Pre-Game Talk: Montreal has a game tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
So weird seeing so many people so pessimistic. I don't blame you. I still think the Habs have what it takes, I just hate how they're playing lately.

Here's hoping they pull this off!

The way Therrien handles this team kills it for me. Our offense is based on depth and scoring that three lines can provide ; puts mostly (almost only) one line in a position to succeed offensively. We have one of the smallest team in the whole league ; decides to switch from a two-man pressure system (which was quite succesful) to a defensive, grinding system that requires our players to win a lot of battles, something really hard for our small players (and it clearly showed against NJ). We have some talented players ; the dump and chase kills most of the creativity on the team. Our possession players like Eller, Paches, Subban, Plekanec, Galchy and Briere stopped controling the puck as a result, and thus, limit their effectiveness at 5 vs 5. Everybody in the league has our PP figured out, yet, we continue to do the same freaking thing over and over again instead of using what the teams think we'll do against them and actually do something new. We were also supposed to be a young team and yet, it seems like the veteran get most of the ice time ; 10 mins a night for Galchy before his injury, a young surprising Bournival was demoted from a line that had success to which he contributed for no apparent reason. That's maybe more on Bergevin than Therrien, but I'd also prefer so see the young d-man than some of the old guys on the back end.

Direct result: a pretty boring team to watch that struggles to win and when they do, it's not really convincing (save for the Hawks game). That's obviously just my opinion, though.

TheRooster

Dec 31, 2013
Montreal
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=conference

Look at the Last 10 games of every team in the eastern conference, 12 points in 10 games is really not that bad.

True, especially when you take a look at some of the other teams.

Boston with 10 points, Tampa with 11, Toronto with 12, Washington with 10, etc...
They're not doing as bad as this board makes it out to be, even though there's been quite a few problems.

Also just saw that Chicago lost half of their last 10 games in OT :amazed:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
True, especially when you take a look at some of the other teams.

Boston with 10 points, Tampa with 11, Toronto with 12, Washington with 10, etc...
They're not doing as bad as this board makes it out to be, even though there's been quite a few problems.

Also just saw that Chicago lost half of their last 10 games in OT :amazed:

Yeah, and Nashville's constant playoff appearance were soooo threatening. The regular season is a marathon and there is quite a bit of coasting from all teams because of the long grind itself...You don't have to be all that great to be a playoff contender....

anonymous9739872329

May 3, 2006
Around MTL
Yeah, and Nashville's constant playoff appearance were soooo threatening. The regular season is a marathon and there is quite a bit of coasting from all teams because of the long grind itself...You don't have to be all that great to be a playoff contender....

2011 - Boston Bruins won the cup while being 7th in the league.
2012 - LA Kings won the cup while being 13th in the league.

There is less and less disparity between the clubs making the playoffs, except for the Penguins and the Blackhawks who have been dominating in the last 5-6 years. Nevertheless, when those two teams are eliminated, it's a wildcard afterwards.

TheRooster

Dec 31, 2013
Montreal

There's no doubt that they need to add pieces in order to become a playoff contender, but at the moment they're making do. They're still 3rd in their division by a couple of points. Despite being outplayed lately, they've found ways to win. Sure, it could be better, but it could also be worse.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

There is less and less disparity between the clubs making the playoffs, except for the Penguins and the Blackhawks who have been dominating in the last 5-6 years. Nevertheless, when those two teams are eliminated, it's a wildcard afterwards.

It's not so much 'Where' the team is, it's 'What' the team is. My concern is that the Habs' scoring depth which is thin and easy to shut down in January, will be even more fragile in May after fatigue and bruises catch up to them.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The way Therrien handles this team kills it for me. Our offense is based on depth and scoring that three lines can provide ; puts mostly (almost only) one line in a position to succeed offensively. We have one of the smallest team in the whole league ; decides to switch from a two-man pressure system (which was quite succesful) to a defensive, grinding system that requires our players to win a lot of battles, something really hard for our small players (and it clearly showed against NJ). We have some talented players ; the dump and chase kills most of the creativity on the team. Our possession players like Eller, Paches, Subban, Plekanec, Galchy and Briere stopped controling the puck as a result, and thus, limit their effectiveness at 5 vs 5. Everybody in the league has our PP figured out, yet, we continue to do the same freaking thing over and over again instead of using what the teams think we'll do against them and actually do something new. We were also supposed to be a young team and yet, it seems like the veteran get most of the ice time ; 10 mins a night for Galchy before his injury, a young surprising Bournival was demoted from a line that had success to which he contributed for no apparent reason. That's maybe more on Bergevin than Therrien, but I'd also prefer so see the young d-man than some of the old guys on the back end.

Direct result: a pretty boring team to watch that struggles to win and when they do, it's not really convincing (save for the Hawks game). That's obviously just my opinion, though.

It's essentially a return to Martin hockey. With the added frustration that we know this specific roster is better than its showing, that this coach can implement better gameplans. Hell, even Bergevin has demonstrated better pro-scouting acumen his first season than he demonstrated last offseason.

This organization is underachieving almost universally and there aren't any answers as to why its happening.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

No one in their right mind wouldn't expected the Islanders to last past Round 2 last year even if they made past Round 1 because their defense is terrible. Nor Ottawa because they were playing for the tie all season long. Grant, I bought into the hype that Montreal somehow had a chance for the Cup, but that required facing Boston, who we always play well against.

For every Boston(who weren't really that poor performining) or LA, there are many more one-and-dones or two-and-dones. The difference is in the makeup of their teams. If the team has untapped potential still in there, they could be a sleeper, but if the team is playing over their heads or a style that is like treading water, they will not make it.

The addition of Carter and a coach who utilized his pieces more properly than his predecessor transformed the Kings for a bubble team to a dominant one from then on, and it continues to this day. But the Kings had a deep, skilled team with depth at the critical positions (top 6 C, all three pairs of D, and competent bottom liners that didn't screw things up). Or in other words, they had a makeup like other top Cup winning teams...

Similarly, the Bruins had their share of skill--often bashed and never appreciated by Habs fans, as if Horton, Marchand, Lucic, were grinders that couldn't even eclipse 20 goals, and a team built for the playoff grind. Their D was sort of weaker on the bottom pair, but they also had a top notch penalty kill along with a solid system in place.

68*

Let's wreck these ****s. Their fans are up there with Bruins fans.

6-0 Habs, bloody nose for Gryba.
Karlsson -6

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
It's essentially a return to Martin hockey. With the added frustration that we know this specific roster is better than its showing, that this coach can implement better gameplans. Hell, even Bergevin has demonstrated better pro-scouting acumen his first season than he demonstrated last offseason.

This organization is underachieving almost universally and there aren't any answers as to why its happening.

Yeah, pretty much. I also feel that the structure isn't as good as Martin's. Or the players aren't buying it as well as they did with JM. Maybe a bit of both.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, pretty much. I also feel that the structure isn't as good as Martin's. Or the players aren't buying it as well as they did with JM. Maybe a bit of both.

They may not be buying in because its not as effective strategy as Therrien's first system which lead to consistent control of the puck and flow of the game.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
So weird seeing so many people so pessimistic. I don't blame you. I still think the Habs have what it takes, I just hate how they're playing lately.

Here's hoping they pull this off!

I am just so tired of the bipolar hockey play. From one night to another, you don't know what team you are going to get.

How can a team play so well against the Hawks and then pull such a stinker against a team like the Devils ...or Florida for example? Its just mind boggling.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I am just so tired of the bipolar hockey play. From one night to another, you don't know what team you are going to get.

How can a team play so well against the Hawks and then pull such a stinker against a team like the Devils ...or Florida for example? Its just mind boggling.

Simple, they tried against Chicago and simply showed up against the other 2.

I bet everyone will get drunk tonight.

jd_costco.jpg

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
There's no doubt that they need to add pieces in order to become a playoff contender, but at the moment they're making do. They're still 3rd in their division by a couple of points. Despite being outplayed lately, they've found ways to win. Sure, it could be better, but it could also be worse.

Our D corps is unacceptable. Murray and Bouillon might be better than Oskars Bartulis, but they contribute to the leakiness of the D. Diaz has no offense and struggles at times to win puck battles but can make a breakout pass. Emelin is more off than on these days and Gorges makes a couple bodychecks and sucks for the rest of the game.

Our forward corps is not particularly productive, and is riddled with guys who put up numbers but show on video to be particularly adept at the categories they are accumulating stats in. Bourque and Gionta aren't ****ing goalscorers yet people think they are. Briere is not and assist machine, and DD could very well disappear at times, especially if Pacioretty has those moments when he mails it in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad