News Article: Montreal must approach deadline with caution

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
We're together and apart. Center or not he should be ahead of DD on the depth chart. I don't really think there's any argument that's valid, otherwise.

The sky is green.
Galchenyuk has much higher potential than DD.

You won't believe it, but logically speaking, that's a valid argument. :laugh:

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
We shouldn't have traded for Gomez and pyatt, keeping Higgins and Koivu instead which is an obvious upgrade.

Also, McD played half of the 2010-11 season and the entire 2011-12 season. Even if we took our time, he would've cracked the team by 2011-12 season.

Habs shouldn't have done the trade. Keep McD and etc.. and if they finish a bit higher in the 2011-2012 season, they can draft Forsberg instead.

As much as I like him, Galchenyuk < McDonagh + Forsberg.

HabsDieHard*

The sky is green.
Galchenyuk has much higher potential than DD.

You won't believe it, but logically speaking, that's a valid argument. :laugh:

The longer they keep Galchenyuk away from center the longer it takes for him to become an NHL center.

The longer they wait to develop him as an NHL center the closer they are to Plekanec and Markov no longer being high end reliable players.

Closer they are to no longer having the best bargain goal scoring winger in the league.

What exactly is so great about the future that makes all of these assets worth saving?

I'm slowly but surely turning on Bergevin and he better do something in the next 4 weeks to show that he knows this team is a winner right now and the future offers nothing but promise and uncertainty.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The longer they keep Galchenyuk away from center the longer it takes for him to become an NHL center.

The longer they wait to develop him as an NHL center the closer they are to Plekanec and Markov no longer being high end reliable players.

Closer they are to no longer having the best bargain goal scoring winger in the league.

What exactly is so great about the future that makes all of these assets worth saving?

I'm slowly but surely turning on Bergevin and he better do something in the next 4 weeks to show that he knows this team is a winner right now and the future offers nothing but promise and uncertainty.

I don't believe that at all. By leaving him on the wing he gets to "bloom" offensively before having to focus a lot of his energy on the nuances of playing center(faceoffs, coverage and positioning).

Even if he was playing center from day 1, the habs cup window only opens when Galchenyuk is 22.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'm tired of caution, this ****ing team can't score.

Go big or go home.

Dallas needs defense. Montreal needs offense.

Habs get Tyler Seguin, John Klingberg, Antoine Roussel and a 2nd round pick.

Stars get PK Subban and Lars Eller.

To get top quality, you will have to give up top quality.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Go big or go home.

Dallas needs defense. Montreal needs offense.

Habs get Tyler Seguin, John Klingberg, Antoine Roussel and a 2nd round pick.

Stars get PK Subban and Lars Eller.

To get top quality, you will have to give up top quality.

I disagree on this one. I don't think Dallas even does this but this just sets up another hole.

Considering our recent 1st rounders have been forwards, I don't see the need to create another hole. That being said, seguin is a heck of a player, better than Subban IMO but man oh man, with the country club aged D we have I'm not sure this is a great idea to even consider.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I disagree on this one. I don't think Dallas even does this but this just sets up another hole.

Considering our recent 1st rounders have been forwards, I don't see the need to create another hole. That being said, seguin is a heck of a player, better than Subban IMO but man oh man, with the country club aged D we have I'm not sure this is a great idea to even consider.

That trade would never happen.

However, to get the talent that we need on offense, the Habs will have to trade something very valuable in return.

It would be pointless to trade Pacioretty to get more offense. That leaves us with Price and Subban as valuable enough pieces to get top talent on offense.

If Bergevin wanted to be bold, he would have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Looking at our prospect pool, no way would/could he trade Price. There are options in Hamilton on D. Especially with Price in the nets. He can make an average DMan look better than he really is.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That trade would never happen.

However, to get the talent that we need on offense, the Habs will have to trade something very valuable in return.

It would be pointless to trade Pacioretty to get more offense. That leaves us with Price and Subban as valuable enough pieces to get top talent on offense.

If Bergevin wanted to be bold, he would have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Looking at our prospect pool, no way would/could he trade Price. There are options in Hamilton on D. Especially with Price in the nets. He can make an average DMan look better than he really is.

I get where you're coming from but I think this is one of the areas that we don't need to upgrade just yet.

Seguin is fantastic but we still have Seguin, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, DD are centerman afterwards.

I'm open to trading both Eller and DD in separate packages to bolster our RW with a decent top 6er.

In my mind you build around:

Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Plekanec
Galchenyuk

and while guys like

Gallagher
Eller
Markov
etc...

can be seen as long term solutions but I'd easily dangle them for an upgrade. Given the weak RW I'd rather hold onto Gallagher though but seeing guys like PAP don't do it for me. We need better talent up front I just don't want to destroy one position to overload another.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I get where you're coming from but I think this is one of the areas that we don't need to upgrade just yet.

Seguin is fantastic but we still have Seguin, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, DD are centerman afterwards.

I'm open to trading both Eller and DD in separate packages to bolster our RW with a decent top 6er.

In my mind you build around:

Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Plekanec
Galchenyuk

and while guys like

Gallagher
Eller
Markov
etc...

can be seen as long term solutions but I'd easily dangle them for an upgrade. Given the weak RW I'd rather hold onto Gallagher though but seeing guys like PAP don't do it for me. We need better talent up front I just don't want to destroy one position to overload another.

I agree with your assessment.

I was just pointing out what it will take to get top talent in a "big move". And in reality, the cost will be too high.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
"Peak" and "Prime" are two different things. A player's peak is his window of absolute best statistical seasons, and tends to occur somewhere from 24-28 IIRC. For pure goal-scorers it's even earlier than that.

"Prime" is the longer window on either side of the peak, where players are putting up very good seasons but not as good as their peak.

If you look at Lundqvist for example, he peaked in the 11/12 season when he rang up a .930 SV% and 28.5 GSAA (goals saved above average). On either side of that year he was .923 / .926 SV% and 19.1 / 16.8 GSAA.

This year he's .922 and 10.5. Last year he was .920 and 11.9. So you do see a slight downward trend creeping into his GSAA number, and he's down on his SV% from his peak as well.

Lundqvist is still in his prime, but his peak does look to be over.

I don't really agree with talking about goalies this way. Great players change the way they play year after year to fit the change in the game, in their bodies, and in their team and coaching. Statistics are not a good example of how a goalie has to adjust to the differences in quality of competition, teammates, injuries and ageing etc.

Peak and Prime are purely statistical, but to be honest they don't really say much about the effectiveness of the goalie necessarily. Where do you locate "peak" Grant Fuhr or "peak" Roy? Roy's rookie year in the playoffs? 93? Later than that?

What about Tim Thomas?

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am writing a post about hockey.

Sincerely,
The guy writing a post about hockey.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

I think he was having a pretty tough time handling the pace over just a stretch of games this year he's not ready yet - it was great experience. I hope next year he will take another step and get a line the whole year with some sheltered minutes good starts pp etc

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Peak and Prime are purely statistical, but to be honest they don't really say much about the effectiveness of the goalie necessarily. Where do you locate "peak" Grant Fuhr or "peak" Roy? Roy's rookie year in the playoffs? 93? Later than that?
With Fuhr it looks fairly easy. He peaked from 21-23, when he posted GSAA numbers of 14.1, 13.8, and then 19.9. He did put up a 13.9 at the age of 30 with the Leafs, and a 10.1 at 33 with the Blues, but other than that 3-year peak, Fuhr was statistically never much better than an average goaltender. He benefited by playing behind a powerhouse, obviously.

Fuhr did elevate his game in the playoffs at 24 & 25 though, so there's that.

As for Roy, peak is easy. 24 to 28. GSAA numbers, in order, of 47.1 (!), 27.2, 46.9 (!), 16.7 (he was somewhat ordinary in the 93 season, but then had his best-ever playoff GSAA in 93), and then 44.2.

Prime, well, Roy's whole career would qualify as a prime for most goalies. His playoff runs at 36 & 37 weren't great by his standards.

What about Tim Thomas?
Burned hot, burned fast. He had stunning 09 & 11 seasons (45.7 GSAA at 36!), fairly good 08 & 06 seasons, and not much beyond that. He effectively didn't play long enough to have what you'd consider a prime.

Do I have to say that I really, really like that GSAA number for evaluating goalies? ;)

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
tade for rentals but dont give up more then a couple seconds and b prospects (jagr) because were good enough to be an outside contender and cindarella stories happen

save first pick to draft rhd (jeremy roy)

use 2016-17 1sts, eller, and whatever else we got to get a top winger and sign another ufa (kane, hall, simmonds, vrbata etc.)

fast forward to 2017-18

resign markov and pleky cheap

patch-chucky-sherback
x-mccarron-x
sekac-plecky-galy
hudon-jdlr-bournival/ghetto/prospects that go rookie in 16-17

tinner-subban
beaulieu-roy
emelin-markov

..wishful thinking that we could draft a rhd and have him make the team at 20-21 years old i guess.. actually a lot more wishful thinking than that lol

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Our Cup window don't close with Price's decline, it close as soon as Pacioretty contract expire (in 3 years)

I still remember that one article from a bitter Toronto media about how Patch was one of the worst contract in the league.. good times :laugh:

That said, in a few years, we can cross our fingers that the cap has risen...

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad