Montreal making the Finals is terrible for the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Immediately when people first read this they will assume I’m just salty they won so I’m going to start off by saying that I was rooting for Montreal as a Ducks fan for Corey Perry, however it is impossible to deny that Montreal making the finals is objectively awful for the league.

A team that won 24 of 56 games shouldn’t sniff the championship round in any sport, and the fact that the NHL has this is a terrible look on the competitive nature of the league. They are at least lucky that this team is in a big market because there is otherwise nothing marketable about the Habs. They have no star players, no casual fan is going to give a damn about seeing this team make the finals. Beyond marketability, what does this say to the owners and fans about the acquisition of star players, when a team that has none can blow through teams that have several? Why should any owner invest in star players and why should any fan get excited about acquiring star players? Upsets are fun, but when they become overwhelming like this, it ruins the product.

Like I said, I wanted Montreal to win but this is just how I see it. I’m awful at articulating so I’m sure this sounds more just like a rant but this is how I see it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Some teams are built for the playoffs. Play is elevated in the playoffs.

I feel this is working exactly how it should. Imo the Stanley Cup is more about heart than who is the most skilled during the regular season when some guys look like they're just cruising until the playoffs lol.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Immediately when people first read this they will assume I’m just salty they won so I’m going to start off by saying that I was rooting for Montreal as a Ducks fan for Corey Perry, however it is impossible to deny that Montreal making the finals is objectively awful for the league.

A team that won 24 of 56 games shouldn’t sniff the championship round in any sport, and the fact that the NHL has this is a terrible look on the competitive nature of the league. They are at least lucky that this team is in a big market because there is otherwise nothing marketable about the Habs. They have no star players, no casual fan is going to give a damn about seeing this team make the finals. Beyond marketability, what does this say to the owners and fans about the acquisition of star players, when a team that has none can blow through teams that have several? Why should any owner invest in star players and why should any fan get excited about acquiring star players? Upsets are fun, but when they become overwhelming like this, it ruins the product.

Like I said, I wanted Montreal to win but this is just how I see it. I’m awful at articulating so I’m sure this sounds more just like a rant but this is how I see it.
LOL................................The MOST storied franchise, making the finals is bad for the league.
Salary Cap and Parity would raise your salt...........
HF, never disappoints...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad