Post-Game Talk: More blown leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean. I agree with your points regarding the PP being a system issue moreso than a perssonel issue, but to blatantly call Blashill incompetent despite the fact that the team has looked better in every conceivable way for like 10 games now? Come on.

Anyway. Our PP has regressed, and the easiest person to blame is the person in charge of that (Pat Ferschweiler). Sure, Blashill has the 'final say', and if something isn't working he is going to pressure the assistant coach to make changes.

Right now the powerplay is not dynamic. There isn't enough movement. The PP boils down to one defenseman sitting at the center of the blue line and passing it back and forth to one of the two wingers floating between the half-wall and the tops of the circles. As a result of this perimeter play opponent's don't need to play aggressively and sit back and block shots and clear the puck because our weaknesses are hitting the net and gaining entry of the zone cleanly.

The obvious change that's necessary for the PP to be more effective is to encourage our players to move their feet and skate more, because this system CLEARLY isn't working. However, it's silly to lay the blame entirely on Blash when this board has ripped the assistant coaches for YEARS for mediocre special teams play.

I think the head coach does need to step in from time to time... You know like devoting basically an entire practice to it and forcing a personnel change. Oh wait what happened today?

The primary goal was to focus on them playing the system 5 on 5 a lot better as it was a problem in October and surely the primary focus of practice. Low and behold we are playing a lot better and understanding the system more and bingo what do we have surfacing today Blashill is pushing the PP to the forefront.

Actual Thought*

I think the head coach does need to step in from time to time... You know like devoting basically an entire practice to it and forcing a personnel change. Oh wait what happened today?

The primary goal was to focus on them playing the system 5 on 5 a lot better as it was a problem in October and surely the primary focus of practice. Low and behold we are playing a lot better and understanding the system more and bingo what do we have surfacing today Blashill is pushing the PP to the forefront.

I have zero confidence Blashill will correct the issue. I also don't see much improvement in terms of the system. They just aren't playing up to their potential. They put together a couple of good games against the Kings and Blues but beyond that they have been abysmal.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think when putting helm in the top 6 is considered a solution there's an issue. Helm and Richards on the line with datsyuk makes that line incredibly weak. Tatar or nyquist need to play with Datsyuk. It's time to load up, this spreading the TOI ******** only works when they're actually scoring.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The players clearly know Hiller's system. There is tape. Blashill is just making the very stupid decision to not continue using it. He just isn't a very competent coach. That much is pretty clear at this point.

And it still wouldn't be Hiller's system. The moment Hiller left, the system left. Blashill could do a variation on it, but it's not going to be the exact thing. Could they make it work? Maybe, but I think it's something that Ferschwhatever and the coaching staff wil have to work towards.

Actual Thought*

I think when putting helm in the top 6 is considered a solution there's an issue. Helm and Richards on the line with datsyuk makes that line incredibly weak. Tatar or nyquist need to play with Datsyuk. It's time to load up, this spreading the TOI ******** only works when they're actually scoring.

Changes are made constantly and willy nilly. Changes are made to the lineup even when they win. Players are scratched and then granted PP time. PP sucks. Minutes are poorly managed. The possession has improved slightly as of the return of Pav so Blashill is running him out there 20+ minutes a night. He will be toast before too long and then what is the plan? Blashill's body of work so far is pretty bad IMO.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Changes are made constantly and willy nilly. Changes are made to the lineup even when they win. Players are scratched and then granted PP time. PP sucks. Minutes are poorly managed. The possession has improved slightly as of the return of Pav so Blashill is running him out there 20+ minutes a night. He will be toast before too long and then what is the plan? Blashill's body of work so far is pretty bad IMO.

It'll be about the same as last year.

Actual Thought*

And it still wouldn't be Hiller's system. The moment Hiller left, the system left. Blashill could do a variation on it, but it's not going to be the exact thing. Could they make it work? Maybe, but I think it's something that Ferschwhatever and the coaching staff wil have to work towards.

I think Blashill actually thinks he knows better. So far I don't see anything that is better and a lot that is worse.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What will be the same?

Make the playoffs, lose in the first round. That's been the constant for years. Different coaches, same players (for the most part), but the same issues. I think it's pretty apparent what the issues are, Babcock had the same problems that are haunting this team. This season is basically mirroring last year right down to the exact number of wins.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Blashill actually thinks he knows better. So far I don't see anything that is better and a lot that is worse.

I don't know what Blashill thinks. I see the team playing differently style wise, but I think the results are basically the same as we should have expected under Babcock - one of many teams fighting to make the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

Make the playoffs, lose in the first round. That's been the constant for years. Different coaches, same players (for the most part), but the same issues. I think it's pretty apparent what the issues are, Babcock had the same problems that are haunting this team. This season is basically mirroring last year right down to the exact number of wins.

The team plays far worse than last year. The goaltending has been very good and is masking their issues. Besides that has only been the constant for 2 years.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Jim Hiller's departure is the biggest reason for this drop off on the PP. Terrible PP's exist because of bad coaching. This team has to much talent to have a bad PP. It's unacceptable.

The least Blash can do is go back to, 4F and 1D. That worked really well, and allows Detroit to split Kronwall and Green as well. I honestly have no clue why Blash would come in and even mess with the biggest strength of the team. It's a mistake that needs to be addressed. Soon.
Yes, this is exactly what I was going to say. I have no idea what Blash is thinking doing this. This worked beautifully last year, we have the same personal, but with two good new players in Larkin and green. We should be ripping it up on the power play. Coaching obviously so far this season has to be a factor, no way around it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yes, this is exactly what I was going to say. I have no idea what Blash is thinking doing this. This worked beautifully last year, we have the same personal, but with two good new players in Larkin and green. We should be ripping it up on the power play. Coaching obviously so far this season has to be a factor, no way around it.

You'd almost have a point, except for even Scotty Bowman, Dave Lewis and Barry Smith's powerplay had dramatic variance from year-to-year with nearly the same roster.

1996 was 21.32% (1st)
1997 dropped to 17.93% (7th)

How can this be so? They had nearly the same roster AND the same coaches. Could it be more factors than just simply blaming "coaching"? At the end of the day, players need to take some responsibility. After all, they are only paid millions of dollars to play professional sports.

How is it "coaching" fault that Zetterberg looks like he's a shell of his former self (looking to be the next Dan Cleary) and that Datsyuk missed 15 games and has only played 9. How the hell is that Blashill's fault?

Blashill's NHL coaching career started with the deck stacked against him at every possible turn. From injuries including; Datsyuk, Green, Dekeyser, Quincey, Franzen, Richards. How is that Blashill's fault????

All I am asking for is to just a smidge of perspective. Just a very little tiny bit of perspective, please.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The players clearly know Hiller's system. There is tape. Blashill is just making the very stupid decision to not continue using it. He just isn't a very competent coach. That much is pretty clear at this point.
Blashill isn't the PP coach? And I don't think putting together a working PP is as easy as looking at tape and replicating what you see. If it was, why wouldn't all teams just look at tape of the best PP in the league and do what they do?
Even trying to run the exact same PP as last year (by looking at tape and saying to the players "do what you did last year", since that's how easy NHL coaching is) may not work anywhere near as good since other teams have had time to scout and counter that setup.

I have zero confidence Blashill will correct the issue. I also don't see much improvement in terms of the system. They just aren't playing up to their potential. They put together a couple of good games against the Kings and Blues but beyond that they have been abysmal.
4-0-3 in their last 7. Could have easily been a 7 game winning streak. Winning the possession battle in almost every game lately.

Big turnaround in personnel in just a few years. Some of you need to take a look at what this roster looked like 3-4 years ago.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
You'd almost have a point, except for even Scotty Bowman, Dave Lewis and Barry Smith's powerplay had dramatic variance from year-to-year with nearly the same roster.

1996 was 21.32% (1st)

How can this be so? They had nearly the same roster AND the same coaches. Could it be more factors than just simply blaming "coaching"? At the end of the day, players need to take some responsibility. After all, they are only paid millions of dollars to play professional sports.

How is it "coaching" fault that Zetterberg looks like he's a shell of his former self (looking to be the next Dan Cleary) and that Datsyuk missed 15 games and has only played 9. How the hell is that Blashill's fault?

Blashill's NHL coaching career started with the deck stacked against him at every possible turn. From injuries including; Datsyuk, Green, Dekeyser, Quincey, Franzen, Richards. How is that Blashill's fault????

All I am asking for is to just a smidge of perspective. Just a very little tiny bit of perspective, please.

Ah wording is important. I said coaching has to be a factor. I didn't list other factors, like player execution, injuries and the like, like you rightfully listed. I agree with those points, but I still think coaching and changing the system is a reason partly, for the power play difference for certain. To what degree this is, we can only speculate.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Blashill isn't the PP coach? And I don't think putting together a working PP is as easy as looking at tape and replicating what you see. If it was, why wouldn't all teams just look at tape of the best PP in the league and do what they do?
Even trying to run the exact same PP as last year (by looking at tape and saying to the players "do what you did last year", since that's how easy NHL coaching is) may not work anywhere near as good since other teams have had time to scout and counter that setup.

4-0-3 in their last 7. Could have easily been a 7 game winning streak. Winning the possession battle in almost every game lately.

Big turnaround in personnel in just a few years. Some of you need to take a look at what this roster looked like 3-4 years ago.

I didn't know pavs dog could use a computer, must be talented like his old man. I like your posts but I disagree mostly with the comment about having time to adjust and figure out our old pp system. It wouldn't have taken all season to figure it out by other teams, the teams are pros at what they do and it wouldn't take so long for the whole year to finally figure out how to counter the pp. It was good because it player to our strengths, lessened our weaknesses.

Don't know why they walked away from it, we have an even better dman that we didn't have last year to play that spot.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

1996 was 21.32% (1st)

Zetterberg looking like the next Cleary, hahaha what a joke. Zetterberg is still our leading scorer. Nice to see you disrespect our captain and compare him to some scrub who couldn't even score 45 points at the NHL level. Zetterberg will have at least 45 assists this year alone and lead the team in scoring, again.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2012
I dont think this pp coach is as good as hiller

Jim Hiller ran a beautiful PP scheme. Plenty of movement with a miriad of varied, quick plays funneling the puck towards the net. They would retrieve the puck and quicklly try agai. The man in the middle of the ice was utilized so well and was crucial to the success, as we saw with Nyquist.

This year's PP is Z holding the puck for 15 seconds circling along the half-boards as the rest of the PP is stationary. Then finally we get a useless slapper from the point. They keep waiting for the perfect play and its hard to watch.

Just give the puck to Abby below the goal line and let him try something putting the puck towards the net. Or Z->Abby->Gus with a quick one touch pass. Next time that might open up a lane for Gus to get a touch in the middle. Really just keep changing it up and be quick!

You can blame the coach but Z has been so bad on the PP this year, he's way too casual and it allows the defense to get set and there's never much chaos. The puck shouldn't be on your stick on the PP for fmore than a few seconds and Z holds it for like 45 seconds each PP doing absolutely nothing.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Ah wording is important. I said coaching has to be a factor. I didn't list other factors, like player execution, injuries and the like, like you rightfully listed. I agree with those points, but I still think coaching and changing the system is a reason partly, for the power play difference for certain. To what degree this is, we can only speculate.

I'm sure the players are still adjusting to the new coaches. The PP coach might be god awful. But at this point it is hard to tell since the team isn't finishing.

I want the PP to be at 21%, but will gladly take 17% at this point... but I'm going to wait it out to see if they can put it together before pulling my hair out.

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Don't worry guys, our Wings are intelligent and they know what to improve. They've been winning games and most battles. They just need to score more. Just a few finishing touches. PP needs to be more active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad