OT: Montreal Impact thread: Is it 2018 yet? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
IMFC supposedly interested in a Newells defender Nehuen Paz (via Nilton Jorge). He's 1.93 meters, 24 years, good on headers and can play with both feet. With the Boldor experiment likely over, he looks to be the next diamond in the rough project at central defense.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
It seems too obvious that Clement Grenier will end up with the Impact at some point. It has to happen.
Clement Grenier? Screw Grenier, he's a bootleg version of Gourcuff but with more injuries and he looks like he doesn't even know where Canada is. If we need to sign a player it has to be Gourcuff or Hatem Ben Arfa. I know at least one of them will join the team in the future. Someone call their agent asap. Especially Ben Arfa. I'll drive Hatem around the city myself the day he joins.

So, JP, still think Ligue 1 is boring? ;)
Meh, I mean it happens at least once a year. Sometimes when a team thinks they're too good they tend to lose to inferior teams. I bet ya if they replay the game next week, PSG will win easy. Don't you remember Alcorconazo? Where Real Madrid lost 4-0 to Alcorcon a then3rd division Spanish team in a Copa del Rey matchup where Benzema and Raul had like almost no shots on target?

I mean good for Strasborg to pull the shocker and create some buzz but it'll take more than that to find Ligue 1 exciting.... Hopefully we see more of that in the future

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Not only those two, they also brought in guys like Svensson, Nouhou, Victor Rodriguez (who was excellent last night)... Seattle have a lot more depth overall than last year.
I'm glad you mentioned about Nouhou. He really goes under the radar. I've watched him play maybe 3 or 4 times, dude can play anywhere on the field LB, LW, RB, DM, he's fast, strong, can win 1v1, knows how to dribble, agile and composed with the ball. If I'm Oyongo I'm worried for my NT spot. There's no way Oyongo, as good as he can be will match Nouhou in 2 years time. He is better than Oyongo already IMO. Keep in mind he's only 20, dangerous player for the future and Cameroon. He won't stay in Seattle for long. Even tho I have NO IDEA where they got him from. He just popped out of nowhere. (I hope I didn't jinx it for the final but he'll play an important part).

A lot of people have TFC as their favorites, but I think Seattle will win this. They didn't allow a single goal in the playoffs. Ozzie Alonso (who is the better Bradley), Roman Torres, Roldan, Jones, Dempsey, Bruin, Nouhou, Marshall, Frei, Svensson, Lodeiro. 'Nuff said

U know you have a hell of a good team when a player like Victor Rodriguez a La Liga player, in his prime is a bench option.

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Clement Grenier? Screw Grenier, he's a bootleg version of Gourcuff but with more injuries and he looks like he doesn't even know where Canada is. If we need to sign a player it has to be Gourcuff or Hatem Ben Arfa. I know at least one of them will join the team in the future. Someone call their agent asap. Especially Ben Arfa. I'll drive Hatem around the city myself the day he joins.

I'd gladly take Ben Arfa over Dzemaili any day.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Jordan Ferri is also rumored to be on the market at OL, with Grenier.

I'd much prefer to be hearing rumors about Jordan Ferri coming to IMFC. He could be a good replacement for Bernier, or Dzemaili.

Grenier would be injury prone like Donadel, half the time he's on the injury list (like right now I beleive), but Grenier is 26... And I'm not sure if he'd win in a race against Donadel, lol.
Keep your money for something better, imo.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I'd gladly take Ben Arfa over Dzemaili any day.
I'd take Ben Arfa over anyone.
He strikes me as the type 'I wanna stay in Europe to go back with the NT'. If Grenier comes to MLS with a DP tag, he'll flop bigger than Ryan Reynolds career pre-Deadpool. Slower than my grandad driving through a school zone, weak, scrawny and injury prone. Pass. He should go try Spain or Germany. More technical and less physical. He isn't even that good to begin with.

Idk alot about Ferri, but I know on paper, he would be a good addition.

Bipolar dude : Laurent Ciman n’est pas contre un retour en Belgique après la Coupe du Monde: « Mais pas à Anderlecht » | Redzone didn't he say about 2 weeks ago that he wants to stay in MLS?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
JP, do you even consider how the guys you want to bring in would fit our team as people? Ben Arfa would be public enemy #1 by week 4 of the season. Not a good idea. Skill is there, but the guy is a diva and he doesn't have the "social capital" Drogba had.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
JP, do you even consider how the guys you want to bring in would fit our team as people? Ben Arfa would be public enemy #1 by week 4 of the season. Not a good idea. Skill is there, but the guy is a diva and he doesn't have the "social capital" Drogba had.
I never heard of Ben Arfa having problems with his teammates. He's someone easy to get along with, respectful from what I can tell. He never had a problem at Nice or PSG. He wants to see his lucrative contract at PSG (can't blame him) and they want to offload him asap. So he looks like the bad guy. Garde knows him, he knows how to handle him. I don't see why not. Sure he can be annoying but so is Dze and a couple of DPs around the league. Anyway, Drogba who's by far the most annoying and diva'ish player played in this team, we could handle Ben Arfa just fine.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I never heard of Ben Arfa having problems with his teammates. He's someone easy to get along with, respectful from what I can tell. He never had a problem at Nice or PSG. He wants to see his lucrative contract at PSG (can't blame him) and they want to offload him asap. So he looks like the bad guy. Garde knows him, he knows how to handle him. I don't see why not. Sure he can be annoying but so is Dze and a couple of DPs around the league. Anyway, Drogba who's by far the most annoying and diva'ish player played in this team, we could handle Ben Arfa just fine.

JP, you might want to read this... Mario Balotelli-Hatem Ben Arfa, les enfants terribles du foot

Maybe Garde could control him, but I'll have my doubts before I see it work. He sure is talented though...

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
JP, you might want to read this... Mario Balotelli-Hatem Ben Arfa, les enfants terribles du foot

Maybe Garde could control him, but I'll have my doubts before I see it work. He sure is talented though...

I don't see what you're implying with your link ? I didn't see anything striking, perhaps I'm missing something?

He's one the favorites in the PSG locker room, they just don't say anything. The problem he had in England was I believe due to the language barrier. He couldn't communicate properly and was wrongly managed. He was then sent on loan to Hull City... and showed no emotion, I mean I'd be depressed as hell too, being the #1 French prospect with the biggest potential in an Europa league team to a relegation team due to miscommunications. I remember seeing a match of his while he played at Hull, the stadium was so empty you could hear the manager yelling 'Hatem, track back, track back'. You could see pure sadness in Hatem's eyes as he didn't even bother to follow his instructions nor glance at him, like he really didn't wanna be there. His problem at PSG currently, is that Emery doesn't like him. He didn't sign him, the president did and he wasn't too pleased about it, also the fact that he ballhogs doesn't help.

That being said, he would fit right in under A PROPER manager who knows how to handle him and a team he would feel valued. Remi Garde is the guy for it, he knows him. He even tried to sign him at Aston Villa, #BenArfaWatch let's start it.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Well that's way too late for him at his age. He got screwed over at Paris. Nobody said he is thinking about MLS, I'm just saying he seems like a realistic target.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Clément Grenier watch update;

His last 2 Twitter followings are

1) Tiago Jacekniak. He's the OM fan who called the Semi Garde to Montreal hiring about half a day before anyone else.

2) the official MLS Twitter account.

This possibility is starting to be more and more realistic now that Marseille has released him of his contract 6 months before the end.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
You mean Lyon. I think they're still trying to shop him around in L1 though.

I say (and hope) he goes to NYCFC if he comes to MLS.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I don't see what you're implying with your link ? I didn't see anything striking, perhaps I'm missing something?

He's one the favorites in the PSG locker room, they just don't say anything. The problem he had in England was I believe due to the language barrier. He couldn't communicate properly and was wrongly managed. He was then sent on loan to Hull City... and showed no emotion, I mean I'd be depressed as hell too, being the #1 French prospect with the biggest potential in an Europa league team to a relegation team due to miscommunications. I remember seeing a match of his while he played at Hull, the stadium was so empty you could hear the manager yelling 'Hatem, track back, track back'. You could see pure sadness in Hatem's eyes as he didn't even bother to follow his instructions nor glance at him, like he really didn't wanna be there. His problem at PSG currently, is that Emery doesn't like him. He didn't sign him, the president did and he wasn't too pleased about it, also the fact that he ballhogs doesn't help.

That being said, he would fit right in under A PROPER manager who knows how to handle him and a team he would feel valued. Remi Garde is the guy for it, he knows him. He even tried to sign him at Aston Villa, #BenArfaWatch let's start it.

Here's an example, that happened in Marseille.

J'ai dit à Hatem que la meilleure façon est de s'entraîner pour être physiquement opérationnel. Il a pris ensuite une décision radicale. Je ne suis pas fou. Ce n'est pas la meilleure façon de se préparer pour une rencontre internationale, a déclaré Blanc.

Ben Arfa, en conflit ouvert avec ses dirigeants, refuse de s'entraîner avec le groupe dans l'attente de son transfert vers un autre club. Dans une interview à L'Equipe, Ben Arfa s'estimait récemment traité comme "un paquet de lessive", se disant prêt mettre sa carrière entre parenthèses" plutôt que de continuer à jouer à Marseille.

Laurent Blanc : "Ben Arfa s'élimine lui-même" de la liste des 23

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Clément Grenier watch update;

His last 2 Twitter followings are

1) Tiago Jacekniak. He's the OM fan who called the Semi Garde to Montreal hiring about half a day before anyone else.

2) the official MLS Twitter account.

This possibility is starting to be more and more realistic now that Marseille has released him of his contract 6 months before the end.

Fake news

Here's an example, that happened in Marseille.

J'ai dit à Hatem que la meilleure façon est de s'entraîner pour être physiquement opérationnel. Il a pris ensuite une décision radicale. Je ne suis pas fou. Ce n'est pas la meilleure façon de se préparer pour une rencontre internationale, a déclaré Blanc.

Ben Arfa, en conflit ouvert avec ses dirigeants, refuse de s'entraîner avec le groupe dans l'attente de son transfert vers un autre club. Dans une interview à L'Equipe, Ben Arfa s'estimait récemment traité comme "un paquet de lessive", se disant prêt mettre sa carrière entre parenthèses" plutôt que de continuer à jouer à Marseille.

Laurent Blanc : "Ben Arfa s'élimine lui-même" de la liste des 23
I'm not saying he's angel and not a troublemaker. Yes he can be one, but my point is if he's free next summer and is willing to come here, why dig dirt on his past from 8 years ago when we all know of what he's capable of doing where it matters. He never had beefs with his teammates as far as I know. He carried Nice single-handedly now imagine in Montreal with Piatti and Dzemaili.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Fake news

I'm not saying he's angel and not a troublemaker. Yes he can be one, but my point is if he's free next summer and is willing to come here, why dig dirt on his past from 8 years ago when we all know of what he's capable of doing where it matters. He never had beefs with his teammates as far as I know. He carried Nice single-handedly now imagine in Montreal with Piatti and Dzemaili.

I have no idea about how he is with teammates, but he sure seems to have a problem with authority. Maybe Garde could reason him, but again, he's not a young up and coming star anymore like he was back in Lyon, he's a veteran. Would he react similarly to Garde's coaching or would he revolt?

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
You simply avoid players like Ben Arfa and Sneijder because they dont have a "team first" mentality. If you want to win trophies you need a totally dedicated team, especially your most talented players.

The reality of spending and salaries in MLS makes it all that more important to not just throw your money at anyone and hope for the best... like at an underwhelming injury prone player on a steady decline like Grenier.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Players are human beings. Introducing a problem person in a lockerroom can destroy the team, especially if the leadership group isn't strong. With Bernier gone, with no Drogba, with a new coach, etc, I wouldn't say the leadership group is consolidated yet. It would be the WORST time to bring in a problem child. A bad apple can REALLY spoil the bunch.

When you have a system like Bill Belichick has with the Pats, you can take chances on players with problems as they will be kept in lines by the other players/the system. Same thing happened with Sean Avery with NYR. Shanahan kept him in line. My perception is that IMFC's lockerroom isn't strong enough to control a guy la Ben Arfa. When we had Drogba, Bernier and Camara + were winning on the pitch? That would have been better timing. Now? Nope, not the time.

Really, it is people management 101. It isn't FIFA18. The players aren't just a collection of talented individual, they have to become a team, live as a team and work as a team. If they don't, no matter the talent, you won't win. That's the part you don't seem to understand JP.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Sneijder with LAG.

Also, according to Arcadio's argentine sources, one says the deal for Nehuén Paz is 100% done, while another said he'd be transferred to River Plate and it's actually a central D, Jony Maidana (32 yo), who'd be heading towards the MLS.

Reactions: ShaMu

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Sneijder with LAG.

Also, according to Arcadio's argentine sources, one says the deal for Nehuén Paz is 100% done, while another said he'd be transferred to River Plate and it's actually a central D, Jony Maidana (32 yo), who'd be heading towards the MLS.

Yeah, apparently we were in competition with River Plate for Nehuen Paz. But If we get Jonatan Maidana, now that would be great!

He's a really solid D with a lot of big game experience. He can shut down players like Gignac, like he did in the Libertadores semis in 2015. He'd automatically be our best player in the air, both for defending and scoring on set peices. At 32, he's not getting younger though, but right now he would be one of the best defenders in the league, imo. And he's spent time in Ukrania, it wouldnt be his first time playing outside of Argentina.

Now this is the type of rumor that gets me excited. That's more like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad