OT: Montreal Impact Thread LVIII - Euro Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Atlanta made an offer for Hector Villalba, we should sign him. He'll be the perfect Piatti replacement and he's 10 years younger.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
:laugh: I was gonna but you portugueses already know how disappointing they always are.

Always? Not really. 2002 and 2014 were actual disappointment. 2004 hurts.

2000 - Eliminated by winner in the semis
2002 - Horse ****
2004 - Finalist. Should've won. But yeah, not the only team to lose to Greece that year.
2006 - Eliminated by finalist in the semis
2008 - Eliminated by finalist
2010 - Eliminated by winner
2012 - Eliminated by winner in the semis
2014 - Horse ****

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
the azzurri are so boring to watch when they have their way

i dunno about lukaku being so bad, it wasnt his best game but the dude scored 25 goals with everton last season... Altidore? Not really.
He was 2 inches away from scoring a nice one yesterday. I heard rumours arsenal might want him, he'd be better than giroud imo, but i still think vardy would suit them better though.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Atlanta made an offer for Hector Villalba, we should sign him. He'll be the perfect Piatti replacement and he's 10 years younger.

Villalba is a really good Argentinian prospect. If he goes to MLS it would be because of an offer he can't refuse. Even then I don't see him staying for more than a couple of years, he'll move to Europe. I think it's an unrealistic target for Atlanta.

Dec 2, 2010

2002 - Horse ****
2004 - Finalist. Should've won. But yeah, not the only team to lose to Greece that year.
2014 - Horse ****
Cmon man. The whole "eliminated by a winner" is a loser mentality. There's always a lot of individual quality in the squad. Too much to dish out the repeated disappointment and they absolutely should have beaten Greece despite the Cinderella run. I remember the Portuguese in town were an equal mix of livid and miserable.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Cmon man. The whole "eliminated by a winner" is a loser mentality. There's always a lot of individual quality in the squad. Too much to dish out the repeated disappointment and they absolutely should have beaten Greece despite the Cinderella run. I remember the Portuguese in town were an equal mix of livid and miserable.

Well, loser mentality, we haven't won ****.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
The way Portugal keeps getting qualified for tournaments (save for this Euro), no wonder why we're cynical. We keep expecting them to **** up... And they eventually do.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010

2002 - Horse ****
2014 - Horse ****

This is like saying the habs got eliminated by a team who made it to the conference / stanley cup finals year after year. Doesnt make the habs champions since 1993. Horrible list.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
This is like saying the habs got eliminated by a team who made it to the conference / stanley cup finals year after year. Doesnt make the habs champions since 1993. Horrible list.

That's thinking Portugal had a team to beat Spain or Germany in the past 8 years. Came close in 2012.

They had a team to beat Greece and France in 2004 and 2006.

It's hilarious though. They're never favorites to win it all and when they don't win, they're called disappointments. :laugh:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
That's thinking Portugal had a team to beat Spain or Germany in the past 8 years. Came close in 2012.

It's hilarious though. They're never favorites to win it all and when they don't win, they're called disappointments. :laugh:

More like Ronaldo is the disappointment. The "best" player in the world has not won anything internationally.

It's not his fault he's not Spanish or German

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
They're the Brazil of Europe. Of course they will be a disappointment if they lose.

I wish we were. 5 WC and quite a bit of continental titles.

I wish we had Ronaldo during the peak of the Golden Generation. That team had everything but someone to score goals. Pauleta and Nuno Gomes lol

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
France has a really talented squad... Who should also start winning games before the 90th minute. And Evra... Really reached his best before date.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010

In my eyes, Portugal is a one man team just like Poland, Wales, Sweden and some others. I never have expectations for Portugal.

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Joey Alfieri caught up with Harry Shipp. Interesting read about his struggles on the field.

For me mentally, I was dealing with some tough stuff for a month or two,†Shipp said after training on Thursday.

“The last week or two, especially these last three days is the first time I’ve really felt like myself in a while, which is encouraging.â€

The 24-year-old went from playing in the comfort of his home city of Chicago, Illinois to being on a new team, in a new country and having to deal with a new language. The fact that it’s taking him time to adapt to his new surroundings isn’t surprising to Shipp.

"I knew it wasn’t gonna be smooth. It wasn’t gonna be peaches every week from the beginning,†added Shipp. “I think for me, it was just acknowledging that and stopping to overthink things. I caught myself overthinking everything and overanalyzing everything.

https://joeyalfieri.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/harry-shipp-looks-to-put-recent-struggles-behind-him/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad