Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The amount is not as important as the term. Older guys need very short term. Especially forwards.

Would I take Crosby on a year-to-year basis like Lidstrom did with Detroit? Yes, but I doubt he wants that, and no way we should give Crosby 4 years for example.

Stamkos, max two years. Same with Marchessault.
It takes two to tango.

While we may not willing to offer more than a two year deal for Stamkos, etc. other teams, closer to being a contender would be willing to swallow those extra years.

At our stage of the re-build, the players that would be willing to accept a limited term, would have marginal impact on team’s success.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
After having to endure the mistake of signing Gallagher to a grotesque long term contract you would think that most Montreal fans would be adverse to signing any player on the downside of his career.
You offer a 4 yr deal max at a reasonable caphit such as 6 M/yr. If he doesn't bite, than you stop pursuing him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You offer a 4 yr deal max at a reasonable caphit such as 6 M/yr. If he doesn't bite, than you stop pursuing him.
That’s too rich for me. I’m not offering 4 years to any smallish player on the cusp of a decline.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Except for potentially Monahan I don't see us signing anybody nor we should.

Barring a devastating injury, I think monahan will have his fair share of options moving forward.

The fact that he played 83 games this year is going to make GMs more comfortable to invest in him.

I don't see Montreal as a viable destination. He's likely looking for a direct ticket to a contender at this stage of his career, and most teams are ahead of montreal in that respect right now.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i know how much cap space we have.... I'm talking about strength of roster in relation to other top teams

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No interest in Heinen or Amadio. Zadina is worth a look at the right price.
Why Not?
We don't need a big strong left winger being paid less than a Million Dollars who is good enough to play 1st line minutes with Pasta and Zacha.
28 year old winger Great Skater Super Responsible Pain in the Ass to play against
Of course you don't want him. :huh:

Jul 6, 2016
Reasons other than him being a terrible fit for what we need going forward? Just state your bias and move on. Assuming he is going to age like a vampire is ridiculous.
What about YOUR bias ?

Terrible fit ? Who can score over 40 goals on that Habs team in a near future ?

Reactions: zx81

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Why Not?
We don't need a big strong left winger being paid less than a Million Dollars who is good enough to play 1st line minutes with Pasta and Zacha.
28 year old winger Great Skater Super Responsible Pain in the Ass to play against
Of course you don't want him. :huh:
He is not good enough for a 1st line. 36 points. He might be useful on a 3rd line.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Marchesseault is like Pavelski in Dallas. These guys are aging very well and keeps producing. Find better reasons to NOT sign Marchesseault.
He has only produced big a couple of years. Pavelski is a one off. Very few players are that good at 40. There is no way to know when Marchessault will start to fade. Habs do not need 34 yr old players long term - 2 years at most.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
But 2-years buys time for this years 1st rounder to become NHL ready - be it Demidov, Eiserman etc

This summers UFA signing IMO should be viewed as:

- boosting Dach & Newhook w veteran presence to push their limits & in turn generating additional team offense to support Suzuki line

AND

- being a transitionary 2-year move for this years pick to cultivate & become NHL ready

But he won't sign 2 years. It will likely be his last contract, he would be a fool to sign 2 years.

Also he would be part of the team, he won't be just a place holder. lol It's not sure how and when the rest will be ready.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
No way would I add marchessault. He's the type of player you add right when we're looking to go for the cup. We're trying to approach playoff contention next year. Marchessault will be obsolete and locking up a spot by the time we really need to perform. Small, old, just getting off a career UFA year goals wise while playing on a stanley cup contending roster? No way. Recipe for disaster given what his asks will be.

Well if we will be close to a playoff spot, imagine going in there with him in the playoffs. Not to mention his seize really does not matter if you have watched him play. He's a pitbull and he pretty much gave Eichel balls when they put them together.

I'm not saying signing him for a gazillion times. 4 years is fine. He would help us for 2 years to make us become a playoff-ready team and then help us two more years to help us become a contender adding offensive depth.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well if we will be close to a playoff spot, imagine going in there with him in the playoffs. Not to mention his seize really does not matter if you have watched him play. He's a pitbull and he pretty much gave Eichel balls when they put them together.

I'm not saying signing him for a gazillion times. 4 years is fine. He would help us for 2 years to make us become a playoff-ready team and then help us two more years to help us become a contender adding offensive depth.
He's 33.
Career best pts & goals (42).
Cap is going up considerably.

He's in line for a massive offer as a UFA, and a perfect candidate for a gross UFA overpayment.

Hard pass unless he's willingly taking a discount to finish off his career close to home/in Quebec & be a part of our rise back into contention.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's not about money, it's about chairs. We have a lot of young players who need serious auditions in the next few years and it would be a damned shame if they were blocked by useless placeholders like Anderson and Dvorak.
Neither Farrell nor Heineman is really ready for prime time yet. Beck asnd Mesar need seasoning for sure. Kapanen probably does not jake the team in October but hopefully shines in the SEL and emerges ready.

There is probably room for Roy next year no matter what, if he has a good camp.

I have no doubt that next year is Anderson's last chance to show he merits a spot on the NHL squad.

So sign him for two years at most and see after that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That's what has basically become of UFA signings. Players always have the power. There's always those two years that stings but that's to ensure that you get the player.

That being said, I think he will be good more than just two years.
I'm generally a "gather up talent" guy, but I'm not on board with a 4-year contract for a 33 year old forward coming off a career season.

Jonathan has averaged 30 goals and 56 points per year for the last 8 years. Is he willing to be paid for that level? If so, max 3 years at $6.5M. No more than two years for a higher AAV, and he would not even be my first UFA to go after. I'd prefer someone around 28-30 years old for a 3-year contract.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Plus Monahan can play wing if/when Beck and/or Kapanen emerge as top 9 NHL C's. I like Newhook as the 3c for now. But like you said, if there is an injury it sets the team back big time unless you have someone like Monahan to step in.
Monahan will not sign just for 3 years!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Monahan will not sign just for 3 years!

It depends on what his alternatives are. Is another team willing to give him longer term, given his injury history? I think so. But it's no Slam dunk.
I'd be willing to go higher cap hit to get him at a lower term. 6M AAV, 3 years.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
DeBrusk be guy I go after. Marchessault gives experience and a ring with 40 goals. All valuable assets. He's good add also. But DeBrusk has history of playing well under pressure. He adds size, 40 goals, still in prime. Even if I have to pay a million or two more than any other team.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

This is where the leverage game kicks in, the large US markets are capped out except Chi. Does Marchessault really want to end up in Utah w a young family?

David Savard said himself he had better offers elsewhere, $ & term, but chose Mtl for family reasons.

Call the bluff…..

BTW - after 2-year deal Marchessault then becomes eligible for 35 & over bonus contracts - as Lidstrom did for last 3-years of his career can sign 1-year deals with bonuses which won’t count vs cap

Reactions: Miller Time

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Re: the older star veterans who likely won't want a short term deal. We have the cap space, maybe we could just overpay on the AAV to keep the term down to 2 years - maybe even 1 year.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This is where the leverage game kicks in, the large US markets are capped out except Chi. Does Marchessault really want to end up in Utah w a young family?

David Savard said himself he had better offers elsewhere, $ & term, but chose Mtl for family reasons.

Call the bluff…..

BTW - after 2-year deal Marchessault then becomes eligible for 35 & over bonus contracts - as Lidstrom did for last 3-years of his career can sign 1-year deals with bonuses which won’t count vs cap

Marchessault has been in southern states for years and guy drives flashy sports cars. I can't see him signing in Montreal. And I can't see management targeting him after the press conference they had.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
My angle on the matter is that we cant aquire quantity. The roll the kids

My trade I would try to do is for Patrick Laine (26, 8.7 X 2)

Anderson - Harris - Beck /+ WIN 1st would be my intial bid
(low but i dont think Laine has a fit in CLB)

CLB having RFAs Johnson Texier Marchenko Sillinger Chinakov Nylander Bean to resign and only 9.6 + cap raise to do so.
Use Roy high until 1st is ready then replace Gallagher

Caufield Suzuki Slafkovski
Laine Dach Roy
Gallagher Newhook Armia
RHP Evans Dvorak
Pezz

Reactions: SnapVirus

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
DeBrusk be guy I go after. Marchessault gives experience and a ring with 40 goals. All valuable assets. He's good add also. But DeBrusk has history of playing well under pressure. He adds size, 40 goals, still in prime. Even if I have to pay a million or two more than any other team.
DeBrusk is a 40 pointer. Not giving him a raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad