is now 0-10 in series clinching games over the past 6 playoff years, with a now proven pattern of not being able to compete and win under pressure when required.

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" .. So I said the Leafs would have to PROVE IT to earn my trust, and just as expected they failed and while that is disappointing. it was also expected all the same so that tempered the emotional roller-coaster ride.

Such is the life of a Leafs fan, and sadly you can't change support as the heart wants what the heart wants so you learn to live with the heartache.
Okay, but did you change your Hart trophy vote after the Leafs lost?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

You can't just speak Killer instinct into existence, that is something your born with and you either have it or you don't.

Isnt that what real fans are about? You support your club through thick and thin.

Reactions: Leafblooded

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Then pretty much trade the entire team. Rebuild. That is the only solution. If Matthews/Marner/Rielly/Tavares/Nylander just never had "it", then that is the only solution. Nothing Dubas/Keefe/Shanny can do if these guys simply lack the Hockey IQ or the "killer instinct" to get it done. The supposedly amazing core they inherited turned out to be a complete lemon, and they will continue to be perennial losers wherever they end up.

At this point Dubas has done his part. Keefe has done his part. They went through the process about as well as you would want them. The players could not dream of a better situation or table set for their success, and they have failed in epic fashion.

Until then, we might as well ride out our core, or trade a guy like Nylander for another core guy to see if that finally wakes them up. That is really the last ditch move. If that can't get them to get going, then nothing will short of dumb (or any) luck and 2014 2.0 is really the only solution. Fire and trade everyone, and hope that the next group has the "killer instinct" to get it done on top of the skill.

Maybe a strong media break would also help. Cut the press coverage. No listening to outside noise or explaining yourself. Don't worry about giving the same canned answers and pretty much finding different variations of saying "we just need to get it done". It is a waste of time and energy, and everyone knows. They know too. If they had the choice, they would probably prefer not to say anything either.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
even the playoffs don't matter anymore. you f*** up so many times does it even matter if you deliver at a certain point anymore
This year 82 games didn’t matter

Next year 88 games don’t matter

If we make the playoffs, it won’t matter. Games 1-6 won’t matter. We will never win a series before game 7. Game 7, the 89th game is the only one that’ll matter. It’s the only one I care about

Once we get there, and if we make the playoffs we know we will for sure go 7, we have to win, no excuses

Even saying this makes me seem dirty. This team has taken the lowest of low bars and still failed to meet them and we give them another chance. We must be like saints

Reactions: saffronleaf

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Stick with the process keep the GM and coach the Lightning failed in the playoffs a lot because winning a few cups it’s a long process to get there and the leafs will be there in the future.
They may have taken a long time to win but they did have some success along the way. We have had none and continue to set embarrassing milestones along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad