Proposal: Montreal - Ottawa

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Theoretically, it's probably fair. Realistically, Ottawa isn't going to pay Byron $4 million next year unless value coming with him was incredible, not just fair.
If we were to flip Armia, we'd be taking on about 6.5m for the next 2.5 yrs, while gaining at least one top 60 pick. I dunno, maybe we add Coburn or Gudbranson and a mid-round pick to clear some of the salary... but I really think this is an easy yes for us. Byron would play regularly for us for at least 1 more year.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If we were to flip Armia, we'd be taking on about 6.5m for the next 2.5 yrs, while gaining at least one top 60 pick. I dunno, maybe we add Coburn or Gudbranson and a mid-round pick to clear some of the salary... but I really think this is an easy yes for us. Byron would play regularly for us for at least 1 more year.
It is mathematically logical for us to do it, but we know that Euge isn't spending 6m for a second round pick. We've always been the team to trade our picks for money, we do not trade our money for picks.

If he wasn't willing to buy out one year of Marleau for a first round pick, I'm going to assume he's never going to do something like this.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It is mathematically logical for us to do it, but we know that Euge isn't spending 6m for a second round pick. We've always been the team to trade our picks for money, we do not trade our money for picks.

If he wasn't willing to buy out one year of Marleau for a first round pick, I'm going to assume he's never going to do something like this.
You're operating under a few false premises: 1) that we could have had Marleau for a 1st round pick. 2) That Byron doesn't bring value 3) That we havent brought in similar players making similar money.

Sens will not hit the cap floor simply by re-signing guys.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Technically it's Byron for a 2nd and whatever Armia returns.

Could be a 2nd and another 2nd, or likely a 3rd and a later round pick

Armia doesn't have that kind of value. His stats are close to Dzingel his value is maybe a mid-late round more if that.

I'd take Dzingel over him anyday.

Reactions: SensFactor

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Armia doesn't have that kind of value. His stats are close to Dzingel his value is maybe a mid-late round more if that.

I'd take Dzingel over him anyday.
Two different styles. Armias play is more suited for the playoffs. Which could make it easier for the Sens to flip.

He produces similar stats but you don't mention he is miles ahead of him in the defensive aspect of the game. Can PK. Plus have you seen Armias board and corner play. He is solid thete too. He does all that while putting up the same production as dzingel. Dzingel is an offensive guy. I mean any player can technically play defense but to be good at it is two different things.

Armias value for production / defense / PKing / board work / and size 6'4 would make him more desirable for any playoff team that the Sens can flip too.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
You're operating under a few false premises: 1) that we could have had Marleau for a 1st round pick. 2) That Byron doesn't bring value 3) That we havent brought in similar players making similar money.

Sens will not hit the cap floor simply by re-signing guys.
Bryon doesn't bring 4 million dollars of value, that's part of why there's negative value in the contract.

It's possible that we would have never been offered a 1st for Marleau, but it wouldn't have been significantly less. It's not like Dubas has interest in overpaying for the Marleau buyout.

We're about 17 million away from the cap floor, we still need to sign Brady and Batherson (which would still only give us 10 forwards), we only have 3 dmen signed, and one goalie. I also wouldn't be surprised if we made a trade for a player that can be on LTIR or who has a salary significantly less than the cap. We're really not far from the floor.

Reactions: SensFactor

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Two different styles. Armias play is more suited for the playoffs. Which could make it easier for the Sens to flip.

He produces similar stats but you don't mention he is miles ahead of him in the defensive aspect of the game. Can PK. Plus have you seen Armias board and corner play. He is solid thete too. He does all that while putting up the same production as dzingel. Dzingel is an offensive guy. I mean any player can technically play defense but to be good at it is two different things.

Armias value for production / defense / PKing / board work / and size 6'4 would make him more desirable for any playoff team that the Sens can flip too.

Intangibles two way player are great if you can be a top 9 center. Bottom six winger at 2.6 million? In years past maybe I'd have that discussion but not in this cap world. I'm sure he can get something, but all these assets aren't worth a) what Dzingel can bring b) Having to pay Byron for an extended amount of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad