Post-Game Talk: Montreal's 4th Line Gives Leafs #4 overall (for now) 4-0 Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I don't understand why HNIC has to keep talking about how little respect Dion gets in the league. They talked about it when the ref wouldn't talk to him after his unsportsmanlike penalty saying that any other captain in the league would have got to talk to the ref, when in reality if Getzlaf was saying F U to a ref over and over they probably wouldn't get to speak to the ref either!

Or saying Weise will continue to take runs at Dion in a 4-0 game because thats how much respect he gets. If the leafs were winning they would be singing a different tune thats for sure. This is the whole media thing creating negative energy for the organization, and until that changes it doesn't matter if we get Mcdavid or Crosby, the media will find a way to complain or cause a commotion over nothing.

The broadcasts always paint the picture the same way.

If you are winning the game you are continuously praised. Pretty much over and over all game with replay after repay. And if you are losing, it's the complete opposite. And it just sucks to watch.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
god bless you Montreal

Hopefully Habs can win the cup this year, will be bandwagon fanning them in playoffs

profile_picture_by_upndisgustingplz-d5plrni.jpg

Durkin67

Ive always been a Lupul guy. I like his ability to take a game over when he puts his mind to it. Inury history notwithstanding, he's a presence you want in the dressing room, a mature voice keeping the kids in line when it is necessary.

Watching him loafing on the back check on the first goal made me realise he just doesn't care. When the drop pass came and Lupul was two strides behind, he was exposed in my eyes.

We don't need that kind of message being sent to the young guys. At least try to get back and be in position to apply some back pressure.

this team needs a heart transplant.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Don Cherry was right when he said the habs weren't laughing when they played us two years ago. Adding Orr or McLaren or Devane now would only raise their game though grapes. I don't want the good ole character guys with these guys. Let them take it like the wussies they are.

Orr could beat that whole team one after the other for three periods and not even get mad lol.

I do kinda miss the 2013 leafs, they just smashed everyone it was entertaining at least

Durkin67

I do kinda miss the 2013 leafs, they just smashed everyone it was entertaining at least

Nah...staring at spreadsheets and stats reports is far more entertaining than that... sarcasm implied, for those unsure.

wait, here's an emoji:

:sarcasm:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Why are people expecting a rebuilding team to be good? Makes no sense to me... Winnik, Franson, and Santorelli we're some of the best guys on the team; They're gone. This team is worst than it am was 3 weeks ago so its safe to say wins will be few and far between.

suprez

Mar 1, 2008
Laval
Without Price the Habs are us.

No. The habs is an average team(That work really hard) with an outstanding goalie. The leaf just suck. Carey might carry the team quite a bit, but one player is not enough to be ranked first in the conference.

Although now I'm pretty sure the habs lost the final last years because Price was injured.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
The Leafs were very unlucky tonight. Montreal took the foot off the pedal early in the game after securing a lead. And the Leafs were unable to manage just one goal despite winning the possession game.

In just one game the Leafs' Corsi rate jumped from -6.73/60 mins 5v5 to -6.26.

But I bet if Montreal didn't take the early lead, Toronto would probably lose in the possession game. It's normal for teams to see their Corsi go down when they defend a lead (especially a 2+ goal lead) and for Corsi to go up when you are trailing (especially by 2+ goals). Olli Jokinen went from a -8.39 Corsi/60 rate (in 4 GP) with the Leafs to +1.68/60 (in 5 GP) with just one game. lol. I know that Olli has a small sample size but that's still a shocker.

It's worth noting that Montreal's possession play sucks in general but they have the best 5v5 save percentage in the league thanks to Carey Price. Montreal would probably be out of the playoffs without Carey Price.

Jonthan Bernier seems to be coming back down to earth this season. But I would be hesitant to invest in another goalie. Save percentage is a very volatile statistic. There was that season where Carey Price had a .905 save percentage or something like that. But I think it's safe to say that Carey Price is for real because he's had many seasons now where he posted great numbers. Jonathan Bernier doesn't have that kind of sample size of greatness.

At any rate, I don't think Jonathan Bernier has earned himself a nice raise yet when his contract is up. Since Bernier is still a RFA this summer, I would give Bernier a low-ball 1 year contract offer (he make take it to arbitration. But if they award him a hefty contract, at least the Leafs only have him for a year). And he'll be free to negotiate with whoever he wants in summer 2016 as a UFA. There's no way that Bernier is going to sign a cheap multi-year deal. Like Franson, I think he'd rather take the 1 year deal and try free agency if the Leafs don't give him a nice long-term deal.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Ah Corsi. The ultimate predictor of performance... except when it isn't.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
A characteristic of the Habs is that they're playing down or up to their opposents. They will look like a too contender against the Blues or the Wings, but they will do just enough to win against the Leafs. They might not look like contenders to you but they are. They know how to elevate their game when it's important.

Last edited:

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Why are people expecting a rebuilding team to be good? Makes no sense to me... Winnik, Franson, and Santorelli we're some of the best guys on the team; They're gone. This team is worst than it am was 3 weeks ago so its safe to say wins will be few and far between.

I don't think people expect the team to be good. I think most get upset with the lack of effort and the fact half the players just don't care.

Adding to not caring I have noticed that some fans don't seem to care anymore. The post game threads are usually only 5 pages now and game day ones aren't any where near as long anymore.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

They had the ohhhhhh factor. I would be watching be going ohhhhhhh lol. They had the here we go factor too. Yeah they were intimidating for other teams. People don't acknowledge or refuse to acknowledge that they weren't on the ice for many goals against either.

Other teams defenses go retrieve pucks in their corners like its a walk in the park against these softies that are called a Leaf team. They are a joke. They were looking over their shoulder two years ago.

Another thing I think needs to be said: Mark Fraser is better than ***** Polak and that's all I have to say.

HabsChik*

Two things that I hated during the game.

1) Glenn Healy referring to the Leafs as the Marlies, even though Toronto had been out shooting Montreal when he made that and it was all Carey Price why they were winning.

2) The refs not waiving off the 3rd Montreal goal when Brendan Gallagher pushes Bernier into the net with his stick. It looked just like what Malkin did last season.

Yes Montreal is all Carey Price.

And we give back goal 3 ok ?

3-0

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
A characteristic of the Habs is that they're playing down or up to their opposents. They will look like a too contender against the Blues or the Wings, but they will do just enough to win against the Leafs. They might not look like contenders to you but they are. They know how to elevate their game when it's important.

You mean Price elevates his game when it's important.

Shwaguy*

Yeah, we're a one player team, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher, DeLaRose , Markov, Beaulieu are all scrubs. Finishing at the top of the standings the past 3 years was all luck.

They're good but if you compare your core to the rest of the top teams core's you'd see that it's lacking relative to the league's Elite. Kudos to Price though Hockey is a team game and Goalie is part of the team.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
They're good but if you compare your core to the rest of the top teams core's you'd see that it's lacking relative to the league's Elite. Kudos to Price though Hockey is a team game and Goalie is part of the team.

Our top 3 (Price, Subban, Pacioretty) are among tops in the league in their respective positions. Our young, up and coming core (Galchenyuk, Gallagher, De La Rose etc) are pieces ANY team would love to have and are contributing to our success. A guy like Plekanec is very underrated in his 2 way game. We are where we are because we have a good, young core and complementary players who play a team game, a 200 ft game & are committed to the system. Price is a big piece of the team but he can't score goals, he does his job and the rest of the team do theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad