Proposal: Montreal - Florida

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
Only on the HFBoards parallel universe does the best goalie in the world, according to his peers, have a negative value.

Habs can do better than a #3-4 defenseman as the main piece if they ever decide to trade Price... which they won't anyway.
It might have to do with the fact that he had an objectively horrible year right before an 8 year 10.5M extension kicked in. I'm sure he'll rebound, but based on last year alone (which I know is unfair) he's maybe worth 1/10 of his current cap hit.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
It might have to do with the fact that he had an objectively horrible year right before an 8 year 10.5M extension kicked in. I'm sure he'll rebound, but based on last year alone (which I know is unfair) he's maybe worth 1/10 of his current cap hit.

As long as Price is considered to be the best goaltender, and by a landslide, his value remains. Now that might change if he has a 2nd bad season in a row. But for now pretty much every expert expect him to rebound.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I agree that around the league he has positive value with most GMs, but I wouldn't take him personally.

I think a lot of GM’s would like the player, but not many would take on that contract. There would have to be retention and/or a bad contract going back IF he was ever moved.

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Brutal for Florida. You’re not getting some massive haul for Price. Brutal contract.

Price has negative value. Matheson is a stud.

Lockr’ up

Lol 10.5 million for a stud goalie isn't "brutal"

sure it isn't great by any stretch, but paying 8-ish million is totally acceptable, and the cap is going to keep on rising, so I think people really overreact to that contract.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Only on the HFBoards parallel universe does the best goalie in the world, according to his peers, have a negative value.

Habs can do better than a #3-4 defenseman as the main piece if they ever decide to trade Price... which they won't anyway.

I have an issue with calling a goalie with a .900 SV% and 3.11 GAA the best goalie in the world.

He's got a pretty extensive injury history at this point, has a buyout proof contract , is due 15 million dollars cash this year and next and is signed until he's 38. This is not something teams are going to be falling over themselves to sign up for at this point. Even if he stays healthy and remembers how to play hockey the Habs are going to have a hard time unloading that hot mess of a contract without retention.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I guess my Price to FLA idea caught some wind around here.
Price has to come with some retention.

$2 to 2.5 million at least and take out Matheson. I'm willing to pay but not without MON biting the bullet on their mistake

2019 1st + Heponiemi + McGinn + Reimer
For
Price @ $8million

We aren’t retaining $2-2.5 million for the next 8 seasons without getting full trade value back.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What's full value then?

Better then a mid-late first, some average prospects, and a cap dump on top of the large amount of salary/cap we’re already retaining. We have goalies in our system, you’d have to find a way to unload Reimer somewhere else if we ever considered holding on to that much cap and money for 8 years for starters. Even then, I’m not sure what the value would be with Price at $8 million. We already paid $15 million of the contract so it which works perfectly for a budget team like Florida. We would want something of real value that would help us moving forward.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
IMO Price peaked already - guess we'll see for next year. Or maybe he is injured half of it yet again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad