OT: Montreal Impact Thread: Welcome to Orji-Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
No money for Fanni but yeah sure let's get this guy

I guess mentioning IMFC is the go-to negotiation tactic of all mid-tier SA talent...

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Thank you for your kind answer.

I was asking because I have tried to follow them for years and can never really get emotionally attached for a few reasons.

- They choke all the time.
- CSA is a clown organization and the sport was not taken as seriously as it should in Canada.
- Lack of potential French Canadian stats (easier to relate to guys like "you" when the team sucks).

With the new wave of players and the CPL it seems to be changing. As a huge soccer fan, I kinda feel that it is my duty to follow and care about the NT if I wanna see funding for soccer continue to rise. It is just much easier when it does not seem like a lost cause.
+1

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
No money for Fanni but yeah sure let's get this guy

I guess mentioning IMFC is the go-to negotiation tactic of all mid-tier SA talent...

He might be Nacho's replacement. Also, there might not be money currently, but in July IMFC will receive another payment for the Silva transfer.

His agent is confirming the talks

No Nacho, probably no Taïder/Lovitz. Odds are Novillo starts on the left and Orji on the right, with Choinière instead of Taïder. If Bayiha is healthy he might get the nod on the right too. Raitala would of course get the nod on LB and Camacho would be replacing Diallo.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Definitely, so I gather you understand why I feel I have to be a proponent of Canadian Soccer, there hardly are any of us around. But no matter how much people like me will be preaching, there's nothing like a bunch of hyped fearless kids who want to go for it, to get people excited.

Your points are totally valid, and I agree with all of them... well maybe we dont choke ALL the time and get concacafed once in a while, (Atibas' goal was not offside at the 2007 Gold Cup semi!) but yeah.. I know.

And I know it might not sound convincing because of the lack of teams in Quebec, but i genuinely think the CPL will benefit French Canadians. There are already several French Canadian and francophone players in the league, and there will only be more once there are teams in this province.

I totally get the importance of the NT and the national program in general if we want the sport to grow. I mean, participation levels are super high (boys and girls) and we are a rich country. There is absolutely no reason for us not to be a good performer internationally. Sure, it takes time and we have to build the structure, but it is doable. Great steps have been taken (MLS teams, the CPL, better regional leagues like PLSQ and Ontario League One). We are in a shitty confederation with only Mexico, USA and Costa Rica as teams that should beat us regularly. In due time, we should even be able to compete with them and beat them "frequently".

As for French Canadians, yes, the CPL will help. The PLSQ helps. The IMFC Academy helps. The IMFC Academy has 7 years and has shown SOME results (not very good because the transition from the Academy to the first team is very badly managed - CPL COULD help there). In 5-10 years, I believe we will see many more French Canadians at the pro level. IMFC having a lot of Francophones also helps raise interest in the Québécois population (Piatti speaking French is definitely part of the reason why he is THAT popular).

All in all, I am more positive than negative towards the future of Canadian soccer. I am a little afraid of the CSA being short-sighted, but, meh, I can live with it. I would love to volunteer at the CSA, but I do not have a lot of time and I do not want to sit on local boards with parents who don't know nothing about the game and only want their kids to play.

Reactions: ShaMu

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I totally get the importance of the NT and the national program in general if we want the sport to grow. I mean, participation levels are super high (boys and girls) and we are a rich country. There is absolutely no reason for us not to be a good performer internationally. Sure, it takes time and we have to build the structure, but it is doable. Great steps have been taken (MLS teams, the CPL, better regional leagues like PLSQ and Ontario League One). We are in a ****ty confederation with only Mexico, USA and Costa Rica as teams that should beat us regularly. In due time, we should even be able to compete with them and beat them "frequently".

As for French Canadians, yes, the CPL will help. The PLSQ helps. The IMFC Academy helps. The IMFC Academy has 7 years and has shown SOME results (not very good because the transition from the Academy to the first team is very badly managed - CPL COULD help there). In 5-10 years, I believe we will see many more French Canadians at the pro level. IMFC having a lot of Francophones also helps raise interest in the Québécois population (Piatti speaking French is definitely part of the reason why he is THAT popular).

All in all, I am more positive than negative towards the future of Canadian soccer. I am a little afraid of the CSA being short-sighted, but, meh, I can live with it. I would love to volunteer at the CSA, but I do not have a lot of time and I do not want to sit on local boards with parents who don't know nothing about the game and only want their kids to play.

It all rings home man. What makes me hopefull is I hear more and more people talking like you. The more there are real soccer fans around who understand the game and can see the obvious problems pleaguing our different levels, the more of a chance we have to fix them.

The CSA have done so much crap over the years, no one should trust them. I surely don't. But, I'd say the same for countless other soccer federations. The CSA is all over the place and is run like a country club, but at least it's not a rotten corrupt mafia run by druglords or by a media conglomorate, like so many others, so it might still be possible to fix it. The game can only grow from the ground up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl

“His overall potential and the state of mind he demonstrated during camp convinced me that he could help the group reach its objectives,” said Impact head coach Rémi Garde. “Our challenge now is to help him progress from a university level to the growing demands of MLS. I would like to welcome him to the Impact.”

That's cute. Reality is probably more like Ottawa calling and asking for leftovers for their visionless squad.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It all rings home man. What makes me hopefull is I hear more and more people talking like you. The more there are real soccer fans around who understand the game and can see the obvious problems pleaguing our different levels, the more of a chance we have to fix them.

The CSA have done so much crap over the years, no one should trust them. I surely don't. But, I'd say the same for countless other soccer federations. The CSA is all over the place and is run like a country club, but at least it's not a rotten corrupt mafia run by druglords or by a media conglomorate, like so many others, so it might still be possible to fix it. The game can only grow from the ground up.

The biggest positive is that BOTH big sports TV owners in Canada have stakes in TFC. It is in their interest to make soccer better AND to have more soccer content on their networks. Of course, it will make the Toronto-centric CSA even more Toronto-centric, but meh.

I'd love to have a Canada game in Montreal. When was the last one?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Palmeiras fans are flooding IMFC instagram posts to say "how good" Borja is lol. Looks like they want to get rid of him. :laugh:

wtf. Well. If we get him for free.. sure!

If it’s Piatti last year, we should not go all in this year ?

We wish but knowing Cheaputo and his unwillingness to bring a 3rd DP over the years...

.. anyhow, don't worry, we're getting Riyad Mahrez and Lionel Messi next Winter.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
The biggest positive is that BOTH big sports TV owners in Canada have stakes in TFC. It is in their interest to make soccer better AND to have more soccer content on their networks. Of course, it will make the Toronto-centric CSA even more Toronto-centric, but meh.

I'd love to have a Canada game in Montreal. When was the last one?

It was for Davies' senior NT debut.
June 2017, pre Gold Cup friendly. They played Curacao, they had a small bu decent crowd, and Piette's family and friends made all the noise (during the time hype was getting behind a potential move to imfc). AJH came in and scored the winner.
Before that it had been like 4 years, I think.

They get good crowds in Toronto, i'd expect they'll keep exploiting that, but there's potential here which they neglect. Bring a few more meaningfull games to Mtl with this new gen, and let's see.
On est pu' dans les années 70 là, de quoi y'on peur? It comes off as bad faith closed mindedness from a club of anglo snobs.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It was for Davies' senior NT debut.
June 2017, pre Gold Cup friendly. They played Curacao, they had a small bu decent crowd, and Piette's family and friends made all the noise (during the time hype was getting behind a potential move to imfc). AJH came in and scored the winner.
Before that it had been like 4 years, I think.

They get good crowds in Toronto, i'd expect they'll keep exploiting that, but there's potential here which they neglect. Bring a few more meaningfull games to Mtl with this new gen, and let's see.
On est pu' dans les années 70 là, de quoi y'on peur? It comes off as bad faith closed mindedness from a club of anglo snobs.

It is pretty much like that for all sports.

Québec and our athletes are often ostracized. I do not think it is out of hate, but mostly out of convenience. It often is because of language, especially with younger players. It is sad, but not really chocking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad