Post-Game Talk: More blown leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The problem is... We already have plenty of bad contracts. Zetterberg, Franzen, mule, Ericsson, Abdelkader

First off, you're presupposing it's going to be a bad contract. Trading for Byfuglien and making a hard push to sign him before he hits UFA could actually result in a cheaper contract (or fewer years) since we wouldn't be competing with anyone. Obviously sending Tatar the other way would be contingent on hearing from Byfuglien on his willingness to sign in Detroit. Don't need to negotiate a contract outright, but just to gauge his level of interest in playing in Detroit longer term. If he's interested, make the trade and then a big push to sign him offering fair value, no lowballing.

As for the contracts you mentioned (Franzen twice, btw) Zetterberg and Franzen will not harm us because of LTIR. Franzen has already gone that route. Zetterberg will follow him eventually if his on-ice impact is far less than his contract but that's years away. And if the people saying Byfuglien's body will just give up are right, well he can go that route too.

As for Ericsson and Abdelkader, I'll repeat what I've said in the past. If we're gonna be overpaying someone (and every single team has at least one, usually multiple) then shouldn't it be a star like Byfuglien rather than run-of-the-mill guys like Abby and Ericsson?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
First off, you're presupposing it's going to be a bad contract. Trading for Byfuglien and making a hard push to sign him before he hits UFA could actually result in a cheaper contract (or fewer years) since we wouldn't be competing with anyone. Obviously sending Tatar the other way would be contingent on hearing from Byfuglien on his willingness to sign in Detroit. Don't need to negotiate a contract outright, but just to gauge his level of interest in playing in Detroit longer term. If he's interested, make the trade and then a big push to sign him offering fair value, no lowballing.

As for the contracts you mentioned (Franzen twice, btw) Zetterberg and Franzen will not harm us because of LTIR. Franzen has already gone that route. Zetterberg will follow him eventually if his on-ice impact is far less than his contract but that's years away. And if the people saying Byfuglien's body will just give up are right, well he can go that route too.

As for Ericsson and Abdelkader, I'll repeat what I've said in the past. If we're gonna be overpaying someone (and every single team has at least one, usually multiple) then shouldn't it be a star like Byfuglien rather than run-of-the-mill guys like Abby and Ericsson?

First don't assume that Z will fall out via that loophole, it could easily be closed if it continues to be abused.

Second Buff holds all the cards right now, why would he sign for less after the deadline when some other team will give him better money over more years? Detroit only keeps him in that case by paying him at least market value.

Third Buff isn't the star presence Detroit needs, he's like the top 'complementary piece' mountain.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Zetterberg's contract isn't bad?

That's another thing. All the years we've gotten Zetterberg at a ~6M cap hit has been great.

First don't assume that Z will fall out via that loophole, it could easily be closed if it continues to be abused.

There isn't any indication that the league is going to do anything against that. They hired Pronger, who 'plays' for the Coyotes, remember? As for the Zetterberg-type contracts that were signed prior to the new CBA and who aren't necessarily legitimately injured, the league already addressed that. With the new CBA. No contracts longer than 7-8 years. Teams are stuck with those old contracts and the league's moved on. There's no interest in punishing those loophole contracts signed under the old CBA. That's my impression, anyway.

Second Buff holds all the cards right now, why would he sign for less after the deadline when some other team will give him better money over more years? Detroit only keeps him in that case by paying him at least market value.

There are many examples of teams trading for upcoming UFAs and re-signing them before they hit free agency. And I did say fair value, by which I meant fair as to what he would receive on the open market.

It's if he hits the open market and desperate teams make desperate offers that the price shoots up. He doesn't know yet what other teams will offer him, so Detroit has an advantage (relative to UFA) in keeping the contract more reasonable. He's from Minnesota so he'll be closer to home, and they can show him how the team treats its players. He threw Kane's clothes in the shower because Kane was being a punk, or so the story goes. Maybe the guy will be impressed by the professional atmosphere and the org's pedigree. Trade for him, show him a good situation in Detroit, and make him a fair offer.

EDIT: Kane showed up for a team meeting in a track suit, breaking the dress code. Byfuglien threw the track suit in the shower. Detroit keeps their locker room and players pretty professional, doubt there's anything like that happening.

Third Buff isn't the star presence Detroit needs, he's like the top 'complementary piece' mountain.

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that. And I think most would too. Vast majority of people in Winnipeg DEFINITELY wouldn't agree, I can attest to that personally. His numbers would dispute that.

If his current team's fans are pretty happy with the guy, think maybe Wings fans would too?

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Credit to the Panthers. They played with a lot of heart and Detroit had to fight for every square inch of ice. The game did have a "disjointed" feel as Mickey described it because neither had a lot of space to make plays. I think there was chatter here in the NHL thread giving respect to Florida, I agree they are a good looking team.

Same as Boston they overall are a big team that plays physical giving the Wings fits. They've had a slow start but honestly both those two could give us a run for our money.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Byfuglien would be a game-changer for this team on the PP, 3 on 3, and even-strength...:help:
This team's problems on the PP is not lack of Byfuglien. We were the best PP team in the league last year (or one of the best) and now we've added Green. Quite simply, we changed PP coaches and now we stink. Adding Byfuglien would not be a gamechanger there.

Buff would help this team offensively for sure though. The question is whether he's worth a 7-year, 7+ million contract. Personally I would rather go for a yonger option like Vatanen who will be cheaper to re-sign and would come with less risk of hurting us in the long run.

Mr Pipe

Mar 1, 2008
Drove up from Chicago to go to the game (had seats on the glass). Too bad it was kind of a boring one.

Still glad to visit JLA whenever I can.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
This team's problems on the PP is not lack of Byfuglien. We were the best PP team in the league last year (or one of the best) and now we've added Green. Quite simply, we changed PP coaches and now we stink.

Yeah, not sure who's running that (I think Ferschweiler?), but he needs to start spending a little more time developing a viable PP game plan. Right now, it's unacceptable.

Meanwhile, kudos to Tony Granato for sharpening up the PK. 'Course, with his past successes in that area, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Looking for continued success here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, not sure who's running that (I think Ferschweiler?), but he needs to start spending a little more time developing a viable PP game plan. Right now, it's unacceptable.
I wonder if there even is a plan. Looks like no one is on the same page. I also don't understand the logic of putting Larkin on Datsyuk's unit and Tatar on Zetterberg's. That's splitting up two duos that work well together.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
I wonder if there even is a plan. Looks like no one is on the same page. I also don't understand the logic of putting Larkin on Datsyuk's unit and Tatar on Zetterberg's. That's splitting up two duos that work well together.

Agreed that you don't want/need to fix what isn't broken...at the same time, though, the way The Kid's playing, I like the notion of pairing him with Dats. If L can pick up some whirligig tricks from D, The Kid could be an irrefutable superstar in a couple of years.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
And zero offensive input to top that off.

Our 4th line has failed us big time so far this season, expecting much more from them.

1 goal from Glendening, Miller, Helm combined. And they have been less than good defensively.24 games is a large enough sample size to show something needs to be changed.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Special teams getting a shakeup for next game apparently.

Sheahan in for Larkin on PP, and Larkin is PKing now

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
:laugh: Funny, funny, funny.

OK, sorry, but someone needs to explain the sense of this one to me...

There is none. Best offensive player who is good defensively - put him on an already well performing PK.

Guy who can't put up points to save his life - replaces best offensive player on an already abysmal PP.

Completely idiotic

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
There is none. Best offensive player who is good defensively - put him on an already well performing PK.

Guy who can't put up points to save his life - replaces best offensive player on an already abysmal PP.

Completely idiotic

I take it you didn't read why the moves were made.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
:laugh: Funny, funny, funny.

OK, sorry, but someone needs to explain the sense of this one to me...

Completely idiotic

I don't hate the move that much, given that Larkin hasn't been great on the PP thus far. He doesn't seem to have the same kind of patience with the puck that's required on the PP that some of the older guys do. He'll figure it out and probably get another look there later in the season though I'm sure.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
I take it you didn't read why the moves were made.

And perhaps you're unclear on why that's a ridiculous move. A move like this is over-desperation. Shifting Larkin props up a PK unit that doesn't need propping up, and takes one of your top shooters off your PP unit. Nonsensical. If you want to bolster your chances with the man advantage, pull someone from the PP unit that's underperforming!

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
I don't hate the move that much, given that Larkin hasn't been great on the PP thus far. He doesn't seem to have the same kind of patience with the puck that's required on the PP that some of the older guys do. He'll figure it out and probably get another look there later in the season though I'm sure.

I don't see that being the problem as much as poor puck handling and passing, along with the endless dump-and-chase from the other end of the rink. The puck handling is improving a little, but that's about it. Get your best handlers on the PP and turn them loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad