OT: Montreal Impact Thread LVIII - Euro Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I gotta give NDS his props, that's for sure. He is perhaps the best ambassador this club could have. Outside of maybe Joey himself, I don't think there is anyone who loves IMFC as dearly as NDS does. I also have to admit that he is a pretty good salesman. As some of you have pointed out, he managed to sign guys like Nesta and Drogba; that is no small feat. He has credibility abroad and he has valued contacts. He does make good international signings and has no problem finding international player. All of that is undeniable.

But, and it is a big but, he has no plan, or, if he has one, it isn't clear and it keeps changing. In 5 years, he never established a clear identity for the club. He is recruiting good players, but he is recruiting without a purpose. Venegas is a very good player and we should ask ourselves why he isn't producing more? Well, he doesn't fit within what we are trying to do. He is a second striker, not a pure winger. We do not use a second striker.

Now, we just got that attacker dude from Italy and are rumoured to go after an Argentinian.. both are target forwards. We do not have the wingers nor the full backs to provide them with quality crosses. Oduro doesn't cross, Piatti doesn't cross, Ontivero doesn't cross, Romero doesn't cross, Toia doesn't cross. Camara and Oyongo have offensive flair, but Camara doesn't really cross. Oyongo does. That's one player out of all of our guys that play wide. Even Drogba doesn't really fit our other attacking players. However, he produces because he is a freaking legend.

We have the wide players to play a possession game, but we sure don't have the midfield players to do so. Alexander, Mallace and Bekker have no creativity whatsoever. Donadel is all right in possession. Bernier is great in possession but he is old as dirt.

So, NDS got us very talented players, but they don't fit together at all. Our wingers are talented with the ball at their feet and they try to cut back to the middle and create while controlling the ball. Our forwards are mostly target forwards. So while he does get very talented players, he doesn't recruit with a purpose.

In a nutshell, the guy is a poor soccer mind. He should continue to be a recruiter, but he shouldn't be the one in charge of the plan. For those who think that's Braz job... well, you are naive. Braz is just NDS's lackey. Like Biello is NDS's lackey. He has all the power and THAT'S the problem. Joey trusts him too much. NDS has his strenght, but his weaknesses are holding the club back. We have money and NDS can get players, so we will always be great on paper and good enough on the pitch to make the playoffs. However, if we don't get a real soccer mind to maximize our resources, we will not be a consistent championship threat.

That's why I think NDS mustn't have all the power.

We need to get players that fit together. We have to get GOOD cap-friendly domestic players. We have to get the RIGHT international players. We need to make sure the players we acquire fit our playing style (what is our playing style, btw?).

The club has no direction and never had. We succeeded in D2 because we were richer than everyone else. Hell, our success in D2 is pretty tame; we were perpetual underachievers. In MLS, we have done okay, but we could/should do much better. Is it all on NDS? No, but he must shoulder a large part of the blame. Him and Joey. Joey should have seen his friend's limitations a long time ago. He didn't.

No offense Scandale du jour, but that is such a terrible post.

Impact are more structured than about 95% of the teams on the field. We've had a couple defensive collapses and injuries to both our DP's that makes us underachievers for now.

We aslo have gems like Cabrera, Oyongo, Toia and more that will be here for a long time. We have Laurent Ciman, the top defensmen in the league on a non-DP contract and a very young academy to boot. Shipp and Ontivero might explose offensivelysoon enough.

You REALLY need to stop analysing what this team did wrong and start analysing what this team has done as a whole, and more importantly, compared to the rest of the league. Look at teams like Salt Lake city, Philadelphia, Colorado, San Jose, Chicago and Toronto who've been dumpster fires for almost a whole decade. We've had 1 bad year where they made the necessary changes all the way to champions League.

Watch games other than the Impact, you'll retract more than half of what you said. I don't remember the last time I watched a game on ESPN where they didn't mention the Impact for some specific reason. Yesterday they mentioned that the Galaxy's 1 loss at home were against us for example.

No direction my foot. What are you expecting exactly for a team that's still in its early days in the league? Top 3 scoring year out and the 3 acsdemy stars on the bench just waiting?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
What I expect? A clear identity. Good tactics and recruitment that reflects those. That's it.

It is not because most teams are managed like **** that we have to do the same. "Oh, others suck more, so let's be satisfied"

When you think like that, you stagnate. I am not all doom and gloom, I am just saying that our model is heavily flawed and could be improved a lot. NDS has his qualities and he has his huge warts. Let's not ignore that because other clubs are run worse. It shouldn't be about where the MLS is, it should be about how IMFC could be better. There is no reasons to panic, but there are many reasons to criticize how the club operates.

Having a direction is having a clear and concise plan, we clearly have not. Or, if we have, I would like them to explain it to us because I just don't see it. Collection of talent that doesn't really fit together. Very flawed tactics as well. As for the Academy, we have to be patient, I agree. However, when they sign players from the Academy, it seems as though they have no plans for them. It is always about plugging holes to make sure we always stay in the ventre-mou. Never about maximizing our potential. If anything, Joey and Nick are too much like us fans, not patient enough.

P.S.: **** you Andy Murray :cry:

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
What I expect? A clear identity. Good tactics and recruitment that reflects those. That's it.

It is not because most team are managed like **** that we have to do the same. "Oh, others suck more, so let's be satisfied"

When you think like that, you stagnate. I am not all doom and gloom, I am just saying that our model is heavily flawed and could be improved a lot. NDS has his qualities and he has his huge warts. Let's not ignore that because other clubs are run worse. It shouldn't be about where the MLS is, it should be about how IMFC could be better. There is no reasons to panic, but there are many reasons to criticize how the club operates.

Having a direction is having a clear and concise plan, we clearly have not. Or, if we have, I would like them to explain it to use because I just don't see it. Collection of talent that doesn't really fit together. Very flawed tactics as well. As for the Academy, we have to be patient, I agree. However, when they sign players from the Academy, it seems as though they have no plans for them. It is always about plugging holes to make sure we always stay in the ventre-mou. Never about maximizing our potential. If anything, Joey and Nick are too much like us fans, not patient enough.
You need to pin point your thoughts.

You're giving out 0 examples on any of your opinions, just a vast view of things I'm in 100% disagreement.

What clear identity?? What plan?? We're 3rd in the Eastern Conference while we're massively underachieving.

Re-watch yesterday's game, especially in the 1st half, we made Salt Lake, a very good team this season, look like a bunch of amateurs tactically!

If it wasn't for Piatti slipping plus both Salazar and Shipp missing their kicks, it could easily of been 3-0 at the half. No structure?! Please.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Please explain what our system is? Are we a possession team? Are we a counter attacking team? Are we a defensive team? Are we an offensive team? What is our plan A? What is our plan B? How do we create offense?

We played a good half defensively yesterday, but got owned in the second half. Kinda happens often with RSL at home though. They let the other team exhaust itself then dominate the second half. What's our strategy?

I gave examples of our lack of a plan while recruiting. I pointed out that we have target forwards but no wide players that can cross. That is not a coincidence if the team does better with Oduro than it does with Drogba. Oduro stretches the field so our wide players can cut inside and create. He fits our skill players more than Drogba does. Drogba still produces because he is a legend and can adapt. The two target forwards we are in the process of acquiring will be isolated up front. We don't play with width and we very seldomly cross, why get target forwards and not false nines? Why do we keep launching long balls instead of building the play through guys like Piatti and Ontivero? (That would be because our midfield sucks, but why not address that instead of buying forwards we don't need?)

Results are fine, but don't let them influence you into not analyzing the process. The process is questionable. It can be improve. Doesn't mean we have to fire anyone.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Again, re-watch yesterday's 1st half. If you don't understand how the Impact play, I can't help you.This team is tactically way above average. We're not a1 trick pony team because we have depth at every position, minus striker because Drogba is injured.

Our recruitment is A1, if like I said earlier, you stop looking at just our team and you look at a global view of the league. If Braz and NDS were running the Sounders or TFC, they'd be better than they currently are.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Explain me the Impact overall strategy. What is our identity?

Great defending for one half after weeks of sucking defensively isn't a trend.

It's a team game. Tactics vary and adjustments are made in games. What MLS team, other than the Red Bulls high pressing, is such an obvious offensive system to the eye?

We're a team that beyond excels in short passes, we have wingers that are excellent and cutting inside, a mix of fast or strong strikers, a fantastic central defender combo and a lot of leadership on the field.

Your expectations are flat out ridiculous. We're 3rd in the conference with injured DP's, an open slot, a couple underachieving players and the Euro that took us Ciman for 3 games.

Edit: Let's play a different game shall we, name me 5, or even 3 teams, that are so better in both recruitment and tactic set-ups than the Impact?

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Pax, I don't think Scandale du jour is mad at the team and its performance, he just wants it to improve. It's pretty obvious that you don't have the same expectations as him.

Personally, I agree with Scandale when it comes to the Philosophy, or lack thereof. To be fair, considering we have hired older players the past few years probably makes it difficult to have a consistency and a 'ligne directrice' when it comes to the style of play and hirings. The fact that the team changed coaches every year certainly didn't help either. But honestly, from the outside, it looks like they are content with hiring talented players without looking at the team's needs or holes. The year following Di Vaio's departure is a great example of that. They based their success too much on one guy and didn't think he would retire. At least this time they seem to be proactive and prepare Didieu's retirement/leave, but since Bernardello left, there is a glaring hole in front of our defenders, Donadel is much better than we expected, but Alexander can't be starting every game. Bernier is a perfect late game sub, but he sadly doesn't have the legs anymore to play 90 minutes without becoming a liability.

I've got to give props to NDS and his crew though for replacing Mapp, Ontivero is slowly becoming a decent replacement. Their scouting was on point the past couple of years too to find hidden gems in Porter and Salazar.

But overall, I have a hard time understanding what's the plan.

RoadTotheCup

Apr 9, 2012
Good is the enemy of great!
That sum up this team, they are good, does a good job at recruiting, have talented players etc BUT...they are still plugin in pieces that are good individually but not that much as a whole.

We are doing good, doesn't mean we can't improve the obvious flaws he just pointed out and be even better.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
LAG, Portland, Vancouver, KC, NYRB.

My expectations aren't about resultsz they are about process, therefore about sustainability and improvement.

Galaxy has a different budget and over the course of their 20 year MLS existence and LA territory academy, hasn't developed that many superstar players. Vardes and Gonzalez are those that come to mind.

Portland looks like us on paper, they're not a step above us that's for sure. They went on a magical run that led to the cup, good on them.

Vancouver? Ok, that one I just don't get. They're tactically not even close to being on our level. Plus they just got lucky Toronto had to give Labs away. He's their rock, and not a domestic player.

KC is solid, they're academy is solid too. We'll get there soon enough, time of existence is what separates both clubs.

NYRB, not a chance. You'd probably still be freaking out over the Marquez move and how they handled the Tim Cahill situation. They have a DP in Veron who's been a disaster signing and mostly a bench player. They had Ouimette as a starter for the longest time too.

So you see, for ever glass half empty comment, there's a glass half full comment that goes with it.

Be more optimistic, things are looking damn fantastic for IMFC. They're pro-active, as they just shown this week, by already finding Drogba's replacement before he even left.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Why can't we have nice things?

NAZARE_OldWomanSleeping.jpg

bolinho-de-bacalhau.jpg

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
A bit late to the party, but just my 2 cents on yesterday's game

IMO, first half = best collective effort of the year. IMFC was beautiful to watch, things connected way more than during previous matches.

About Shipp, even though he scored a goal, I can simply not end up liking him. He just gives up so fast on the smallest challenge, or when a pass seems to go just a bit out of reach.

Mallace + Alexander as our two DMs, I didn't like it. They are way to similar players (slow and no creativity), I would've matched one of Bekker or Bernier with one of Alexander/Mallace.

Biello's subs were once again questionable. Toia for Oduro, then moving Piatti as a lone striker and Camara as a right midfielder? What the hell was that? I don't recall us EVER playing with 5 natural defenders.

All in all, it was a very good game against a very strong home team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad