Post-Game Talk: Monty has his Markstrom game: 2-1 Isles in a shootout

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Did I say anything about Bob? And if Monty doesn't play awesome when Luongo crashes, we're screwed.

You trust in Monty this much and don't want to sign Bob, that's fine. But a tandem of 40 year old Luongo and Monty is crazy risky. This last three years, Luongo has played 40, 35 and 43* games - so the best case scenario, you get 40 games out out him, but what if his decline continues and he can only handle 20-30 games? Are we really willing to bet next year on the possibility that Monty's ready to be a full-blown starter with just 11 NHL games under his belt?

*Including the last game of the season where he's supposed to start.

No, you didn't mention Bob but since the majority of the posts mention him I assumed. Apologies if it was taken wrong.

If not Bob, then who? Who would we sign for a 2/3 year stopgap?

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
No, you didn't mention Bob but since the majority of the posts mention him I assumed. Apologies if it was taken wrong.

If not Bob, then who? Who would we sign for a 2/3 year stopgap?

Just keep Optimus Reim

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
giphy.gif

Just keep Optimus Reim

Reactions: StrangeVision

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
And why would Bob start declining at 33? We have a dinosaur whos 40 in net atm. Goalies can easily have their best years mid thirties and certainly we shouldnt be expecting a decline beforw that.

Maybe he will suck the last couple of years of the deal but then you can buy him out or trade him etc. But the focus really should be to be good now.
It’s mostly a gut feel, but partly it’s due to his inconsistent play even this season until he had a reason to perform. And that reason quite possibly was a lot less about his team making the playoffs than it was about making his value go up.

So if he gets an expensive 7 year deal, and he’s a high maintenance individual who needs constant reasoning and motivating to get him to want to play well, then it could go any which way.

I see him as enough of a primadonna that the later years worry me. That’s about it. I don’t doubt his ability. I doubt his desire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad