More disappointing -- Yakupov or Schultz?

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
These two were supposed to be the final core pieces of this "rebuild." Pretty promising rookie years...and then everything has gone to **** for both of them.

Who's been more disappointing? Not necessarily asking who is better or who will be better. Consider expectations versus performance/growth.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
These two were supposed to be the final core pieces of this "rebuild." Pretty promising rookie years...and then everything has gone to **** for both of them.

Who's been more disappointing? Not necessarily asking who is better or who will be better. Consider expectations versus performance/growth.

Schultz--For me the Oilers screwed up Yak in how they developed him. Schutz was more of a complete player--supposedly

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Have you seen the "election" episode on south park? Hmmmm...a **** sandwhich...or a ******. Tough choice. All i know is hunt is norris potential.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll say Schultz principally because he's a lot older and has had more time to develop and still isn't very good; also with the way he dominated the AHL I thought he'd make a big impact in the NHL, but he to this day does more harm then good when he's out there. Yak is disappointing based on where he was selected, but he wouldn't be the first high pick that took a bit longer to develop to be a difference maker, I also think Eakins never knew how to deploy or manage him to get the best out of him and it set him back as a player.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
I'll say Schultz principally because he's a lot older and has had more time to develop and still isn't very good; also with the way he dominated the AHL I thought he'd make a big impact in the NHL, but he to this day does more harm then good when he's out there. Yak is disappointing based on where he was selected, but he wouldn't be the first high pick that took a bit longer to develop to be a difference maker, I also think Eakins never knew how to deploy or manage him to get the best out of him and it set him back as a player.

Schultz has been given top line minutes and tons of PP time, and was also older as you mentioned so it's tough to argue that he wasn't the bigger let down of the two. Yak was taken first overall, but in the last 10 years he's still among the bottom 2 or 3 of those picks. I think both players are capable of actually turning their careers around on another team though, which makes me sad because it'll never be with us. If you can setup Yak with a cheap contract after his entry level one, put him with a centerman who plays off the rush and can pass well, he could surprise people.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I was saying this to a friend the other day. The biggest pieces that were suppose to turn this team around were Schultz and Yaks. That year we won the lottery and supposedly got a huge bonus in Schultz signing here. Both have been massive busts, how is a rebuild suppose to go when two huge pieces aren't doing anything?

ps, I would add Eberle to this list as well. I know different years, but still.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Schultz.

A lot of the blame on Yak can go to this joke of an organization.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Yakupov for me. Today's games solidified it for me - not that one game makes a player, but even the new coach(es) has(ve) more faith throwing Justin "Hand-Grenade" Schultz in OT than Yakupov, even in the third.

Yakupov was billed as a potential 30/40/50 goal scorer who had a killer wrist shot, unbelieveable first gear for speed, and was unafraid of using the body to get work done (essentially, Ovechkin-lite).

Yakupov, sorry to say, has been nothing short of a disaster here, and I love the guy and wish him the best at all times and think he's still going to turn into something. - but when your new coach trusts Teddy Purcell to play over you, you've done something wrong. It's not that Schultz doesn't have flaws - dear lord, he does - but Yakupov was a 1st overall pick. Hall is something, Nuge is something, Yak ...

There was just so much more to expect from Yakupov. Hence, he's more disappointing.

Needless to say, the whole team is very disappointing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yakupov.

Schultz was a freebie signing, we bombed an entire season and used a 1st overall pick to get Yakupov.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
More disappointing?

Who skates harder? Yakupov.
Who plays the body more often? Yakupov.
Who's been given more minutes over the past two seasons? Schultz.
Who gets more time on the PP? Schultz.
Who's more likely to get some minutes at the end of the game? Schultz.
Who goes to the net when it's a good time to go to the net? Yakupov.
Who pinches when their forwards are't ready to cover for them? Schultz.
Who misses the net more often? Schultz.
Who is more likely to use a limp wrist shot from the point? Schultz.
Who's been given more praise from the organization over the past two years? Schultz.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Schultz for me. Unlike Yak, he gets loads of ice time, minutes, and pp. Been an absolute train wreck defensively. Had high hopes on him, because of how good he was during the AHL stint. MacT's wunder kid, because he's a "norris potential contender."

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
More disappointing?

Who skates harder? Yakupov.
Who plays the body more often? Yakupov.
Who's been given more minutes over the past two seasons? Schultz.
Who gets more time on the PP? Schultz.
Who's more likely to get some minutes at the end of the game? Schultz.
Who goes to the net when it's a good time to go to the net? Yakupov.
Who pinches when their forwards are't ready to cover for them? Schultz.
Who misses the net more often? Schultz.
Who is more likely to use a limp wrist shot from the point? Schultz.
Who's been given more praise from the organization over the past two years? Schultz.

I mean, sure, these are mildly true to certain extents, but I've seen Yakupov use a limp muffin to the crest tonnes of times, seen him miss the net (or the puck) even more, and seen him caught in no-mans-land (like the game against SJ) tonnes of times.

Who has a better +/- this season? Schultz
Who has more points this season? Schultz

And you're missing the most important one.
Who has to play with Brad Hunt? Schultz

At that point, you should be ready for disappointment, if not fully embracing it.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Schultz.

A lot of the blame on Yak can go to this joke of an organization.

Totally! If he was THIS unprepared to play in the NHL there were a number of things that could have been done.

1: Could have traded the pick.
2: Could have picked someone else.
3: Could have traded down in the draft.

Oh, I'm sorry... I forgot. You're not allowed to do that 1st overall picks anymore...

1: Have him play in the CHL for a few years after he's drafted.

Oh, I'm sorry... apparently you're not allowed to send 1st overall picks back down to the CHL. I think Mike Modano was the last 1st overall pick that didn't go straight to the NHL.

1: Give him quality line mates.
2: Bring in experienced players to mentor him.

Oh, I'm sorry. Kurri and Messier aren't playing hockey anymore. I guess there isn't anyone else to bring in.

1: Bring in experienced coaches who have a history with young offensively minded players.

Oh, I'm sorry. I think we've used up all of the coaches.

#fail

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I mean, sure, these are mildly true to certain extents, but I've seen Yakupov use a limp muffin to the crest tonnes of times, seen him miss the net (or the puck) even more, and seen him caught in no-mans-land (like the game against SJ) tonnes of times.

Who has a better +/- this season? Schultz
Who has more points this season? Schultz

And you're missing the most important one.
Who has to play with Brad Hunt? Schultz

At that point, you should be ready for disappointment, if not fully embracing it.

You're right... they're equally disappointing.

I think i need to cry.

:(

Jul 19, 2012
Yakupov for me simply because it is looking more and more like we smoked a 1st overall on him whereas Schultz was a FA signing we won, and then foolishly anointed him the next Paul Coffey / Norris Trophy winner.

And because I blew 200 bucks buying a Yakupov jersey.

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
You're right... they're equally disappointing.

I think i need to cry.

:(

On the plus side, we've got so many prospects and everything and possibly McDavid and a new arena and ...
This tastes more bitter than a double espresso shot distilled from a year old coffee filter.

there's nothing positive about this franchise right now. Holes everywhere and now popping up everywhere too.

They sold us hard on Schultz as the next Paul Coffey to the Oilerskorps up front, and Yakupov came with all the promise of a 1st overall pick, a dynamic young forward who would make a 6 forward rotation unstoppable and turn our PP into a juggernaut.

And we're still here.

Jul 19, 2012
On the plus side, we've got so many prospects and everything and possibly McDavid and a new arena and ...
This tastes more bitter than a double espresso shot distilled from a year old coffee filter.

there's nothing positive about this franchise right now. Holes everywhere and now popping up everywhere too.

They sold us hard on Schultz as the next Paul Coffey to the Oilerskorps up front, and Yakupov came with all the promise of a 1st overall pick, a dynamic young forward who would make a 6 forward rotation unstoppable and turn our PP into a juggernaut.

And we're still here.

Whaddya mean?!? Our PP is indeed a jugger Not.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

And we're still here.

Cheer up. We haven't lost Petry yet to free agency or traded him for some magic beans. Or Yakupov when he refuses to sign another contract, or Shultz when he asks for his $6 million contract that he's due because of his future Norris (god forbid they actually give it to him).

Dont worry though, they'll all be replaceable by some teams third pairing/sometimes healthy scratch d-man that we'll instantly place on our top pair and I'm sure MacT can sign a soft as butter winger to a $5-6 million per year contract for 4 or 5 years.

But yes we'll have McDavid, with our luck the kid gets hit by a bus.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tough to say. Both have been horribly mismanaged by this organization, but at the same time both are to some degree responsible for where they are at today.

I think right now Justin Schultz is a player that if utilized properly could be an asset in this league and to this team, where as right now there's really not much good about Yakupov's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad