Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Please no Laine. He would be the Habs version of Matthews. Potent scorer that doesn't elevate his teammates and will probably disappear in the playoffs.
Even if he's not a guy you win with, having a potent scorer can be very helpful to other players development. It's hard to gain confidence as an offensive playmaker when you are feeding guys like Anderson or Gallagher who can't score.

Laine wouldn't be my first choice of players to target, but depending on the price point I would entertain the idea.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Please no Laine. He would be the Habs version of Matthews. Potent scorer that doesn't elevate his teammates and will probably disappear in the playoffs.
Hed be secondary scoring here. Not the superstar that need to drive the team. Having a 40 goals scorer on each line would be good. Laine is like 6'4, and him Dach + whoever we draft this year on a 2nd line is sexy.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I doubt we will see any major UFA signings this offseason. Maybe a veteran for physical presence/toughness in our bottom six, but that's all I can really imagine.

I think Hughes will wait through this next year to see how his forwards mesh and how his defencemen develop, and next year in the offseason he'll make a splash to fill a couple of gaps. Dvorak, Armia and Savard will all be off the books by then.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and cphabs

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
To be fair, i don't think Laine played many playoffs games but i could be wrong. The other thing is he wouldn't come here to be our best player and leader, like Matthews is in Toronto. He would just need need to follow the lead of Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I doubt we will see any major UFA signings this offseason. Maybe a veteran for physical presence/toughness in our bottom six, but that's all I can really imagine.

I think Hughes will wait through this next year to see how his forwards mesh and how his defencemen develop, and next year in the offseason he'll make a splash to fill a couple of gaps. Dvorak, Armia and Savard will all be off the books by then.
Not sure we will sign one major UFA anyway. IF Hugues pulls another Dach/Newhook trade this summer and we draft one of the top forwards in the draft, our top 6/top 9 will probably be set.

Though i would definitely sign a UFA or make a major trade for a solid top 4 RHD.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
i would like someone like Chandler Stephenson. We need someone who can play the wing with Dach and someone to replace Dach for that inevitable injury. Get somebody versatile

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
My personal feeling about this team is that they could actually make the playoffs next year if they add 2 top-6 forwards and a veteran RHD.

I think Hughes finds a way to dump Anderson even if he has to suck it up and not get the King's ransom he was demanding for him a couple seasons ago. Anderson just isn't a fit for MSL, and Habs just doubled down on MSL.

Harris is the only one we should really be looking to trade this summer. Guhle, Matheson, Xhekaj, Struble and will need to make room for Hutson by the halfway point of the season. I see Harris being traded and Struble probably getting some AHL time next year. I'm a Barron hater but I like the idea of keeping him as a 7D next year when the team needs to add a bit of offense. We'll also need to add a veteran RHD if we want to keep Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL to start the year, ideally someone who is better than Kovacevic.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
XXX-Dach-XXX
Newhook-Dvorak-Roy
Gallagher-Evans-Armia
RHP/Pez

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-RHD
Xhekaj-Kovacevic

I also don't see the harm in us adding short term solutions in the top-6 and at RD. We don't really have any true top-6 forward prospects, aside from Roy, and Savard and Kovacevic are very tradable. Hopefully we get a legit top-6 W in this draft and and some combination of Newhook, Roy, and 5oa become Dach's permanent wingers when the time is ready. We've done a good job accumulating draft picks and drafting for NHL depth that the cost to add these players shouldn't impact our future capital too much.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Undersized goalie. Played well for London, he got hurt in his last year of eligibility in the O and it pretty much ended their run that year.

He put up good numbers in the ECHL.

I would sign him and put him in 3R.

I don't think Kasimir Kaskisuo has any deal with Laval next year, so sign another vet for A and if it's only a game here and there that NHL goalies miss, bring that goalie up to sit on the bench

The year after Volokhin likely won't be over. Fowler could likely use another year in college.

So, 2024-25 season

NHL
Montembeault
Primeau

AHL
Dobes
Vet.

ECHL
Brochu
Whomever.

2025-26

NHL
Montembeault/Primeau
Dobes

AHL:
Brochu
Vet

ECHL
Quentin Miller
Whomever.

By this point if Brochu has shown some progress can use him in a trade as a sweetener.

Again, he's a long shot as a smaller goalie, but he seems to be a battler

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
My personal feeling about this team is that they could actually make the playoffs next year if they add 2 top-6 forwards and a veteran RHD.

I think Hughes finds a way to dump Anderson even if he has to suck it up and not get the King's ransom he was demanding for him a couple seasons ago. Anderson just isn't a fit for MSL, and Habs just doubled down on MSL.

Harris is the only one we should really be looking to trade this summer. Guhle, Matheson, Xhekaj, Struble and will need to make room for Hutson by the halfway point of the season. I see Harris being traded and Struble probably getting some AHL time next year. I'm a Barron hater but I like the idea of keeping him as a 7D next year when the team needs to add a bit of offense. We'll also need to add a veteran RHD if we want to keep Mailloux and Reinbacher in the AHL to start the year, ideally someone who is better than Kovacevic.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
XXX-Dach-XXX
Newhook-Dvorak-Roy
Gallagher-Evans-Armia
RHP/Pez

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-RHD
Xhekaj-Kovacevic

I also don't see the harm in us adding short term solutions in the top-6 and at RD. We don't really have any true top-6 forward prospects, aside from Roy, and Savard and Kovacevic are very tradable. Hopefully we get a legit top-6 W in this draft and and some combination of Newhook, Roy, and 5oa become Dach's permanent wingers when the time is ready. We've done a good job accumulating draft picks and drafting for NHL depth that the cost to add these players shouldn't impact our future capital too much.
i'm pretty sure 1, if not 2 of Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux will make the team next season. HuGo will want to maximize Savard's presence on the team. And unfortunately, i think Guhle will play RHD as long as Matheson is on the team.

Next season imo :

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Struble--Kovacevic

Harris-Barron traded.

Reactions: Scriptor

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021

Undersized goalie. Played well for London, he got hurt in his last year of eligibility in the O and it pretty much ended their run that year.

He put up good numbers in the ECHL.

I would sign him and put him in 3R.

I don't think Kasimir Kaskisuo has any deal with Laval next year, so sign another vet for A and if it's only a game here and there that NHL goalies miss, bring that goalie up to sit on the bench

The year after Volokhin likely won't be over. Fowler could likely use another year in college.

So, 2024-25 season

NHL
Montembeault
Primeau

AHL
Dobes
Vet.

ECHL
Brochu
Whomever.

2025-26

NHL
Montembeault/Primeau
Dobes

AHL:
Brochu
Vet

ECHL
Quentin Miller
Whomever.

By this point if Brochu has shown some progress can use him in a trade as a sweetener.

Again, he's a long shot as a smaller goalie, but he seems to be a battler
If you are getting a veteran to challenge Primeau and if he does not win the battle he would be a great veteran in Laval is Chris Driedger had a great year in AHL and has a .917% save percentage in the NHL.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If you are getting a veteran to challenge Primeau and if he does not win the battle he would be a great veteran in Laval is Chris Driedger had a great year in AHL and has a .917% save percentage in the NHL.
More a vet not so much to challenge Primeau, but to be help to further support Dobes in the A, but also if Primeau/Monty are off for a week and there's no back-to-backs, have that vet go up and sit there while Dobes still plays in the A

rabbit4949

Apr 1, 2013
46,56,55,18 Gp for laine in the last 4 years. 12,26,22,6 Goals for laine in the last 4 years. I am not saying don't get him. I am saying temper your expectations. Could he rebound? Of course he could. I know that some will say that in limited action he still outscored anderson. Just be careful what you wish for.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Top 6 forward and top 4 D. If KH is able to add that, I really believe the roster assuming we are healthy most of next season will be strong enough to compete for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
i would like someone like Chandler Stephenson. We need someone who can play the wing with Dach and someone to replace Dach for that inevitable injury. Get somebody versatile
If he leaves Vegas, I suspect he's going to chase the biggest payday possible... With the cap going up and the few top 6 C ufas available, he could be in for a massive payday. Not a player I would break the bank for

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
46,56,55,18 Gp for laine in the last 4 years. 12,26,22,6 Goals for laine in the last 4 years. I am not saying don't get him. I am saying temper your expectations. Could he rebound? Of course he could. I know that some will say that in limited action he still outscored anderson. Just be careful what you wish for.
Thats why he could be available for a mid Price. Its a 2 year gamble. We have not young forward that is pushing.
There’s a risk.

Reactions: Shred

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Laine’s value is at an all-time low, that said he only has 2 more years in his contract and he’s still relatively young, so not an anchor at all. However, I see CLB a year or 2 behind MTL in terms rebuild/competing for a PO spot so they may see Laine “outside” their core given his age/contract situation. Also, given his off-ice issues they may feel that a new spot is better for him.

All this to say that if I’m CLB I would want a draft pick and a prospect for Laine. The prospect and pick all depends on how much faith the team trading for Laine has. If I’m MTL, I would give the Jet’s 1st plus Mesar.

This may seem like a lot but i could see Laine rebounding really well with the Habs. He would either have Suzuki or Dach feeding him the puck. His linemates would be any of the following two Suzuki/Caufield/Slaf/Dach/Newhook which is a whole lot better than anything CLB has to offer other than Gaudreau (who’s a winger). Also, the Habs are not getting into 5+ year affair, just 2. So if he doesn't pan out then you're saddled-bagged with multiple years.
We’ve had success with enigmatic talented players in Montreal over the years. The intensity of this market can solve motivation issues. Kovalev, Radulov are examples - I’m sure there are others.

Snake and Mathias entertained this idea as well in a recent podcast and they landed around that price as well: late first rounder + B prospect.

Home-run swing for sure but Hugo has shown they are all for that and he could be the best buy-low, swing for fences target this summer. I can’t think of many other names who fit this potential offensive star profile and could be available reasonably cheap.

Don’t think we will add anyone that doesn’t perfectly complement our core like Dach, Newhook unless it is a star player, like New York did for Panarin. Gorton alluded to as much. Backfired for Columbus with Gaudreau though.

Who could be a partner to take Price contract after he received his bonus?
One stone two birds in a Laine deal? I don’t usually indulge in wild speculation but I can see how people get into that now…

Reactions: Zorro

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
I like the idea of Laine, but only if he's cheap because we're inheriting the risk for the next 2 years.

I'd probably only be willing to part with the Winnipeg 1st and that's it, if CLB wants more they can keep him, he hasn't been a full time player in a long time.

Even at his prime he's a player with warts but I'm down to take a risk if it doesn't cost many assets.

Reactions: Shred

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
New GM cleaning house? “Worked” for Chicago.
John Davidson is still there, oversaw the Gaudreau signing, and will be picking the new GM.

Laine was acquired a few months before JD joined CBJ, combined w Laine perhaps wanting out could lead to a trade but highly doubt CBJ will clean house & rebuild

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We’ve had success with enigmatic talented players in Montreal over the years. The intensity of this market can solve motivation issues. Kovalev, Radulov are examples - I’m sure there are others.

Snake and Mathias entertained this idea as well in a recent podcast and they landed around that price as well: late first rounder + B prospect.

Home-run swing for sure but Hugo has shown they are all for that and he could be the best buy-low, swing for fences target this summer. I can’t think of many other names who fit this potential offensive star profile and could be available reasonably cheap.

Don’t think we will add anyone that doesn’t perfectly complement our core like Dach, Newhook unless it is a star player, like New York did for Panarin. Gorton alluded to as much. Backfired for Columbus with Gaudreau though.

One stone two birds in a Laine deal? I don’t usually indulge in wild speculation but I can see how people get into that now…
That’s why Stamkos on a short term deal is the highest probability “big name” / UFA acquisition IMO - 100% driven by MSL relationship factor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad