OT: Montreal Impact Thread XXVIII - "The Nacho Man" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
As long as The King aint playin, we can win/draw both.
We should play our home game at the Big O :laugh:
I always had interest in the MLS and follow the Impact... but it's become even more intense ever since seeing the USMNT compete with some of the better nations. The MLS is slowly getting stronger and stronger as a league.

Canadians should definitely be following how well the USMNT does in international tournaments.
I cheered for the USMNT in 2010. And ever since IMFC joined the MLS I've been following the league as a whole a lot more, which caused me to cheer for the USMNT even more this summer. Most people in Montreal either have a connection to certain teams or they'll cheer for the big teams.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Cheering for the USA? You can't be serious.

I too have been cheering for the USMNT for a very long time. It's not just a distance thing, it's the fact that the better they look, the better the MLS looks as a whole. US brings it's own brand of very physical soccer. IMO they were the team that gave the most problems to Germany after Argentina.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
USA are like my third team after Portugal and Canada. That's because of the MLS.

It's their only national team that I am able to cheer for.

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
Exactly. Sportswise I am as anti american as one can get. I've been cheering for their defeat my whole life.

But Soccer is unique. We are so integrated and interrelated with their program, and our success is so related to theirs(ex: TFC, Bradley and their Academy) that I cheer for them.

Also it does not hurt that I hear about them all the time via all the american MLS reporters I follow.

Also, would players like Piatti and the next group like him come if the US bombed?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Maybe we should all start REALLY following the Canadian team and putting pressure on Soccer Canada to succeed/develop a program instead of nut hugging our neighbors from the South? Let's develop the sport HERE, damn it!

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Maybe we should all start REALLY following the Canadian team and putting pressure on Soccer Canada to succeed/develop a program instead of nut hugging our neighbors from the South? Let's develop the sport HERE, damn it!

It's tough with a population of 37 million or whatever with long winters and a sport that covers all others in hockey. The best way for soccer to develop is through the team's academy programs and the success of Canadian teams in the MLS.

This also requires the MLS to gain respectability around the world to attract more talent... and I'd say the most important factor for that so far was through the success of the US in the World Cup.

The Americans had a head start in development with a bunch of local professional teams, and now Canada has Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal to inspire the young ones.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Just saw the last Soriola interview on rds. Holy cap, I can tell you this much, kid doesn't lack confidence. I'm just hoping for a mean mofo back there. Ouimette is physical but lacks tactical attributes while Lefevre had good ball skills, but he's French...

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Just saw the last Soriola interview on rds. Holy cap, I can tell you this much, kid doesn't lack confidence. I'm just hoping for a mean mofo back there. Ouimette is physical but lacks tactical attributes while Lefevre had good ball skills, but he's French...

Hmm, what do you have against French people?;) I'd take Aurélien Collin any day of the week with l'Impact. Not all French are softies.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Un maudit français tabarnac.

Edit: Camara too is a maudit français.

Edit 2: Academy big boss Philippe Eullafroy too.

Last edited:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Speaking of Ouimette, he was selected by the CMNT for the Jamaïca game! WTF?!? Canada's defense is THAT bad?

Bernier, Gagnon-Laparé and Issey also selected.

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
I watch every single CNT match I can get, both male at female, on every level. I follow CSA policy, I follow PLSQ and I hope the new NASL league is successful.

But the most important thing we can do is support local soccer.

the CSA has a new Long Term Development Program that in the long run has all the elements we need to transform Canadian soccer. It follows the steps of Canadian Basketball and Tennis and focuses on better coaching, more practice, and less meaningless competition.

By moving that program forward and being/fostering better coaching, we can make a huge difference in the long run.

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
On that note Soccer Canada just released the roster for next week:

GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / AIK
GK- Milan Borjan | unattached / sans club
GK- Quillan Roberts | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Nik Ledgerwood | GER / Energie Cottbus
D- Andre Hainault | GER / VfR Aalen
D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Dejan Jakovic | JPN / Shimizu S-Pulse
D- Adam Straith | unattached / sans club
D- Karl W. Ouimette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
D- Jeremy Gagnon-Laparé | CAN / Impact de Montréal
D- David Edgar | ENG / Birmingham City FC
M- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Julian de Guzman | unattached / sans club
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / Santa Clara
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Besiktas
M- Marcel de Jong | GER / Augsburg
M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Patrice Bernier | CAN / Impact de Montréal

F-Tosaint Ricketts | ISR / Hapoel Haifa
F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Coventry City
F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Crewe Alexandra
F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Stuttgarter Kickers
F- Dwayne De Rosario | CAN / Toronto FC

A dissapointingly large number of older/aging players, including Issey and Bernier, but a good crop of kids as well.

A number of the best players, including Portland's Johnson, TFC's Osorio, Vancouver's Teibert and Dallas's Tesho are missing due to personal stuff as well as league games, which sucks, and no Tissot is disappointing as well but It's still a decent group.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Late night games are always fun. Last time we played the Crew at this time was in our first year. Came from 1-0 down to win 2-1 with a Zarek Valentin goal. Good days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad