News Article: Montreal must approach deadline with caution

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
We wouldn't have Galchenyuk.

How you figure, Its not like he would have even been up considering how poorly they thought he was. Only had 9 points for the rags in 2010, He would have been stuck in the dogs for a year or longer given how well we develop guys(see tinordi for examples, or beau)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
How you figure, Its not like he would have even been up considering how poorly they thought he was. Only had 9 points for the rags in 2010, He would have been stuck in the dogs for a year or longer given how well we develop guys(see tinordi for examples, or beau)

We shouldn't have traded for Gomez and pyatt, keeping Higgins and Koivu instead which is an obvious upgrade.

Also, McD played half of the 2010-11 season and the entire 2011-12 season. Even if we took our time, he would've cracked the team by 2011-12 season.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Either way, that doesn't support his argument.

Thanks!

The point I was making is why have Galchenyuk at all if the coach signed until after my expected life span, doesn't understand who Chucky is.

It's beyond comprehension that DD is likely back on the first. Shameful, really.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
For the next 1-2 years, Markov and Plekanec will be as good as they are right now. We do have a little bit of time, but not much.

But then again, let's not forget that we have young guys coming up.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The point I was making is why have Galchenyuk at all if the coach signed until after my expected life span, doesn't understand who Chucky is.

It's beyond comprehension that DD is likely back on the first. Shameful, really.

Maybe so but Galchenyuk is still utilized.

Perhaps I'm not as concerned as others as I projected Galchenyuk as a full time C next year over a year ago. So I'm not surprised about it. He can certainly play C now but he's not a star C just yet. The team is better with him as LW. When he takes next step over summer it would be ridiculous for him not to be a C.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
We need a top-6 forward AND a top-4 defenseman. We also need to show up prepared for games, but that's a different story.

And 3 year peak for Price? Lol, he's 27. Goalies peak can last a while (Lundqvist, Rinne). Price will be a top goalie until 34 at least.

There's a difference between peak and prime...

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Maybe so but Galchenyuk is still utilized.

Perhaps I'm not as concerned as others as I projected Galchenyuk as a full time C next year over a year ago. So I'm not surprised about it. He can certainly play C now but he's not a star C just yet. The team is better with him as LW. When he takes next step over summer it would be ridiculous for him not to be a C.

We're together and apart. Center or not he should be ahead of DD on the depth chart. I don't really think there's any argument that's valid, otherwise.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
I think we still need a lot. 2 top 6 wingers a top 4 dman and we need DD gone and replaced with Chucky. That is a lot. We can't win with a 1-2 combo of DD and Pleks down the middle. It is never going to happen.

Edit: We would have been half-way there if Bergevin could have swung a DD and a 2nd round pick for Perron. But no, Perron is now lighting it up with the Pens. Bergevin missed the boat on this trade again.

Last edited:

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Three years at most. Hasek is the only guy who was THAT good for a longer period of time. I'm sure people will come in and compare us to Chicago-style rebuild but at the age of our core Chicago was going for their second cup in four years.

Roy and Brodeur also played pretty well till late in their 30's

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We dealt Collberg cause we had more prospects like him in the system, well Ghetto, Thomas, Lehkonen, Hudon, and Reway are similar enough that we can spare one or 4 of them

I'd keep Hudon and if any of the others can help us get better this year go for it, I'd actually rank Gregoire above most of them as an NHL prospect

Same goes for any D-man not named Tinordi and even Fucale should be on the table

We've got as good a chance as any to come out of the East and in a best of 7 Price can steal a couple of games against the West but Weise and Prust can't be in our Top 9 we need more from a 4th line C and we need an upgrade on the 2nd pairing

geometrically*

DD needs to go first. We will never be legit cup contender with him on the team.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I would say the top line C will be resolved on its own with Chuck next year.

But then you create a hole at LW and one on the RW.

The top 6 of this team is not pretty by any means.

It's just young.

We have Maxpac - Chucky - Gallagher - Eller

The problem is the 2nd wave and the transition to it. We have a gap there.

Sekac, Scherback, Hudon, Lekhonen, De la Rose, McCarron will probably all take at least 2-3 years to become what we need them to become, then there is Plekanec-Markov getting older. I'm not sure that I wouldn't pull a surprise sell at the draft. Could we get a guy like Eichel out of Edmonton for a package like Pleks, Markov and our 1st? (Assuming the unlikely assumption that said players are willing). The pressure to shift strategy in Edmonton is quite significant(Nor McDavid or Eichel will make them win next year.) and our gap is real.

We see that by the fact that we are missing a guy like Parenteau dearly right now as he spread out the other team defense at the very least. And we have DD. These two are what they are, two top 6 pluggers that top teams generally don't have, but without them we can't go very far right now. And in the east, they are sufficient. Now, if we were to do this, next year might not be pretty, but the year after we would be a contender with a group of young veteran strongly in charge and young stars in front. It doesn't have to be for Eichel, I was just pointing out a scenario, maybe we would get more by selling these guys separately.

I'm not too sure I see a scenario where we have a cup-contenting team with Pleks and Markov aboard anymore.

Last edited:

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Don't know why but I won't be mad if we can't get anybody at the deadline. I prefer a good UFA this summer with a lot of our UFA not coming back.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Don't know why but I won't be mad if we can't get anybody at the deadline. I prefer a good UFA this summer with a lot of our UFA not coming back.

Not sure I believe in the UFA lottery, when was the last time that worked if you exclude tanked-teams. Most of the Stanley Cup winners of the past years are teams that mostly tanked or developed talent for a while.

Chicago (I'll give you Hossa)
LA (I'll give you Gaborik)
Pittsburgh (I'll give you ?? Sykora?)
Detroit (I'll give you Rafalski)
Boston(I'll give you Chara)

I'm not suggesting we tank, I'm suggesting we trade for a top 5 center, then maybe we will get that one big UFA win.

Anyway, what great UFA could we get? http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...cody-franson-johnny-boychuk-antoine-vermette/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Price's peak isn't going to last that long. Patience is the worst thing we could do with such an average roster and great goalie. As soon as Markov declines we're done.

And how do you know this? Dude is only 27 and he could very well play at his current level for another 7-8 years easily.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd be shocked if Habs traded their first pick. Or top prospects, can see them moving a 2nd pick and B prospect though. Or now for now trade, but can't see them moving a large piece of their future.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I agree with this article. Habs Should not be giving up on young assets for rentals. If MB can trade for an impact player with a longer term, then I will be happy.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
And how do you know this? Dude is only 27 and he could very well play at his current level for another 7-8 years easily.
"Peak" and "Prime" are two different things. A player's peak is his window of absolute best statistical seasons, and tends to occur somewhere from 24-28 IIRC. For pure goal-scorers it's even earlier than that.

"Prime" is the longer window on either side of the peak, where players are putting up very good seasons but not as good as their peak.

If you look at Lundqvist for example, he peaked in the 11/12 season when he rang up a .930 SV% and 28.5 GSAA (goals saved above average). On either side of that year he was .923 / .926 SV% and 19.1 / 16.8 GSAA.

This year he's .922 and 10.5. Last year he was .920 and 11.9. So you do see a slight downward trend creeping into his GSAA number, and he's down on his SV% from his peak as well.

Lundqvist is still in his prime, but his peak does look to be over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad