Paul Byron

:panthers

James Reimer
Michael Matheson
Jamie McGinn
Another piece?
1st round pick

No retention.

For this upcoming season salary is the same. Next two years Reimer and Matheson equal 8.22 still not a big difference in cap.

Matheson and Price both on 8yr deals. I feel it could be a fit, to help with the cap hit of Price.

Panthers upgrade McGinn with Byron who more offensive and faster. Help the PK.

Panthers have good offense and just about made it last year. I think with a great goalie like Price with their play in front of him they’d of made the playoffs. I think he helps them get there.

Looking at it, it seems close might need one more piece going to the Habs. I think Matheson makes it a good deal. What do you guys think?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You're not getting Matheson.

Defense already needs a top4RD in Florida and after this trade they'd have only 2 quality D-men left without a #1D.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Love Price, don’t see us taking on that contract, even if you are taking back Optimus Reims.

Matheson is a no go. He’s signed long term and is continually improving

Reactions: Narwian

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I for one look forward to the upcoming years of Price proposals until his HF fan value drops to Price, winger, 2nd. Bring on the next era

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
:habs

Carey Price
Paul Byron

:panthers

James Reimer
Michael Matheson
Jamie McGinn
Another piece?
1st round pick

No retention.

For this upcoming season salary is the same. Next two years Reimer and Matheson equal 8.22 still not a big difference in cap.

Matheson and Price both on 8yr deals. I feel it could be a fit, to help with the cap hit of Price.

Panthers upgrade McGinn with Byron who more offensive and faster. Help the PK.

Panthers have good offense and just about made it last year. I think with a great goalie like Price with their play in front of him they’d of made the playoffs. I think he helps them get there.

Looking at it, it seems close might need one more piece going to the Habs. I think Matheson makes it a good deal. What do you guys think?

You just had to make a Price proposal did you? After the season he just had, the contract he just signed and the Habs cap situation, every Price trade premise is bad for everyone.

Reactions: BernieParent

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I understand the Habs will probably have to take a bad contract back should they trade Price, but that's not the kind of package I would be going for at all personally.
And I see absolutely no reason to include Byron in there.

I like Matheson a lot, but I'd rather see us trade Price for a package of prospect + 1st + cap dump, and then trade Byron for a good return at the deadline than making that offer.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I guess my Price to FLA idea caught some wind around here.
Price has to come with some retention.

$2 to 2.5 million at least and take out Matheson. I'm willing to pay but not without MON biting the bullet on their mistake

2019 1st + Heponiemi + McGinn + Reimer
For
Price @ $8million

Last edited:

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I guess my Price to FLA idea caught some wind around here.
Price has to come with some retention.

$2 to 2.5 million at least and take out Matheson. I'm willing to pay but not without MON biting the bullet on their mistake

2019 1st + Heponiemi + McGinn + Reimer
For
Price @ $8million

That would be a no from me.

I don't see why the Habs should take back contracts back if they're eating $2.5m per on Price.
Price's value at $8.0m per over 8-years is a lot different than Price at $10.5m.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That would be a no from me.

I don't see why the Habs should take back contracts back if they're eating $2.5m per on Price.
Price's value at $8.0m per over 8-years is a lot different than Price at $10.5m.

Because most teams would need cap space to take him on even at $8million per year. McGinn is a UFA end of this year and Reimer has 3 years left.
Plus Price has a NMC, so you can't just trade him anywhere.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Only on the HFBoards parallel universe does the best goalie in the world, according to his peers, have a negative value.

Habs can do better than a #3-4 defenseman as the main piece if they ever decide to trade Price... which they won't anyway.

Reactions: CapSpace

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Because most teams would need cap space to take him on even at $8million per year. McGinn is a UFA end of this year and Reimer has 3 years left.
Plus Price has a NMC, so you can't just trade him anywhere.

...or have to trade him, at all.

You have to understand two things when it comes to Carey Price in Montreal.

a) I don't think Molson has it in him to trade Carey Price. Not now anyway. He knows the fans around here are still pissed about the Subban trade, and are quite angry at the way the organization handled Galchenyuk. Unless the return is so overwhelmingly good that he can't refuse, I don't think Molson can afford to trade Price. While many 'hardcore' hockey fans would understand the trade, it would cause an uproar amongst the more common ones. I'm not sure Molson would feel comfortable trading Price knowing that.

b) As much as it would make sense for the Habs to trade him to jump-start their rebuild, Price has more value to the organization than he has on the trade market right now. And as dumb as Bergevin is, chances are even he realizes that. You don't trade a goaltender like Price for a 'meh' return at his current value...you give him a chance to rebound first, and then you look at the possibility of trading him. Don't get me wrong, at $10.5m per, Price will never be seen as a bargain. But if he comes back to his former self, that's a price the organization is apparently willing to pay for a goaltender of his caliber.

The reason why so many Hab fans around here are mentioning Carey's name is because he's seen by many of us as someone who could bring us near a playoffs spot, while we are hoping for a rebuild. A rebuild that this organization isn't even ready to think about (or commit to) apparently. For them, it's a 1-2 year retool. Unless your GM can convince Molson that he should rebuild this organization entirely, I don't see him even entertain the idea of selling low on Price.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
...or have to trade him, at all.

You have to understand two things when it comes to Carey Price in Montreal.

a) I don't think Molson has it in him to trade Carey Price. Not now anyway. He knows the fans around here are still pissed about the Subban trade, and are quite angry at the way the organization handled Galchenyuk. Unless the return is so overwhelmingly good that he can't refuse, I don't think Molson can afford to trade Price. While many 'hardcore' hockey fans would understand the trade, it would cause an uproar amongst the more common ones. I'm not sure Molson would feel comfortable trading Price knowing that.

b) As much as it would make sense for the Habs to trade him to jump-start their rebuild, Price has more value to the organization than he has on the trade market right now. And as dumb as Bergevin is, chances are even he realizes that. You don't trade a goaltender like Price for a 'meh' return at his current value...you give him a chance to rebound first, and then you look at the possibility of trading him. Don't get me wrong, at $10.5m per, Price will never be seen as a bargain. But if he comes back to his former self, that's a price the organization is apparently willing to pay for a goaltender of his caliber.

The reason why so many Hab fans around here are mentioning Carey's name is because he's seen by many of us as someone who could bring us near a playoffs spot, while we are hoping for a rebuild. A rebuild that this organization isn't even ready to think about (or commit to) apparently. For them, it's a 1-2 year retool. Unless your GM can convince Molson that he should rebuild this organization entirely, I don't see him even entertain the idea of selling low on Price.

I understand both points mentioned. You guys are in the worst place though, not a contender and not a bottom feeder if Price plays to his abilities.

So are you magically going to make the playoffs this year, I'd strongly bet NO.
Are you bad enough to finish bottom 5 again? POSSIBLY.

Price, if moved would signal a total tear down and I think that is the smart way to go, whether Molson or Bergevin realize this, is the question that needs to be answered.

I think you guys are a bit further away than a 1-2 year retool, it may take 2 years to stock the cupboards but then you have to wait for those kids to get experience and become prime aged impact players. I'd say you won't be competitive for at least 3-4 years and by then, Price is nearing 34-35 years of age.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Tavares is 27y, Kane is 29y with 5 years left.
Last time I checked neither of them are goalies.

The point?

Most elite goalies play well into their late 30s. Luongo, Brodeur, Hasek, Rinne, Belfour, Joseph, Lundkviqst and many more. Unless Carey has a really bad injury, I don't see why he couldn't do the same...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad