Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Stamkos is the only one that makes sense + meeting criteria set by Gorton “a great UFA out there” + MSL factor to potentially help lure
Nope a 34 year old who scores 81 points and is a minus 21 on a very good team is not a great UFA.
A great UFA is one on their first wave of free agency in Stamkos' case that was his last contract in 2016/17.
How much production loss will Stamkos have on our team because there will be some.
How much production will be taken away from Cole Caufield on PP 1 as the left side one timer?
We need to open the bank for a player who's contract will end as they turn 35 not when they reach 35.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Finally Alzner off the books.
Edmunston also.
Wideman Ret.
Pearson and White not signed.

We only have 2 RFAs to sigh on the NHL level and a few in the AHL.

I dont see the team going after a big UFA this summer.

Or trading yet. Im thinking, depending on the position, big movements at TDL.

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
I wouldn't mind trying to get Samuel Poulin out of Pittsburgh. Even if he doesn't make Montreal, he's a good add for Laval. He'd bring size & scoring. He could very well make Montreal's 4th line next years. I always liked him. He's had some hardship.

Pens definitely need D.

4th line definitely needs improvement. Pezz & Ylonen are not it.
He would fit as a potential bottom 6er. Should be cheap at this stage. Let’s hope he’s not going to be a waste of space like Perreault. Would appease the French crowd for sure

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
The team needs a center who can move up the lineup if needed. The offense struggled to score after Suzuki's line. At this point expecting Dach to play a full season is not wise. A Monahan like player makes sense if we don't get Celebrini. Our prospect pool is limited down the middle so signing a center for 3 years would allow for development.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The team needs a center who can move up the lineup if needed. The offense struggled to score after Suzuki's line. At this point expecting Dach to play a full season is not wise. A Monahan like player makes sense if we don't get Celebrini. Our prospect pool is limited down the middle so signing a center for 3 years would allow for development.
Plus Monahan can play wing if/when Beck and/or Kapanen emerge as top 9 NHL C's. I like Newhook as the 3c for now. But like you said, if there is an injury it sets the team back big time unless you have someone like Monahan to step in.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
We need to get bigger and tougher to play against. Hopefully that is addressed this offseason.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I still think Dach needs help on his line for next season. Since HuGo want the team to compete for a playoffs spot and since we got a lot of cap space, i can't see them not going for a short/mid term fix on the second line wings.

Also, like it or not, Dach still needs developing. Give him the tools to do it properly. I'd keep an open spot on that line for one of Roy or Newhook. Let them battle for that spot. Internal competition is always a good thing. But for the other spot, i don't see why we wouldn't sign a legit top 6 D for 2-3 years. That player will keep the spot warm for our 2024 1st pick while helping us being more competitive.

The more i think about it, the more i think Toffoli is the best candidate for that spot. 31 yo. Can score 25-30 goals. Love the city. Great guy. Knows the organization. Knows the players. And won't ask for too much money.

Monahan i like him alot but i think he will asks for to many years and don't want to take that risk long term.

Marchessault well. Would love if he shows interest in playing here for 3-4 years. I guess it all depend on what he asks money wise. We can't screw with our current salary structure. Wouldn't give him more than 7,5 M$ on a 3 years and 6,5-7M$ on a 4 years contract. I think he will get more elsewhere.

So UFA center for me:
  • 1st choice, Monahan age 30 - 2 years at $6M or 3 years at $5M
  • 2nd choice, Henrique age 34 - 1 year at $5M or 2 years at $4.25M
UFA Winger:
  • 1st choice, Marchessault age 34 - 2 years at $7.5M, not longer
  • 2nd choice, Toffoli age 32 - 2 years at $5M , not longer
UFA Defenceman (if we have moved Savard for a first):
  • 1st choice, Matt Roy age 29 - 4 years at $4M
  • 2nd choice, Chatfield age 27 - 4 years at $4M
Trade target RFA age forwards:
  • Zegras
  • Necas
  • Perfetti
  • Holtz
  • could be other options too

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Two very Interesting UFA's in the lower ranks for me are Danton Heinen out of Boston and Mike Amadio out of Vegas.
I'll be watching their games closely in the post season. I think one or both may be reasonably inexpensive responsible glue guys to help upgrade our bottom 6. The only other UFA that interests me is obviously Sam Reinhart.

I also wonder how keen SJ is about paying Philip Zadina 2.7 next season. Maybe he can be had for cheap.
He definitely has talent maybe Marty can help him get his head straight. We can afford the salary and he's easy to get rid of if he doesn't pan out.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Two very Interesting UFA's in the lower ranks for me are Danton Heinen out of Boston and Mike Amadio out of Vegas.
I'll be watching their games closely in the post season. I think one or both may be reasonably inexpensive responsible glue guys to help upgrade our bottom 6. The only other UFA that interests me is obviously Sam Reinhart.

I also wonder how keen SJ is about paying Philip Zadina 2.7 next season. Maybe he can be had for cheap.
He definitely has talent maybe Marty can help him get his head straight. We can afford the salary and he's easy to get rid of if he doesn't pan out.

Reinhart would be IMO the worst FA to sign. Coming off by far the best season in his career hes gonna break the bank and I wouldnt want to pay him 10+ millions per season for many years.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Reinhart would be IMO the worst FA to sign. Coming off by far the beat season in his career hes gonna break the bank and I wouldnt want to pay him 10+ millions per season for many years.
I would pay him the 9 million PLD wanted.
I don't know if he is going to command 10 million plus long term one season does not a career make.
There is no way we don't look at him. If someone is stupid enough to over pay because of his hot contract year it won't be us.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I would pay him the 9 million PLD wanted.
I don't know if he is going to command 10 million plus long term one season does not a career make.
There is no way we don't look at him. If someone is stupid enough to over pay because of his hot contract year it won't be us.
Im pretty confident Hughes wont look at him and he has no intention of offering him a contract. Which is the right play.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

No interest in Heinen or Amadio. Zadina is worth a look at the right price.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
Well,the brass did say their goal is to actually make the playoffs next year so they have to have something in mind. I know they have to sign Gule and whomever else soon but I believe more contracts are coming off the books next year.
I'm sure but if they have a buyout next year that'll help. Just saying that if they're telling us the goal is making the playoffs they obviously have to start spending or trading...just progressing by another 10 points next year still won't cut it so they obviously have something awesome in mind. I believe!

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
So UFA center for me:
UFA Winger:
  • Zegras
  • Necas
  • Perfetti
  • Holtz

Excellent choices, very sound. Not sure we’re offering enough , but I agree we need to be responsible.

I think bringing back Monahan and Toffoli at those numbers may actually be possible, they have relationships with the team and staff after all.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Toffoli
Roy-Monahan-Gallagher

She’s deep.

Reactions: 26Mats

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Finally Alzner off the books.
Edmunston also.
Wideman Ret.
Pearson and White not signed.

We only have 2 RFAs to sigh on the NHL level and a few in the AHL.

I dont see the team going after a big UFA this summer.

Or trading yet. Im thinking, depending on the position, big movements at TDL.

Question is, do we sign Slaf to an extension this summer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So UFA center for me:
UFA Winger:
  • Zegras
  • Necas
  • Perfetti
  • Holtz
If we sign one of those forwards you propose (good proposals), imo opinion we have to move RHP to 13th forward (no problem). If we sign two of them, we have to move out one of Dvo or Armia, or Anderson at 50%. Because right now I have it:

Caufield- Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Newhook/Dvo
Gally - Newhook/Dvo - Armia
RHP - Evan's- Anderson
Ylo, pez

Monahan and a top 6 winger would be good stop gaps and mentors for the youth while we await this year's top 7 pick, and whatever we do with the Jets 1st, the Florida 1st (Calgary), our own 1st next year, and our surplus of D prospects (Engstrom, Barron, Struble, Harris, Bogdan).

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Well,the brass did say their goal is to actually make the playoffs next year so they have to have something in mind. I know they have to sign Gule and whomever else soon but I believe more contracts are coming off the books next year.
I'm sure but if they have a buyout next year that'll help. Just saying that if they're telling us the goal is making the playoffs they obviously have to start spending or trading...just progressing by another 10 points next year still won't cut it so they obviously have something awesome in mind. I believe!
Not what they said at all. They said they want players to want to make the playoffs, as every player in the league should. Wording is important, in case you forgot, you are dealing with a lawyer

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Excellent choices, very sound. Not sure we’re offering enough , but I agree we need to be responsible.

I think bringing back Monahan and Toffoli at those numbers may actually be possible, they have relationships with the team and staff after all.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Toffoli
Roy-Monahan-Gallagher

She’s deep.
Armia ahead of Gallagher in middle six. And if we can land a young forward by trade,it would be even better, and the worse-playing of Armia and Gally goes to the 4th line. I'd play Newhook with Monahan to provide speed. Dach needs a sniper more, and a speedster less.

Evans is 10th F, and Anderson, Dvorak, RHP, Pezzetta fight for 12th-14th spots.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
right now I have it:

Caufield- Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Newhook/Dvo
Gally - Newhook/Dvo - Armia
RHP - Evan's- Anderson
Ylo, pez

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Toffoli (if we land Zegras or other proven forward, Roy can play 1st line in Laval)
Newhook-Monahan-Armia (give Moneyhands and Joel some speed)
Evans, Gallagher and say Anderson
spare: Dvorak (unless he beats out Anderson)
waive or second spare: RHP/Pezzetta/Ylonen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Toffoli (if we land Zegras or other proven forward, Roy can play 1st line in Laval)
Newhook-Monahan-Armia (give Moneyhands and Joel some speed)
Evans, Gallagher and say Anderson
spare: Dvorak (unless he beats out Anderson)
waive or second spare: RHP/Pezzetta/Ylonen

I like that lineup a lot. Even if we only get one of Toffoli or Monahan, I like going into next year with:

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Toffoli/Monahan/Zegras/Necas/etc...
Gally-Newhook-Armia (finished the season well)
RHP-Evans-Anderson (would surprise a lot of people imo)

Edit: I even think Dvo could surprise with the offense, forecheck, and digging he could do on a line with Roy and Dach. I think he's mis-cast as a top 9 center in today's NHL. He doesn't wheel around the ice well enough. He's too often behind the play.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
There is nothing left to command an early first unless they give up on Suz, Cole, Slaf, Matheson or one of the younger Ds, which won't happen. That's your future core. If you think Dvorak, Gallagher, Armia, Anderson and Savard can fetch an early first. Keep dreaming. They can use the picks though to bring another forward, but that Newhook deal was gross overpayment.

The best thing to do is continue to force other GMs to unload their costly mistakes, as the Habs have room to absorb the contracts and pile up on picks.
By early 1st I mean 8-12 range. We have loads of D + draft capital. No need to trade Suzuki, caufield, etc.

Was just an example tho. Maybe they trade their assets for a player straight up. Point is something will be going down this off season. Will be something bigger than newhook acquisition last year I think and will catch all of us off guard

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Trade Matheson to Carolina for Necas.
Sign Carrier.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Dach - Necas
Gallagher - Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Heineman

Guhle - Carrier
Hutson - Savard
Struble - Xhekaj
Harris/Kovacevic/Barron

Additional moves: Trade Dvorak for whatever, try to get a pick or something for one or two of Harris/Kovacevic/Barron.

In 2025 Reinbacher replaces Savard, add Demidov or Iginla to that top 6 and have a third line with Newhook and Roy. There you go!

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad