OT: Montreal Impact Thread XXVI and World Cup Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealCanadiens*

Piatti looks to be official. Impact posted his picture on Facebook.

As a relatively new fan I don't have a lot of knowledge of soccer outside of North America and was wondering what caliber is Piatti? I read a report saying he is one of the best players in Argentina's main league. If that's the case why isn't he on the World Cup team?

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal

As a relatively new fan I don't have a lot of knowledge of soccer outside of North America and was wondering what caliber is Piatti? I read a report saying he is one of the best players in Argentina's main league. If that's the case why isn't he on the World Cup team?

Argentina's 1st division or whatever its called doesn't come close to a top caliber European league. The best Argentines will always move to Europe for a bigger challenge.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
About ****ing time. When is he going to be available for us? Is he going to be allowed to play at the Libertadores?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

3 players out of 23 on Argentina squad, play in Argentina. 2 of them played in big teams in the past; Gago- Napoli & Real Madrid and Maxi Rodriguez (Idk how is he still on the team) played for Liverpool & Atletico Madrid. I just checked and their 3rd GK plays on the most prestigious team in Argentina, Boca Juniors.
This is when you realize that the Argentinian league is not the best.
EDIT : Gago played for Roma not Napoli...

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
About ****ing time. When is he going to be available for us? Is he going to be allowed to play at the Libertadores?

Elizabeth Rancourt ‏@elitvasports 9m View translation
C'est fait: Piatti à Montréal, mais seulement au mois d'août! Explications à #tvasports #imfc

So he's only available in August.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I hope they dont over play him when he gets here. Dude needs a breather. Good to hear its finally gone through though.

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Article from mlssoccer.com

Montreal will let Piatti complete San Lorenzo’s 2014 Copa Libertadores run. Currently set for a two-leg semifinal, San Lorenzo's run could carry through August 13, the second leg of the championship. The second registration window closes on August 6. The Impact will thus need a special exemption from FIFA to register Piatti outside of that window.

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Anyways let's be honest, by the time he gets here we're going to be out of the playoff picture big time. We'll be able to rest him as mush as we want :laugh:

I am not sure but I remember reading that his primary position is CAM.
Transfermarkt has him as LM, a few other websites I checked have him as simply a midfielder. Nick Sabetti's article about his arrival has him as a left winger.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Transfermarkt has him as LM, a few other websites I checked have him as simply a midfielder. Nick Sabetti's article about his arrival has him as a left winger.

Can you post a link to this Sabetti's article? :)

Looks like it's still TBA. For comparison, last year matchday 1 was August 6-8.

Thanks. So we might be ok with Romero, Mapp and Issey until then.

Is Yairo Yau still with the team?

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
Any news on Nyassi? I know that he has been injured..but for how long is he out for? He seems like someone that we can look to trade for. Someone in this thread also mentioned that Lopez didn't even make the bench last game..and could be expendable as well.

If we somehow get rid of them, it would free up on capspace and international spots.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Ferrari seems to be back, did not allow a goal in the last 2 games. I knew he still had something to prove, so yes I would get rid of Lopez (waste of Int.)

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Best game of the tourney for me (from the ones I've watched). The ET was crazy and I desperately wanted penalties - this game deserved it imo. BTW it's crazy that the Belgian coach had the guts to take off Origi who at that point looked like the best player on the pitch. Lukaku ended up being the difference maker so kudos to him for that although he probably could have taken someone else off.

I know late post, but yes, agree that this substitution pretty much won it for Bel. While Origi was playing well and was everywhere, he also contributed to the moral victory that is now Howard's "legendary" saves. (Cannot think of one that wasn't just being at the right place at the right time.) Origi kept botching beautiful chances by pulling a Gionta (I feel I do not have to explain this phenomenon). Howard was not Halak. Origi just sucked at finishing.

Lukaku -- AWESOME!

Really impressed with Belgium. Very strong individuals, good team play (can switch angles of attack quickly) and fantastic first touches. I think Argentina have their hands full tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad