Moose Season Discussion

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That will be up to him. There is definitely room in the top 6 for a smart and skilled playmaker. He juat needs to really get to work this summer and work on his skating. He comes to camp in great shape and quicker and he will figure things out as the year goes on.

I think this year with the Moose has probably accelerated his development. Under normal circumstances he would probably have needed the 2 years in the OHL. But now, I think he will have a real chance of making the Jets next year. As you say, it will be up to him and his off-season work. Looking very promising so far.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
If Cole keeps progressing, will not be shocked to see him in a game or 2 with the Jets, pending all playoff spots are wrapped up.

Reactions: Finster8

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It seems like a few posters already have Samberg and Heinola pencilled into the Jets starting 6 lineup for 21-22. I doubt Maurice would be thrilled by the idea of 2 rookie d-men, nor most coaches for that matter...especially when you consider we have a pretty green Stanley starting games this season.

I think it's likely only Heinola sticks with the Jets at the beginning of next season, with Samberg getting a cup of coffee in the bigs with an occasional start/call-up. Only way I see the him getting several games would be if the Jets defense is decimated by injuries.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It seems like a few posters already have Samberg and Heinola pencilled into the Jets starting 6 lineup for 21-22. I doubt Maurice would be thrilled by the idea of 2 rookie d-men, nor most coaches for that matter...especially when you consider we have a pretty green Stanley starting games this season.

I think it's likely only Heinola sticks with the Jets at the beginning of next season, with Samberg getting a cup of coffee in the bigs with an occasional start/call-up. Only way I see the him getting several games would be if the Jets defense is decimated by injuries.

While I think you're right (Samberg not starting with the jets next year, Heinola likely will), it sure would have been nice to see Samberg/Heinola getting some games earlier in the season to see where they're at. Realistically I think Heinola will get some games in the final stretch of the regular season this year. Ideally though, Samberg and Kovacevic would get a game or two in that stretch. For whatever reason, we didn't play any of these guys over the likes of Beaulieu when we had the opportunity and will now likely not see where they're at by season's end.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While I think you're right (Samberg not starting with the jets next year, Heinola likely will), it sure would have been nice to see Samberg/Heinola getting some games earlier in the season to see where they're at. Realistically I think Heinola will get some games in the final stretch of the regular season this year. Ideally though, Samberg and Kovacevic would get a game or two in that stretch. For whatever reason, we didn't play any of these guys over the likes of Beaulieu when we had the opportunity and will now likely not see where they're at by season's end.
If Stanley hadn't taken a big leap forward this season, I think Samberg would definitely be in the Jets' roster next season. I still think there's a good chance he does. I think the Jets are pleasantly surprised at Stanley's performance so far this year.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
So glad to see Cole starting to get some real good games under his belt. Huge Cole fan since his first year in Saginaw. You could tell he was something special. Now watching him mature into a top forward on the Moose and others get to see what I have for the last 3 years. He has some things to improve on but who doesn't? Not as many people screaming bust now. I see a future star in the making with some hard work and growing pains ahead. He is a top 6F all the way for the Jets. He will be the leading Manitoba in points by the end of the year.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So glad to see Cole starting to get some real good games under his belt. Huge Cole fan since his first year in Saginaw. You could tell he was something special. Now watching him mature into a top forward on the Moose and others get to see what I have for the last 3 years. He has some things to improve on but who doesn't? Not as many people screaming bust now. I see a future star in the making with some hard work and growing pains ahead. He is a top 6F all the way for the Jets. He will be the leading Manitoba in points by the end of the year.
There were people screaming bust?!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Lundell scoring at a point per game in Liiga... I'd still rather have him but Perfetti will be a good addition very soon.

IIRC it’s easier to score at PPG in Liga than in the AHL. Lundell is and will be good but especially if PLD sticks around I reckon we’re better off with Perfetti as a straw that stirs the drink.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba

Quite a few posters had those two pencilled into the 20-21 starting lineup as well :)

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
IIRC it’s easier to score at PPG in Liga than in the AHL. Lundell is and will be good but especially if PLD sticks around I reckon we’re better off with Perfetti as a straw that stirs the drink.
NHLe puts AHL as being slightly more difficult to score in. Lundell's NHLe is ~38 points over 82 games, Perfetti's is ~27. Different opportunities though, Lundell's been the first line center and go to guy while Perfetti has been anywhere from 2nd line winger to 4th line center. Also those NHLe numbers may be out of date.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
NHLe puts AHL as being slightly more difficult to score in. Lundell's NHLe is ~38 points over 82 games, Perfetti's is ~27. Different opportunities though, Lundell's been the first line center and go to guy while Perfetti has been anywhere from 2nd line winger to 4th line center. Also those NHLe numbers may be out of date.
I guess that was my point with Lundell... he's almost NHL ready. The knock against him was that he can't score - i.e would end up as another Copp - but he seems to be scoring. That being said, we don't really need a 2C anymore and Perfetti will be a great set up man with Ehlers or Connor.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I guess that was my point with Lundell... he's almost NHL ready. The knock against him was that he can't score - i.e would end up as another Copp - but he seems to be scoring. That being said, we don't really need a 2C anymore and Perfetti will be a great set up man with Ehlers or Connor.
That knock never made a lick of sense to me. He's always scored very well against his peers. I wanted Lundell as well until Perfetti fell to us but regardless of who has the better career I'm never going to look back and think we made the wrong choice. It was right at the time, but you can never know how the players will develop after being drafted.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Reading some descriptions of Lundell, there is a lot of similarity between him and Perfetti. Both 2 way centres with very hi HIQ. Both good playmakers and line drivers. Lundell seems more mature to me, more NHL ready. Lundell is bigger, stronger and skates better. Which one turns out better in the end is unknowable at this point.

I would have been quite happy if we had taken Lundell, even more so watching the WJC. If we hadn't gotten PLD I think there is a very good chance Lundell would have won the 2C job in TC next year when Stastny was gone.

That said, I am also very happy to have gotten Perfetti but I don't think we lose with either one.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Reading some descriptions of Lundell, there is a lot of similarity between him and Perfetti. Both 2 way centres with very hi HIQ. Both good playmakers and line drivers. Lundell seems more mature to me, more NHL ready. Lundell is bigger, stronger and skates better. Which one turns out better in the end is unknowable at this point.

I would have been quite happy if we had taken Lundell, even more so watching the WJC. If we hadn't gotten PLD I think there is a very good chance Lundell would have won the 2C job in TC next year when Stastny was gone.

That said, I am also very happy to have gotten Perfetti but I don't think we lose with either one.
Based on your description lundell is the obvious prediction. Bigger, faster, just as two way just as smart. Just as good at driving a line, at playmaking. What does perfetti have over lundell?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

There weren't that many similarities at the time of the draft. Perfetti was seen as an offensive dynamo that was likely projected by many to be a scoring winger. Lundell was seen as a safe defensive first center with questionable offe sive upside.

Since then Lundell has upped his offensive game and Perfetti has likely shocked a number of scouts with how seamless he has converted to center at the pro level and just how responsible he has been in his end.

In my mind Perfetti has a significantly higher ceiling. He is the more skilled player in pretty much every offensive facet. The fact that he's also an elite play driver and competent defensively given where he is in his physical development is another feather in his cap.

He is an equal skater to Lundell in terms of straight line speed but is more agile and slippery skater with the puck. Where he trails Lundell is in the strength and size department (Two areas where I put little long term stock in)

Lundell obviously could turn out better but the Jets went for high end upside and I will always go for that over a safer .ore ready player.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Based on your description lundell is the obvious prediction. Bigger, faster, just as two way just as smart. Just as good at driving a line, at playmaking. What does perfetti have over lundell?
Brayden Point vs Patrice Bergeron...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad