Montreal making the Finals is terrible for the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Immediately when people first read this they will assume I’m just salty they won so I’m going to start off by saying that I was rooting for Montreal as a Ducks fan for Corey Perry, however it is impossible to deny that Montreal making the finals is objectively awful for the league.

A team that won 24 of 56 games shouldn’t sniff the championship round in any sport, and the fact that the NHL has this is a terrible look on the competitive nature of the league. They are at least lucky that this team is in a big market because there is otherwise nothing marketable about the Habs. They have no star players, no casual fan is going to give a damn about seeing this team make the finals. Beyond marketability, what does this say to the owners and fans about the acquisition of star players, when a team that has none can blow through teams that have several? Why should any owner invest in star players and why should any fan get excited about acquiring star players? Upsets are fun, but when they become overwhelming like this, it ruins the product.

Like I said, I wanted Montreal to win but this is just how I see it. I’m awful at articulating so I’m sure this sounds more just like a rant but this is how I see it.

Are you just ignoring that Carey Price was injured for a lot of the season? Price in net instead of Allen, you don't think they win more games?

They dealt with a lot of injuries to guys throughout the season. Maybe they might not have the depth of other teams, but when healthy, they showed they were a playoff team.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Immediately when people first read this they will assume I’m just salty they won so I’m going to start off by saying that I was rooting for Montreal as a Ducks fan for Corey Perry, however it is impossible to deny that Montreal making the finals is objectively awful for the league.

A team that won 24 of 56 games shouldn’t sniff the championship round in any sport, and the fact that the NHL has this is a terrible look on the competitive nature of the league. They are at least lucky that this team is in a big market because there is otherwise nothing marketable about the Habs. They have no star players, no casual fan is going to give a damn about seeing this team make the finals. Beyond marketability, what does this say to the owners and fans about the acquisition of star players, when a team that has none can blow through teams that have several? Why should any owner invest in star players and why should any fan get excited about acquiring star players? Upsets are fun, but when they become overwhelming like this, it ruins the product.

Like I said, I wanted Montreal to win but this is just how I see it. I’m awful at articulating so I’m sure this sounds more just like a rant but this is how I see it.

it’s all good, they got enough haters to keep the viewership up ;) LFG

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
If you're talking from a marketing perspective with in the U.S., probably since they aren't in the U.S..

Product wise? Not really. 1990 Oilers had similar winning percentage, too.

Reactions: Tuggy and Maliki2

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013

You know what they say about assuming.

Reactions: Mr Mom and Maliki2

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

They earned it, but they are an uninspiring team that plays an uninspiring game. I feel for them as I felt for the Devils in the mid-90s, I avoid watching their games and wish for them to fail.

Whichever team has the best chance of beating the Habs is the team I want to win the NYI/TB game seven.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Habs have solid depth, they are both young and old, they have Carey Price and Shea Weber.. they beat poopoo Toronto and Jets and now they beat the NHL executives’ team. They deserve it and I think it’s great for the NHL. I think a team being granted a clean slate in the middle of a league-wide cap crunch was worse than a “boring” small market Canadian team making it to the finals

Reactions: Mr Mom and Oryxo

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I guess Carey Price and Shea Weber are total crap ?

And Habs had the worst regular season schedule. It's obvious now that it played a role in their pretty mediocre regular season.

Having one of the biggest hockey market going in the final is GREAT for the sport.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Nah, this is great for the game. One of the most storied franchises in the team coming back from an almost three decade cup slump to win as the underdog? It's great stuff.

Really hope the executives don't think this because it will inadvertently lead to bad incentives on the ice to encourage certain outcomes and will cheapen the product and cup as a result.

Reactions: Oryxo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad